Sennheiser Momentum In-Ears Review by mark2410
Nov 8, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #16 of 107
  First post, so here we go!
Thanks for a great review MarK. I've preordered the iPhone version of these on Amazon to use with my iPhone 5. I've also got a Fiio E07k/E09k combo with a pair of Fidelio L2 headphones, so I'm interested to see how these fair in comparison. Next year I'm looking to get a decent DAP and wondered if you'd had chance to try these with say a Fiio X1/3/5 or Ibasso DX50/90?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Cookie

Welcome to Head-Fi

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #19 of 107
Hi all, I'm new to this site, and found it in search of a transitional pair of headphones.  I need something for on the go, or just using my PC.  I found a store near me that has cx 300 II for 50$, and now that I've read your review, can't help but wonder if I'd be better off putting a little more money into my purchase or just go with the 300s.? A pair of these momentum's go for 115 on amazon.ca, so nearly twice the amount are they worth the extra 50?.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 107
Thanks for the great review. I am looking to get a new pair of IEM in this price range. I mainly use these on the go so its important they stay in and are comfortable. How would you say these compare the the Bose IEM in terms of comfort and staying in your ears, as well as sound quality? If you have any recommendation in this price range, I am open to ideas. Thanks!

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #22 of 107
First post, so here we go!

Thanks for a great review MarK. I've preordered the iPhone version of these on Amazon to use with my iPhone 5. I've also got a Fiio E07k/E09k combo with a pair of Fidelio L2 headphones, so I'm interested to see how these fair in comparison. Next year I'm looking to get a decent DAP and wondered if you'd had chance to try these with say a Fiio X1/3/5 or Ibasso DX50/90?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Cookie

welcome and sorry for your wallet

well i do have an x3 kicking about the place somewhere soooo ill see if i can fish that out ond give a go, id suspect that warm dap on warm IEM would make for a quite heavy sound so it it were me, id probably look to pair these with a lighter DAP, maybe one of Cowon's. but........ its probably be best to wait till you get yours in your ears and see how you feel about them. also just how much the mic and controls get used because you give those up with a real DAP.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #23 of 107
Is this earpiece better than cx985 in general? I am currently using one. Great review btw!

well "better" no i cant say they are. the CX985 i would have to say is the slightly better in a technical sense but they are quite so differently flavoured, and close enough technically that its all about what you like better. the Momentum is more bassy and rich and smooth and vast. the CX985 is dramatic V shaped punchy bass and dazzling highs. you really wouldnt pick one over the other because it is "better" you would pick the sound signature that is more you.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #24 of 107
Thanks for the great review. I am looking to get a new pair of IEM in this price range. I mainly use these on the go so its important they stay in and are comfortable. How would you say these compare the the Bose IEM in terms of comfort and staying in your ears, as well as sound quality? If you have any recommendation in this price range, I am open to ideas. Thanks!

bose do an actual IEM? isnt it just that bud with the funnel thing?

i cannot say i have heard them but bose doesnt really have the best of reputations in the audio world so i would highly suspect that the Momentums would wipe the floor with them acoustically. fit wise, for me these were perfect, sat deep enough to be very secure and the angle perfectly matched my ear canal though i get along with most IEM's very well.

things in this price area, well these, the MA-750, the GR07, the DN-900 and DN-1000. those would be my generalist go to's untill you have more specific requirements. they are all pretty damn excellent though and you will find at this sort of price its really begining to get more about what you are looking for than one being "better" than another. still i have reviewed each of them so if your up for a read then hit them up and see which if any begins to speak to you.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #25 of 107
what kind of foam tips are those?

i tried comply for IE8 and they do not fit.. i would really like foam tips.

honestly, i do not know. they just happened to be sat on my desk so my thoughts were they came from RHA but they dont seem to match. looking back at my review list i dont see anything that i think they could have come from either. so im actually at a bit of a loss. they dont seem to be complys so they must have come from something...............but erm i just cant figure what.

still i would bet comply will soon have these listed and tell you which size fits them, i think it could be the T400 size.

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 107
Thanks Mark
I've just re-read Twister6's review and he's saying the Fiio X1 is a great match, so I might try that. Also Fiio have enabled their players to work with smartphone controls.
I'll come back with my opinions when I've tried them out.
Thanks, Cookie

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 107

Is this earpiece better than cx985 in general? I am currently using one. Great review btw!

well "better" no i cant say they are. the CX985 i would have to say is the slightly better in a technical sense but they are quite so differently flavoured, and close enough technically that its all about what you like better. the Momentum is more bassy and rich and smooth and vast. the CX985 is dramatic V shaped punchy bass and dazzling highs. you really wouldnt pick one over the other because it is "better" you would pick the sound signature that is more you.

Thanks for the reply. I sometimes find the V-shaped of the cx 985 could be a bit too much and the mid could be lacking. I guess I will try out the momentum to see if it compensates that 

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #28 of 107
I have them. The review is pretty much correct. Although I find highs quite accentuated (but in good way with no sibilance). Maybe that's because previously I used Yamaha EPH-100 which highs lacked a bit.
About the bass... Well, I don't think there is too much of it. I'm not a basshead, seriously, I just think you're supposed to have a bass like that, based on what I hear when I listen to live music (which I do a lot, EDM concerts, rock concerts, alternative etc).

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #29 of 107
I'm looking to buy 100 USD iem I have narrowed my choices down to the Hifiman re 400 and the sennheiser momentum which one should I choose? My preferred genre is hip hop if that helps.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #30 of 107
I'm looking to buy 100 USD iem I have narrowed my choices down to the Hifiman re 400 and the sennheiser momentum which one should I choose? My preferred genre is hip hop if that helps.

If you want less bass than there should be, and something that will break if you use it, get the Hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back