Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Aug 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #571 of 931
I love my Momentum. I've only had this headset for 48 hours and i feel that they are becoming my new favorite closed back. They have a nice balanced, warmer sound to them, they are very comfortable (although they get hot after awhile due to the genuine leather). The case they come with is a clam shell style case, that's very protective and sturdy and pretty. Both of the cables that come with the headphone are a little thin for my likings, but i prefer a thicker cable. Only one cable has the swivel connector and that's the one with the in line remote. I wish it came on both. These headphones are definitely worth every penny. I got mine for 200 but even if you pay the 300, i feel that it would still be plenty worth your money.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #572 of 931
  I love my Momentum. I've only had this headset for 48 hours and i feel that they are becoming my new favorite closed back. They have a nice balanced, warmer sound to them, they are very comfortable (although they get hot after awhile due to the genuine leather). The case they come with is a clam shell style case, that's very protective and sturdy and pretty. Both of the cables that come with the headphone are a little thin for my likings, but i prefer a thicker cable. Only one cable has the swivel connector and that's the one with the in line remote. I wish it came on both. These headphones are definitely worth every penny. I got mine for 200 but even if you pay the 300, i feel that it would still be plenty worth your money.

they are quite a beauty to just look at (i agree with the cables being just a bit thin for my liking) 

do they fit completely around your ears?

they isolate noise out very well without having a a substantial clamp on them (its really light) how sennheiser did that is beyond me)

i wish that their is a 1 button cable for my s3 (i use my ipod touch most of the time but still the cable doesn't work well with my s3)

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #573 of 931
They do actually fit around my ears, I personally don't have an issue with the ear-pads "being too small." Yes i agree, they isolate very well for being passive, and they are very light headphones. The play/pause button works on my S5 but I'm actually not too much of a fan on the remote. I feel like the buttons should be raised because I do have a hard time with pressing them.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #574 of 931
  They do actually fit around my ears, I personally don't have an issue with the ear-pads "being too small." Yes i agree, they isolate very well for being passive, and they are very light headphones. The play/pause button works on my S5 but I'm actually not too much of a fan on the remote. I feel like the buttons should be raised because I do have a hard time with pressing them.

agreed! the buttons need to have some bumps or something to be easier to navigate

does the mic work on your s5?

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #575 of 931
Yes the play/pause button and the microphone work on my S5. I read somewhere that you can download an app that will make the volume rockers work on Android as well. I wish i could remember the name of the app...

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #576 of 931
Hi there,

I'm very close to ordering a set of Momentum over-ears as my new on-the-go cans. At home I listen to Grado SR80is. I did have in-ear Shure SE530s for my travel phones but they bit the dust. Anyway, I fancy a change. Here's why...

I listen to a lot of classical, mainly big symphonies. From what I've read, the Momentums seem to handle this stuff very well. However, I have one reservation: the soundstage. Is it suitable for big classical music or does it sound congested? Ideally, I would love the open soundstage of open-backed cans, eg HD650s, but in a closed-back set. But because I want them for on-the-go cans, and because the laws of physics say otherwise, I guess I won't get the open-back sound when out and about. I reckon I'll have to settle for closed cans. So which are best for classical, folks? 

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #577 of 931
I'd say go for it! The Sennheiser Momentums sound excellent in all genres, even classical. As for as the sound stage goes, just understand that your not going to get a spectacular sound stage with a closed back headphone but on the Momentums, its definitely not congested. The sound stage is quite impressive and accurate.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #578 of 931
fyi most of the colors are just around $130 on Amazon right now except the blue is $198. Picked up a green pair of the Momentums for $128 along with the HD 600's which were just over $300 the other week. 

the Momentums are a steal at that price. i've had multiple colleagues comment on their looks already,then when i let them try them they are blown away by the sound. i was like yeah but wait until you hear something like the HD 600s, even better. they can't comprehend that.

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #579 of 931

Hi all,

I already have HD650 with a good DAC but I want to listen to music while I am out of home so I want to use my iPhone and buy the Momentum Around-Ear. I have some quests for you:

1) it will fit good on my mid-big sized ears? :)
2) can I use them even without a small amplifier (that I have but I don't want to use for practicity)?
3) it's true that the results could be near to my HD650 with a DAC? And, if it's true, why I have spent almost 1000 euros (earph+DAC) while with Momentum I can have almost the same sound?
4) somebody ever tried the On-Ear model, it's very cheap.

Thanks

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #580 of 931

Hi all,

I already have HD650 with a good DAC but I want to listen to music while I am out of home so I want to use my iPhone and buy the Momentum Around-Ear. I have some quests for you:

2) can I use them even without a small amplifier (that I have but I don't want to use for practicity)?
3) it's true that the results could be near to my HD650 with a DAC? And, if it's true, why I have spent almost 1000 euros (earph+DAC) while with Momentum I can have almost the same sound?

Thanks

i can do my best to answer those questions!
1) personally i think the momentums could fit your ears if your about a medium sized ears, would you say your ears are sensitive if say a bit of fabric (say for example your shirt rubbing (not really rubbing but touching your ears) say on the ridges of your ears?

if so than it might not be a the best choice, i found them to be comfortable for my small-med ears

2) yes they can easily be run straight off an iphone/ipod (even off a samsung s3) very low impedence and can easily reach ear piercing levels

3) i can't answer that because i haven't tried the hd650 so i think someone else shed some light for you

4)  i actually compared both the on ear and over ear momentums here:
i have 2 videos on them explaining the differences:

overview: basically everything except sound

sound quality comparison:

if you have any questions! be sure to pm me here on head-fi, shoot me an comment on youtube or msg here =) happy to help!

i also have full reviews of each of these headphones and more on my channel so if your interested in this be sure to subscribe =)

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #581 of 931
they are quite a beauty to just look at (i agree with the cables being just a bit thin for my liking) 

do they fit completely around your ears?

they isolate noise out very well without having a a substantial clamp on them (its really light) how sennheiser did that is beyond me)

i wish that their is a 1 button cable for my s3 (i use my ipod touch most of the time but still the cable doesn't work well with my s3)

I find they look better off you head than on. On my head it just looks a bit out of place.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #582 of 931
Hi all,

Thanks

1) Some people have been having issues with comfortability, so best to try it out yourself. I have medium-ish sized ears and no issues.
2) They can be easily driven straight out of a cellphone, no problem.
3) While Momentums are very good, they're not on the HD650 level. So don't worry, they shouldn't make your 650's obsolete. :wink:
4) I found them to be uncomfortable and the bass was too boomy for my taste, and would bleed over other frequencies too. I wouldn't personally recommend them.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #583 of 931
  Hi there,

I'm very close to ordering a set of Momentum over-ears as my new on-the-go cans. At home I listen to Grado SR80is. I did have in-ear Shure SE530s for my travel phones but they bit the dust. Anyway, I fancy a change. Here's why...

I listen to a lot of classical, mainly big symphonies. From what I've read, the Momentums seem to handle this stuff very well. However, I have one reservation: the soundstage. Is it suitable for big classical music or does it sound congested? Ideally, I would love the open soundstage of open-backed cans, eg HD650s, but in a closed-back set. But because I want them for on-the-go cans, and because the laws of physics say otherwise, I guess I won't get the open-back sound when out and about. I reckon I'll have to settle for closed cans. So which are best for classical, folks? 

Okay I'm going to go against the grain here. It's unpopular to be negative about these but I'm only answering because we own similar headphones. I have the Alessandro MS-1 and Shure SE425s. I also own a set of Momentums.

They sound congested and woolly to me. I am underwhelmed by them considering the amount of positive reviews they get. I'm constantly having to EQ them to reduce the bass, clear the sound up and bring it forward a bit. Obviously this a personal preference. 

However as a set of portable cans they have a lot going for them. They are light, very comfortable, compact and isolate well although they can leak sound a bit. From a portable source, and a lean sounding one like my iPhone 5, I find the sound much clearer. From my iPod classic they are too boomy for me.

Try them out first if you can. They aren't cheap. I'm probably going to ebay mine to fund something else.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #584 of 931
Okay I'm going to go against the grain here. It's unpopular to be negative about these but I'm only answering because we own similar headphones. I have the Alessandro MS-1 and Shure SE425s. I also own a set of Momentums.

They sound congested and woolly to me. I am underwhelmed by them considering the amount of positive reviews they get. I'm constantly having to EQ them to reduce the bass, clear the sound up and bring it forward a bit. Obviously this a personal preference. 

However as a set of portable cans they have a lot going for them. They are light, very comfortable, compact and isolate well although they can leak sound a bit. From a portable source, and a lean sounding one like my iPhone 5, I find the sound much clearer. From my iPod classic they are too boomy for me.

Try them out first if you can. They aren't cheap. I'm probably going to ebay mine to fund something else.

You talking about the on ear or over ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back