Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions
Aug 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #346 of 581
How's the momentum on ear compared to vmoda m80? Which is better overall? I know vmoda xs is now avail but i can't go beyond $150. And both m80 and momentum on ears are heavily discounted on amazon. $110 for the m80 and less than $150 on momentume on ear.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #347 of 581
Neither is better than the other, they just have different signatures.

MOE - bass oriented U signature. Its a fun sounding headphone with no sibilance.

M80 - neutral/midrange centric signature, bass is decent but not as heavy as the MOE. Treble is rolled of compared to the MOE. Midrange is more balanced.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #348 of 581
Neither is better than the other, they just have different signatures.

MOE - bass oriented U signature. Its a fun sounding headphone with no sibilance.

M80 - neutral/midrange centric signature, bass is decent but not as heavy as the MOE. Treble is rolled of compared to the MOE. Midrange is more balanced.

Which of them has the same bass quantity of koss portapro? And how does the m80 compared to the xs? Is it a huge upgrade in terms of sound quality?

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #349 of 581
Which of them has the same bass quantity of koss portapro? And how does the m80 compared to the xs? Is it a huge upgrade in terms of sound quality?[/quote

It's not a huge difference between the M-80 and the XS in terms of sound. The differences mostly lie in comfort and portability. The M-80 has more mid-bass impact, the XS has better sub-bass and more bass/treble extension. Mids sound the same to me.

If you click the links in my signature you can see my reviews on both.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #350 of 581
Which of them has the same bass quantity of koss portapro? And how does the m80 compared to the xs? Is it a huge upgrade in terms of sound quality?[/quote

It's not a huge difference between the M-80 and the XS in terms of sound. The differences mostly lie in comfort and portability. The M-80 has more mid-bass impact, the XS has better sub-bass and more bass/treble extension. Mids sound the same to me.

If you click the links in my signature you can see my reviews on both.

What signature are you talking about? I'm interested on seeing your review.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #351 of 581
How's the momentum on ear compared to vmoda m80? Which is better overall? I know vmoda xs is now avail but i can't go beyond $150. And both m80 and momentum on ears are heavily discounted on amazon. $110 for the m80 and less than $150 on momentume on ear.

They're both good, I have the MOE and have auditioned the M80. MOE is v shaped with more bass and treble and recessed mids, M80 is better balanced and at $110 they are a better deal than the MOE. I didn't get the m80 due to comfort, the MOE is incredibly comfortable and like the design more even though I prefer the sound of the M80s. The Portapros aren't v shaped but they have more in your face mids like the m80s do. They are closer to neutral than the MOE is.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #352 of 581
They're both good, I have the MOE and have auditioned the M80. MOE is v shaped with more bass and treble and recessed mids, M80 is better balanced and at $110 they are a better deal than the MOE. I didn't get the m80 due to comfort, the MOE is incredibly comfortable and like the design more even though I prefer the sound of the M80s. The Portapros aren't v shaped but they have more in your face mids like the m80s do. They are closer to neutral than the MOE is.

Based on what you've said, m80 would be more suitable for me. I like engaging bass, upfront vocals and slightly rolled off yet crisp treble.

Design wise, im a fan of the retro look of the MOE. The same reason why i like the portapro more than the px100-ii. But in the case of the MOE, i think i will look like an alien or astronaut because of the gap in the sides of your head. It looks very awesome on neck though. And on the m80, it looks better when its on your head because it has less gap on the sides. So for me, the m80 takes the cake on design.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #353 of 581
Based on what you've said, m80 would be more suitable for me. I like engaging bass, upfront vocals and slightly rolled off yet crisp treble.

Design wise, im a fan of the retro look of the MOE. The same reason why i like the portapro more than the px100-ii. But in the case of the MOE, i think i will look like an alien or astronaut because of the gap in the sides of your head. It looks very awesome on neck though. And on the m80, it looks better when its on your head because it has less gap on the sides. So for me, the m80 takes the cake on design.

I like the design of both. Both are flashy but in different ways. The MOE is a little more low profile which I like. And I'm a big fan of the porta pro, I'll always keep it in my collection and I'm always amazed at how good it sounds. Gotta love the koss warranty too. I think vmoda has a good warranty as well. The m80 would def suit you more, especially at such a good price. Hope you find them more comfortable than I did.

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #354 of 581
What signature are you talking about? I'm interested on seeing your review.

If you're on mobile you'll have to switch Head-Fi to desktop view. My signature shows up below any posting I make and you can find my reviews by clicking on the links there.

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #355 of 581
What kind of positioning over the ear makes M80 sound more balanced and "neutral"? I've heard a few and all had plenty of extra upper mids and lower treble, giving it a V-shaped sound together with the boosted bass, and less treble roll-off than the MOE, even though Headroom's graphs show the MOE being more balanced in the mids below 2kHz and both being pretty much just as bassy.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #356 of 581
What kind of positioning over the ear makes M80 sound more balanced and "neutral"? I've heard a few and all had plenty of extra upper mids and lower treble, giving it a V-shaped sound together with the boosted bass, and less treble roll-off than the MOE, even though Headroom's graphs show the MOE being more balanced in the mids below 2kHz and both being pretty much just as bassy.

I don't put much stock in graphs, but I did listen to them back to back when deciding which to buy and the MOE has substantially more bass, especially sub bass and a whole bunch of treble energy whereas the vmoda is a little treble recessed and is a punchier bass, the mids are much more forward as a consequence with a warm tonality. They kinda do have that porta pro/PX 100 kind of sound where it's almost too dark. They sound nothing alike.

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #357 of 581
I like the design of both. Both are flashy but in different ways. The MOE is a little more low profile which I like. And I'm a big fan of the porta pro, I'll always keep it in my collection and I'm always amazed at how good it sounds. Gotta love the koss warranty too. I think vmoda has a good warranty as well. The m80 would def suit you more, especially at such a good price. Hope you find them more comfortable than I did.

I hope they will fit my head comfortably :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #358 of 581
I don't put much stock in graphs, but I did listen to them back to back when deciding which to buy and the MOE has substantially more bass, especially sub bass and a whole bunch of treble energy whereas the vmoda is a little treble recessed and is a punchier bass, the mids are much more forward as a consequence with a warm tonality. They kinda do have that porta pro/PX 100 kind of sound where it's almost too dark. They sound nothing alike.

I can agree with the graph, as well as you, in MOE having more subbass, I really find MOE sounding darker up top past the low treble than M80.  Apart from extra bass and treble, upper mids boost makes M80 sound somewhat nasal versus HDH50, HD25, and other headphones with a balanced midrange.  MOE has a little more boost.  I think that this needs to be mentioned for those who don't like it and are considering MOE or M80 but cannot audition them before buying.  MOE should sound more forward in the mids, but the real cause is the reverb in the bass chambers surrounding the primary chambers housing the drivers in each cup, I found out from experimentation.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #359 of 581
If you're on mobile you'll have to switch Head-Fi to desktop view. My signature shows up below any posting I make and you can find my reviews by clicking on the links there.

I'm done watching your review. I just realized that the m80 has a huge gap on the side of the head which looks awful for me. Do you know if which has the smaller side gap between the m80 and MOE? I think i would definitely like the sound of the m80 based on what you said. How's the difference in sound stage between the m80, xs and MOE?

Good review by the way!

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #360 of 581
I can agree with the graph, as well as you, in MOE having more subbass, I really find MOE sounding darker up top past the low treble than M80.  Apart from extra bass and treble, upper mids boost makes M80 sound somewhat nasal versus HDH50, HD25, and other headphones with a balanced midrange.  MOE has a little more boost.  I think that this needs to be mentioned for those who don't like it and are considering MOE or M80 but cannot audition them before buying.  MOE should sound more forward in the mids, but the real cause is the reverb in the bass chambers surrounding the primary chambers housing the drivers in each cup, I found out from experimentation.

So momentum is more foward in mids than the m80? I thought it has a v-shaped sound signature, giving it a recessed mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back