Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
May 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #1,907 of 3,594
Quote:
Yup- mini to mini. I know, the double amping sucks
frown.gif
I am thinking to buy that cheap ele dac and try it with pa2v2 and s3 usb audio out. Maby this way I will get better results.
Cool, thank you very much!
popcorn.gif

Let us know how it works out with the Ele dac - I've been thinking about getting it, but it's one of those things where you wonder how something so cheap can possibly make any slight improvement in sound. 
I'm using PA2V2 with my momentum, but mostly to improve my ipods battery life so I can get through a week of light commuting without charging it. 

May 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,908 of 3,594
Quote:
I have one. It's a great portable amp/DAC. Don't expect any improvements with the Momentum, though. It doesn't do much for the other than make them louder.

That's good to know, I'm really looking for something portable that will enhance the sound of these. I guess the dac is what was I was hoping would help more than anything, as I'm sure the one in my laptop is pretty lousy, even for a higher end Sony. I haven't had a chance to load my HTC One with music yet, so I'm not sure if I'll really need an external dac for that, but if I'm getting one for my laptop, it might as well be used with my phone too. As it stands though, I'm happy with the momentums, but I'm all for anything that will take them up a notch.

May 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,909 of 3,594
Quote:

Sennheiser PX100IIi.
OMG what a gem of a phone... in first minute they spoke to me. I dare to say that this fresh, from the box, not burned in PX100IIi, moved me more then Momentums Amperiors... all in first minute no doubts and for 80euro with iphone controls and 26GBP !!!!!! on amazon.co.uk without controls... these are my portables now together with Heirs IEM 5.0.
They drivers fold flat so I can't fell it on my neck, great on ears, sound is miracle for the price, and you can fold them to fit small sunglasses case for transport.

Lads help me on that one as I seems to not trust my ears now! Does any one compared A to B Momentum with PX100II??
Mad Dogs vs Momentum for home use ??

Ive been a massive fan of the px100s for many years .Im worried that the Momentums will not sound as good.i have an old pair of sennheiser closed back cheapo phones(202).Im considering an upgrade shortly.

May 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,910 of 3,594
Ive tried my momentum with Macbook pro, Iphone 4, Iphone 5, Galaxy S3,  The Hornet, SR-71, O2  and a Drangonfly. And I can say that the amplification improvement is minimum.
At least to the one I own. =D

May 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,911 of 3,594
Quote:
Ive tried my momentum with Macbook pro, Iphone 4, Iphone 5, Galaxy S3,  The Hornet, SR-71, O2  and a Drangonfly. And I can say that the amplification improvement is minimum.
At least to the one I own. =D

Was there a noticeable difference in quality when using an external dac vs. what was built into any of those devices(mac book and phones). It's seems pretty unanimous that amplification doesn't make a noticeable difference, but is it worth it to use an external dac with these?

May 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,915 of 3,594
Just looks like a reflection to me fwiw.

I plan to use the Momentum as a portable a good bit of the time. I have an iphone 4 which I think would work well but there is not much space for music. I also have a Sansa clip zip+ with a 32gb card. How does the zip do with the Momentum?

May 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #1,919 of 3,594
Quote:
go_quote.gif

Double amping will almost always result in poor sound particularly with low impedance hp's. 

The input impedance of both pre-amps needs to perfectly match, and even there, some sound will rebound. So even with high impedance hp there will be unecessary loss.

May 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #1,920 of 3,594
Did anybody manage to put replacement pads on the Momentum? Something bigger and deeper to accommodate larger ears?

I'd love to get these and change the pads, but need to find out if alternative pads can be fitted afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back