Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jul 16, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #3,166 of 3,594
  that's very true! 

after getting 3 replacement all pairs I've received have had an error or two. My 2nd replacement was actually in a lower standard than my 1st pair with numerous marks on the ear cups. 

Iv'e learnt that exchanging headphones is a risk becasue you may get one that's in worse off condition than you one you originally bought.

I think I'll take my chances and get the black pair as your reasons for it seem legit. 

This happened so much to me! I lost all hope in Amazon after I went on a headphone shopping spree. Bought Senn hd380Pro, faulty headphone jack, bought Senn HD558, clicking on left channel, bought Senn HD598, again head jack... 
triportsad.gif
...happily settled with my Beyer DT 880 

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #3,167 of 3,594
  This happened so much to me! I lost all hope in Amazon after I went on a headphone shopping spree. Bought Senn hd380Pro, faulty headphone jack, bought Senn HD558, clicking on left channel, bought Senn HD598, again head jack... 
triportsad.gif
...happily settled with my Beyer DT 880 

you faults are all justified tho! 

when I said that all my pairs have had defects I mean cosmetic defects like stitching errors, scratches, blemishes. thank that would not really matter to someone who isn't a perfectionist. not like legit problems like a faulty headphone jack :)

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #3,168 of 3,594
I often hear many people (and review sites) praising the Sennheiser Momentum sound. With that, I was surprised to hear my friend thought them to be really thin sounding and I decided to try them out myself at my local Best Buy. Upon trying them, I completely agreed with my friend's judgement of the Momentum's sound, and upon comparing them with the Senn HD558, they lacked clarity sounded much thinner. I really wanted to like them, I mean, they look incredible but the sound just didn't do it for me. Perhaps it was a faulty display set at BestBuy or likelythe way they had it set up to the demo music (although I did try it my own music). :confused:  

I completely agree with this. I was in a futureshop and they had both the momentum and the 558. They were attached to the same songs so I jumped back and forth. Also got the Gf to try them and we both agree the 558 is better sounding. More clarity. The momentum sounded a bit congested to me. Also the momentum ear cups bugged me a lot.

Note: I normally listen with SRH940 which is why I am picky.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,169 of 3,594
Don't trust the way headphones sound in a shop - the big demo-machines they plug these headphones into all sound terrible. 
It's much better to bring your own source and test the headphones properly on music you're also familiar with (so you know vaguely what it SHOULD sound like).

Of course the 558 sounds better - it's a bigger, open-back headphone. Big open-back headphones tend to sound pretty damn good compared to their closed-back siblings.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #3,170 of 3,594
Don't trust the way headphones sound in a shop - the big demo-machines they plug these headphones into all sound terrible. 
It's much better to bring your own source and test the headphones properly on music you're also familiar with (so you know vaguely what it SHOULD sound like).

Of course the 558 sounds better - it's a bigger, open-back headphone. Big open-back headphones tend to sound pretty damn good compared to their closed-back siblings.

Considering the price difference you would think the momentum should have superior sound. 558 are like half the price.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #3,171 of 3,594
In my honest opinion, I think the Momentum DOES have superior sound in most ways (bass, texture, isolation, resolution) while the HD558 has superior soundstage, 'air'/treble and comfort.

But in a shop through a crappy source, the one that is going to 'wow' people is the one that has more treble, because it will appear to have more resolution/crispness to the sound. 
The fact of the matter is, the Momentum has plenty of resolution and good treble, but the treble is quieter - which makes sense for when it is used in the location it was designed for - busy streets and public transport.

When you're surrounded by noise, the first thing you will lose from your headphones is your perception of bass and bass texture/detail. So instead of having to turn up the volume or the bass on your DAP, the Momentum is a naturally 'dark' sounding headphone. It excels in it's natural habitat.

In a quiet home or shop, the HD558 will sound superior, as it's that kind of quiet environment is where it's sound will excel. 

There's more to A-B'ing headphones than simply trying them out quickly in a shop. 
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #3,172 of 3,594

When you're surrounded by noise, the first thing you will lose from your headphones is your perception of bass and bass texture/detail. So instead of having to turn up the volume or the bass on your DAP, the Momentum is a naturally 'dark' sounding headphone. It excels in it's natural habitat.

In a quiet home or shop, the HD558 will sound superior, as it's that kind of quiet environment is where it's sound will excel. 

There's more to A-B'ing headphones than simply trying them out quickly in a shop. 
wink.gif

I fully agree. Having both the Momentums, and the next model up to the HD558, the HD598. The Momentums sound best when out in the wild, not sitting at your desk or couch (not saying they somehow sound bad). The engineers at Sennheiser really worked their magic with the Momentums. Just use them as they are intended: On the go. IMO, the HD598 are some of the best sounding headphones sub $500, but coming in around the same price as the Momentums, they utterly destroy them when at my desk and amped where I can properly listen and pick out micro-detail. The Momentums are not designed for micro-detail, they are for awesome sound when in "Momentum".
tongue.gif

Even with your own source, use the demo units as a reference, not an absolute. Up until last week I only ever listened to the Momentums in-store, and can tell you that they sounded a lot better at home.

beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #3,173 of 3,594
Just a question for owners here, but what style of headphone stands do people use with their Momentums? I was looking at the Omega style for my Fidelio X1's, and was thinking of getting it for my Momentums too, but wasn't sure if it was going to stretch them out too much or not.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3,174 of 3,594
Has anyone had a first hands Look at the momentum over-ears in ivory?

it doesn't seem to be very popular on Instagram, google images or even YouTube. I'm thinking of getting either the black/red momentums or the ivory's but even the pictures that Jude uploaded of the ivory's don't seem to show them that well...in my opinion.. 

If anyone owns a pair of them, a couple of pictures would be soo helpful. The black/red colour scheme seems to be very popular when I search through "tags" on instagram and google images. I'm thinking of being a bit different. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #3,175 of 3,594
  Has anyone had a first hands Look at the momentum over-ears in ivory?

it doesn't seem to be very popular on Instagram, google images or even YouTube. I'm thinking of getting either the black/red momentums or the ivory's but even the pictures that Jude uploaded of the ivory's don't seem to show them that well...in my opinion.. 

If anyone owns a pair of them, a couple of pictures would be soo helpful. The black/red colour scheme seems to be very popular when I search through "tags" on instagram and google images. I'm thinking of being a bit different. 

Get what you like. I had a lot of friends who were insisting I get the black and red, but I thought to myself "do I want something that looks like Beats, that will inevitably lead to me being asked if they're Beats?" and "I rarely sell my headphones, so years from now when I'm much older, will I still want something that's this colour scheme?". I went with brown instead and I'm happier that I did, looks classy. Point is, go with what you like, period. Don't worry about how popular they are.

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #3,176 of 3,594

Get what you like. I had a lot of friends who were insisting I get the black and red, but I thought to myself "do I want something that looks like Beats, that will inevitably lead to me being asked if they're Beats?" and "I rarely sell my headphones, so years from now when I'm much older, will I still want something that's this colour scheme?". I went with brown instead and I'm happier that I did, looks classy. Point is, go with what you like, period. Don't worry about how popular they are.

Very wise words. 

I actually own the brown ones atm but I haven't had a good run with them as I've had a few or more replacement pairs becasue ones had a sticking hole in the headband, and the others had numerous marks on the ear cups, blemishes etc. however the newer version of the momentums probably have better QC's since they are newer so I'm probably going to get a refund and purchase either the black or ivory colour schemes as out of the box they actually have a plastic covers covering the seam of the earcups. however my browns ones never did out of the box which further encouraging me that I'll have better luck with the newer versions plus the pair I have currently has paint dots around an area of the seam.

for example here: http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e9/500x1000px-LL-e9f7d0cc_IMG_3507.png . 

I defiantly like the black ones for sure, I think no one would deny that they look cool. However I like how the ivorys becasue they are different, I don't dislike like them but I don't immensely like them either.. . I just like them coz there different but is it a girly headphone? Could I guy actually pull these off and would I you or I get sick of the colour scheme?..no matter what, I girl could pull these off marvelously. 

here's a video of a guy actually wearing them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er-Ynfdz0V8

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #3,177 of 3,594
  Very wise words. 

I actually own the brown ones atm but I haven't had a good run with them as I've had a few or more replacement pairs becasue ones had a sticking hole in the headband, and the others had numerous marks on the ear cups, blemishes etc. however the newer version of the momentums probably have better QC's since they are newer so I'm probably going to get a refund and purchase either the black or ivory colour schemes as out of the box they actually have a plastic covers covering the seam of the earcups. however my browns ones never did out of the box which further encouraging me that I'll have better luck with the newer versions plus the pair I have currently has paint dots around an area of the seam.

for example here: http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e9/500x1000px-LL-e9f7d0cc_IMG_3507.png . 

I defiantly like the black ones for sure, I think no one would deny that they look cool. However I like how the ivorys becasue they are different, I don't dislike like them but I don't immensely like them either.. . I just like them coz there different but is it a girly headphone? Could I guy actually pull these off and would I you or I get sick of the colour scheme?..no matter what, I girl could pull these off marvelously. 

here's a video of a guy actually wearing them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er-Ynfdz0V8

That ivory actually looks quite nice, I might've considered it if it was around when I get my browns actually. If it interests you, get it, don't whether if it's popular or not. I see nothing wrong with a guy pulling these off, I mean I comfortably wear a pink or lavender shirt with no issues, I don't see why ivory headphones would be any different.

I'm actually not a big fan of the plastic around the seams as they're pictured here though to be honest, looks more cheap.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3,178 of 3,594

That ivory actually looks quite nice, I might've considered it if it was around when I get my browns actually. If it interests you, get it, don't whether if it's popular or not. I see nothing wrong with a guy pulling these off, I mean I comfortably wear a pink or lavender shirt with no issues, I don't see why ivory headphones would be any different

I guess for me I'm the same as you in the sense that I like to think to myself "will I still want something that's this colour scheme" as I'm not wanting to buy anymore headphones so these will last me quite a long time. 

For you, i think the that choosing the brown pair was the right move as it's a colour that won't go out of style.  I still like the colour of my brown pair but I'm just sick of being on the *replacement train* and hoping that I'll receive a perfect pair and atm I'm not very content with the defects that are on mine but that doesn't mean I don't like the colour. So I think it's best for me to try out one of the newer colours out atm as the quality control might be better. I just gotta figure out what colour I prefer. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #3,179 of 3,594
  I guess for me I'm the same as you in the sense that I like to think to myself "will I still want something that's this colour scheme" as I'm not wanting to buy anymore headphones so these will last me quite a long time. 

For you, i think the that choosing the brown pair was the right move as it's a colour that won't go out of style.  I still like the colour of my brown pair but I'm just sick of being on the *replacement train* and hoping that I'll receive a perfect pair and atm I'm not very content with the defects that are on mine but that doesn't mean I don't like the colour. So I think it's best for me to try out one of the newer colours out atm as the quality control might be better. I just gotta figure out what colour I prefer. 

this is related but i hope i don't get bashed. i was gonna get a pair of monster diamond tears (they were on sale too) they look like this 

i ended up not getting them not because of the looks but because of the seemingly week hinges.

i actually loved the look of the diamond tears,(plus its white so its hard, if it gets dirty, it will be seen--> to me i don't care, i will take care of it and i love white--> hence the white skinny jeans in closet) =0 it would be a bit difficult to wear these while wearing sweats, so i gotta dress a bit better when using them outside, but then again i don't see that as a con, just a worthy distractor

so long story short,answer these questions:
1) do you like it?
2) does it fit your lifestyle? If not are you willing to make accomodations?

i actually love the ivory look as well, so very unique and retro looking. i don't think it will go out of style. too many black headphones out there, i doubt people will mistaken it as beats as someone posted above cause the headband shows so much metal (which is very un-beats-like)

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #3,180 of 3,594
  this is related but i hope i don't get bashed. i was gonna get a pair of monster diamond tears (they were on sale too) they look like this 

i ended up not getting them not because of the looks but because of the seemingly week hinges.

i actually loved the look of the diamond tears,(plus its white so its hard, if it gets dirty, it will be seen--> to me i don't care, i will take care of it and i love white--> hence the white skinny jeans in closet) =0 it would be a bit difficult to wear these while wearing sweats, so i gotta dress a bit better when using them outside, but then again i don't see that as a con, just a worthy distractor

so long story short,answer these questions:
1) do you like it?
2) does it fit your lifestyle? If not are you willing to make accomodations?

i actually love the ivory look as well, so very unique and retro looking. i don't think it will go out of style. too many black headphones out there, i doubt people will mistaken it as beats as someone posted above cause the headband shows so much metal (which is very un-beats-like)

You have too much faith in the average consumer, especially when they may not be exposed to many headphones beyond what's offered in big box stores. If I had the black and red I bet you that they'd ask "are those the new Beats?". :p

And yeah I've had enough black headphones too, even if it's just gunmetal, I'm ok with that colour, just no more black for a while. Although I may be tempted by glossy black...

Totally agree though, get it if you like it, don't make compromises for everyone else when you're the one living with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back