Sennheiser PC166/PC161 headsets....
Oct 26, 2007 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ULUL

100+ Head-Fier
Use skype a lot when I travel. Anyone know where the Senn PC166 (with USB soundcard) and PC161 (w/o soundcard) lies when compared to their regular headphones without the boom microphone?

All I can get out of Sennheiser and a dealer is that they are better than the PX100.

Would appreciate any comments. If it's good, it would serve two purpose at once -- for Skyping and for music.

Thanks!
UL

Oct 29, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 4
I have the PC161, and I am selling it. Sure, it sounds fine if you have nothing to compare it too, but when I purchased the Sennheiser HD555s they completely decimated the PC161. I think this is due to the fact that the PC161 is a 'gaming' and 'VOIP' headset, so it is not really designed for music.

They (Sennheiser Communcations) lie too:

"XXL ear cups" - Normal size and they sit on, not around the ear.
"Thick Cord" - Since when is 2-3 millimetres thick? Rolling over it with a chair will slice it in half.

The microphone is quite good, but hardly adjustable.

The PC166 is even MORE overpriced, the only benefit of it is the USB audio, which can hardly be called a benefit - considering the premium they charge for it and the minute, if any, benefits.

Please excuse my rant, if I sound bitter and annoyed, it is because I am
wink.gif

--

My advice, buy a decent fullsize headphone and a relatively cheap 'clip on' or 'desk' microphone. It will sound way better whilst not sacrificing any clarity in the microphone department.

Oct 29, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 4
I agree with MuseMan. Though I haven't even seen any of Sennheiser's headsets, you're almost always better off with two dedicated devices, if you want quality from both sides.

Buy a good mic, and good headphones. You'll get better quality, and you'll likely save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back