Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Sep 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #106 of 3,594
The isolation is surprisingly good with these headphones.  My purchase was for office use because I can't hear a thing with my CIEMs (1964 Ears Triples) and my HD650s are too loud for those around me.  I've already missed two phone calls so IMHO these are as isolated as you will get for over the ear cans w/out adding a noise canceling component.  The Momentums are probably the most comfortable over the ear cans I have worn, even straight out of the box.  They fit me perfectly, enclosing my ear without any pinching or overlap.

I agree mostly with Jude's review, however, I think the bass accented (not heavy as some have described) sound can be great if driven with the right component and listening to a music genre that can utilize the sound signature.  I was listening to Foster the People "'Torches" and I actually prefer these cans to my HD650's for that specific genre (Rap/Hip Hop sounds great too).  The HD650s being open have some significant advantages in regards to sound stage and overall balance so will remain my go-to for reference, that being said, the Momentums are flat out fun!

I did hear a significant difference when listening to these with my cowan D2+ vs. the ibasso dx100.  The mic'd cord and marketing of these headphones suggest they are meant to be paired with phones and other mobile devices but I would suggest either an amp or high-end component (like the DX100) to get the most out of these headphones.  I just didn't get the clarity and punch from my Cowan, in fact, I would prefer my CIEM's over the Momentums if I was just looking for a mobile headphone to pair with an on the go component like the Cowan D2+.

At $350 these might be a bit of an overkill for mobile headphones.  You will definately be getting the most out of your source component (iphone, android phone, etc.) but the Momentums can do a lot more if you want to push them.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #108 of 3,594
Quote:
How is the isolation? I need above average isolation. Thanks

I think the clamping force limits the isolation a bit.  I only find them average.  I was outside walking around my neighborhood next to a busy street and without any music on, nothing really gets drowned out.  With music on at 3/4 way on my iPhone, only things I could hear was buses driving by.  At half volume, you can still hear cars driving by.  I've only heard the HD25ii for a brief listen once and the clamping force was greater and isolation was much better from memory.  
Quote:
Hi I absolutely like what you comment about the sound. But I dislike that two people who have the headphone tested comment about the ear cups being smaller as expected and being more on the ear than around the ear. I had the Beyerdynamic DT 1350 and sold it for being very uncomfortable to wear, at least for people like me wearing glasses. Could you please measure the inside of the cushions? That would be a welcome maneuver.

gs1000.gif

These are not over ear and not on ear either.  If you wear them a little further back (which seems the best fit for me and isolation is best this way) it covers around the back of the ears so essentially it is over ear.  I do not care for on ears unless the clamping force is light and I really love the sound and these take the cake for both easily. 
Quote:
Nice impressions Danny and I'm looking forward to reading more of them from you as time goes on. Can you tell me if the timbre of instruments sound accurate your ears? If it sounds natural with good decay? Mostly interested in how drums and guitars sound as well as vocals. Thanks in advance for any input.

I'll try and explain while listening to "Not For You" Pearl Jam.  The tune starts with bass and snare drums and lead guitar comes in within a few seconds and I can clearly hear all three.  About 15 seconds into the song, the bass comes in and Eddie starts singing.  His vocals are the center piece and the rest of the instruments blend in perfectly and you can distinctly hear all the instruments throughout the song.  Sounds good and makes you groove with the tune.  
Quote:
Nice impressions. You got them lightning quick. Did you select Express shipping from Razordog? I ordered mine last Thurs and won't have them till Friday. Your impressions leave me very excited. I'm glad to hear that it's a nice balanced signature without it being too bass heavy/bloated. Up front Sennheiser vocals are so yummy... I think I'll take the 650 and 598 for a spin today.

I only live about 30-45 minutes from RDD.  
biggrin.gif

I had the HD650 at one point and from memory, these are more livelier and the bass seems to be pretty close.  I really dug the bass of the 650's and I'm digging these as well.  It's nicely defined and not bloated unless I'm listening to a lower bit mp3.  

I've let these burn for the past few hours while I went back to work and I'm currently listening to them out of my ODAC+02 and it does add some more oomph to the sound.  The bass does hit a little harder and I can hear Jude's thoughts on the bass.  But, I started out as a basshead and have altered since but still love my tight, well defined bass and these are pretty close to the bass that I enjoy.  It doesn't hit the lowest of the sub-bass but the overall sound is nothing to complain about from me.  Overall, clean sound, excellent vocals, plenty of sparkle and no harshness.  One of the best sounding portable's I've heard to date.  I've never heard the DT1350 (didn't sound like my type of signature and I don't care for Beyer treble from limited experience) and only tried the HD25ii which I did like how it sounded but clamping force and on ear design killed it for me.  

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #109 of 3,594
Quote:
So far these remind me of the Focal Spirit One but cleaner with tighter bass and more forward vocals and sparklier treble.  

Then they don't sound like the Spirit One at all, right? 
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #111 of 3,594
Great feedback on Momentum so far.  Sounds like they are the current "king of the hill" circumaural portable.  These are off to a much better start from a review standpoint than the Denon D600.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #112 of 3,594
so this is a semi circumaural....chuckle/haiz...(pick one)

so one mystery unravelling, now to wait for the m100 to see which punches up to its price point.
popcorn.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #113 of 3,594
So far doesn't seem that different than the Amperiors. Sparkly treble, accentuated bass. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #114 of 3,594
Quote:
I also can tell that these will replace the L1 without hesitation.

Could you comment on the earcup size of the Momentum compared to the L1? How about the clamping force / overall comfort?
The L1 fits me quite nicely but I consider the sound signature too dark for my taste... thinking about replacing it with the Momentum

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #115 of 3,594
Yes, we will have both Amperior and MOMENTUM at the Tokyo Headphone festival. Do visit the Sennheiser booth to demo them. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Just got back after a long flight from Europe. Thanks for the review, Jude! 

Currawong - We'll have some units at the upcoming Tokyo headphone festival in October 
wink_face.gif

Will there be Amperiors this time? It'd be nice if we can compare them side by side.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #117 of 3,594
Quote:
These are not over ear and not on ear either.  If you wear them a little further back (which seems the best fit for me and isolation is best this way) it covers around the back of the ears so essentially it is over ear.  I do not care for on ears unless the clamping force is light and I really love the sound and these take the cake for both easily. 

These are considered circumaural and in my case they completely cover my ears.  That being said I have a relatively small head (size 7 hat size) and porportianate ears.  For those with larger heads and/or large ears I'd consider trying these on first before a purchase.

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #118 of 3,594
Quote:

These are considered circumaural and in my case they completely cover my ears.  That being said I have a relatively small head (size 7 hat size) and porportianate ears.  For those with larger heads and/or large ears I'd consider trying these on first before a purchase.

Hi swimmintunes, as I have a relative big head size, could you measure the inner diameter of the earpads for me please?

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #119 of 3,594
I called my Hifi shop today to ask if they have the Momentums for demo. I was told that the owner was @ the IFA in Berlin, had a listen to them and decided not to order them for stock. He was unimpressed! Not high end grade he said.
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back