Sennheiser Momentum or Sony MDR-1R
Aug 28, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #16 of 34
I tried both out in a store (with all of the usual caveats) and came to the rapid conclusion that the Momentums sounded significantly better but that the Sony's were a lot more comfortable. So i boughts the Senns. I haven't been disappointed, I do think they're great. My ears are a little on the large side, so the fit isn't perfect, but I don't find the SQ to be affected. They still sound great several months on, and I am NOT disappointed when I swap between my HE500s and the Senns. I definitely made a good purchasing decision.

I was really impressed with the comfort of the Sony's however, they were like wearing a nice hat :)

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:
I tried both out in a store (with all of the usual caveats) and came to the rapid conclusion that the Momentums sounded significantly better but that the Sony's were a lot more comfortable. So i boughts the Senns. I haven't been disappointed, I do think they're great. My ears are a little on the large side, so the fit isn't perfect, but I don't find the SQ to be affected. They still sound great several months on, and I am NOT disappointed when I swap between my HE500s and the Senns. I definitely made a good purchasing decision.

I was really impressed with the comfort of the Sony's however, they were like wearing a nice hat :)

No doubt in my mind the 1R is among the most comfortable headphones ever made. Headphones like the SR-009 and HD 800 tend to disappear on the head after a while. The 1R disappears the moment you put them on; you barely even feel them.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #18 of 34
I did a comparison a while ago.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-1r/reviews/8320

Note that 1R doesn't isolate that well if you plan on taking it out often. Hope that helped.

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #19 of 34
If I could say one thing, do your research pal, there are two Sennheiser Momentum's out, there are the absolutely stunning, warm and while not quite as lush as the MDR-1R they are still quite strong in the soundstage department ones that are over ear, then there are the weak and inferior, on ear ones...

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #20 of 34
  If I could say one thing, do your research pal, there are two Sennheiser Momentum's out, there are the absolutely stunning, warm and while not quite as lush as the MDR-1R they are still quite strong in the soundstage department ones that are over ear, then there are the weak and inferior, on ear ones...

Yeah I almost fell for the on ear ones. I saw that they were 100 bucks on amazon and I did a mad dash to buy them. Until I realized that there are 2 versions.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I owned the momentums and loved them. I use the last gen ipod attached to an fiio e17 through LOD. I then came across the Kef M500. I sold the momentums because the Kef M500 are more comfortable have an awesome sound and are more portable. 

I lost my Kef and now I need to buy new cans. The question is do I go back to the momentums or go for the MDR. 

I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD598. they are around the same price range. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #22 of 34
HI!

I've got a question about durability of momentums.

The ear cups have got sliding mechanism. Isn't it loose? Especially after some time of using?

sorry 4 my English

As a veteran user, after 2 years of use - no. 
Hope this helps.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #24 of 34
MDR-1Rs to me:

No bass
Harsh highs
Awful comfort (my ears touch the drivers)

Build quality isn't very good, and the jack socket is rubbish.

I wouldn't get the momentum either, not for the extra 100.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #26 of 34
I have 1A :)
Maybe 1R is little more comfy than SM but for me it's a little. My eras are not very big (normal size probably) so for me Senns are ok.
1Rs have too much bass for me. I heard momentums and I prefer their sound. I just wanted to know something about senn durability.
At the beginning I was worried because pads on my SM are different (not the same shape - not perfectly even). I thought that is factory flaw but after watching few videos on YT i realised that every pad is different. So durability is for now everything I need to know :)

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #27 of 34
Helps a lot.
One more question about cables attached to the ear cups. They seem a little weak. No problem with them?

Again... I've snagged the cable quite a few times.... also my kids have snagged it while randomly hugging me and running away... 
but so far it feels as solid as the day I bought it... no loose connection or anything.

After 2 years though, it does retain some 'memory' shape. 
So if you fold or curl it in a certain way, it may start keeping that form... so I usually just curl it loosely or let it hang loose.

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #28 of 34
Now, the price is not that much for both !
The Sennheiser is 149e (112.014 GBP) and the Sony is at the same price. So, I think you should take teh Sony if you want to take it for a long period but run if you want the Momentum for other resasons ! It's much better !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back