Sennheiser ponderings
Dec 26, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 57
I'm glad you ended up with the HD580. With them going so affordably now, it really confuses me that people are still buying lesser headphones.

Dec 26, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 57
Heh. And the 580s aren't really discontinued. They were supposed to have been replaced by the 590 years ago, but Sennheiser changed their minds
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 26, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #18 of 57
Very true Joe...

Between Sennheiser with their HD580s and Sony with their MDR-V6... both supposedly discontinued, but still manufactured... they either know what they've got is good and try to panic people into buying them... or, consumer demand wins the day, and they've taken a step back to continue producing them... not quite sure which one is the truer statement.

I've seen somewhere here that the HD590 along with the other 'bionetic' 'phones are being phased out... that'd be quite... erm, ironic... That the model (590) to replace the older (580) design gets taken out of the market first...

Dec 26, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #19 of 57
The 590 is no worse a headphone than the 580... they're higher, a bit harsher and have more pronounced bass.

Overall, they're not as easy to listen to, but for some people, and for some types of music, that's preferred.

Dec 26, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
by the way, nice avatar of Alizee
biggrin.gif

thanks
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
Congrats on your purchase. The 580s are a good headphone. However, they are a better headphone when paired with a dedicated headphone amplifier. So start saving money for an amp and a replacement cable, the sound will open up bigtime. Oh, someone forget to tell ya, Welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

ok. now i've seen this "sorry about your wallet" several times now.

care to explain?
confused.gif

is it just in regards to sennheisers or is it just a blanket statement towards any nicer headphone?

if they truly are close to the performance of the HD600's i can't see how this is not a great deal at 105 bucks compared to 250+

Dec 26, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #22 of 57
This is what I have read:
The 580+aftermarket cables (clou blue/red jaspis, cardas, equinox) will be better than the HD600. However, the cardas and equinox run over $140. The clou red can be picked up used here in the gear forum for around $70.

In general, in places other than head-fi, many people say that they can't hear the difference between the 580 and 600. Here on head-fi, those with better ears generally say that the difference is subtle, but definitely there. However, with aftermarket cables, things favor the 580.

Differences between the 580 and 600 are generally listed as deeper tighter bass and perhaps a bit of forward sounding treble, and a wider deeper soundstage. The cable upgrades on the 580 supposedly puts each of these categories ahead of the 600.

...Something like that
confused.gif

Dec 26, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 57
I asusme what they mean is that a 580 with better cables is better than a stock 600.

Maxvla , good choice. I've not heard the 580s my self, but no one dislikes them. I did like the 590s, and I thought the 570s (which were right next to them at the store) were a far (and muffled) cry from the sound quality of the 590. They were really dark and muffled and they had about 1/2 the sound stage and they were just bad next to the 590s. The only thing going for them is that they have the same comfort level, which is high.

And everyone says sorry about your wallet to new commers becuase n00bs come here not knowing much about heapdhones, find out there is a huge world right under their noses that they didn't know existed, and then they get sucked in and want to spend a lot more money than they had originaly planned to. I came here with a $250 budget, did the same as above, and am still waiting and saving to meet my new budget.. I think my wait is comming to an end though. I just need to make a push and pick out some stuff for my self.

Well, have fun with your new cans, and welcome to head-fi.

Dec 26, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #24 of 57
ok so thats why everyone says that.

i came here looking to spend about 100 bucks and thats what i ended up with (after rebate) so my wallet is just fine
tongue.gif

you can always spend tons of dough on anything. the only part that amazed me is how much hardware you guys use besides just the source and the headphones and how much it all costs. never thought a replacement cable could run 200 bucks
eek.gif

thanks for the welcome.

Dec 26, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #25 of 57
I differ from the general opinion, favouring the HD600s with the aftermarket cables... but that doesn't mean the HD580s are duds... not by a long shot!!

Dec 26, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #26 of 57
sorry for posting this crap here, but just looking at that pic of Alizee brings back painful memories of my first year in dorm where my roommate playing Alizee - who nobody else knew of in my dorm(canada) - music videos over and over again.... that was right after playing "Don't let me be the last to know" by B. Spears for a week straight.... unfortunately he listened everything through his speakers and my Koss TD65s(haha) broke down (only if I were able to buy Etys..) so the songs and pictures from those music video are just got engraved in my brain..... if I ever fail out of university i'm gonna blame it on the tragic psycholigical damage done by overdose of Alizee and Britney songs

Dec 26, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #27 of 57
frown.gif

i think she's cute and has a good voice.

Dec 26, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Maxvla
frown.gif

i think she's cute and has a good voice.

You and me both
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Even if I can't understand what she's singing
redface.gif

Dec 26, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #29 of 57
oh, i apoligize if i offended anybody, i didn't mean to attack any of the aforementioned singers or their fans personally
redface.gif

It's just that neither singers' song are really for repeated listening for a extended period of time(like most other songs) In this case the songs were "Lolita" and, umm, i can't remember the name but it was the video full of fruits and sexual connotations for Alizee and "Don't let me be the last to know" by Britney Spears. Alizee looks cute and her voice ain't bad, it's just that when you listen to those songs as much as i did in a short period of time something "happens" in your mind.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 26, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #30 of 57
i listen to BabyVox cds all the time. (Korean Pop)

i'm not tired of them yet. when i find a good cd i love i play it nonstop for months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back