Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Mar 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #16 of 931
In the Northern Hemisphere it is a  well known fact that that brown headphones are markedly superior sound-wise to black headphones....in the Southern Hemisphere the opposite is true.....a lot like the way water drains differently in the two Hemispheres.....go figure....

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #17 of 931
Quote:
go_quote.gif

Bought the black Momentum's.
Looking forward to some good listening :)

Be sure to report back! (before and after burn-in if possible)

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #18 of 931
I Have the Momentum and I love them, they sound very balanced with the just right amount of bass that I like, and I think the sounstage is very good too for a portable closed back headphones, and they are very light too! 

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 931
I've had the Momentums for a couple of weeks, and I LOVE them! Great separation of the instruments, great bass that doesn't sound boomy or muddle the mids. They are so fun to listen to! I highly recommend them, but they are expensive. They are my favorite headphones, and I have a lot of them.

I had the Audio-Technica M50s and hated how boomy they sounded, like listening to sea shells. I returned them right away.

I have had the Grado-SR 125 for six years and I like them a lot. The sound is clean, the bass is punchy, the mids are crisp, but the highs can be shrill at times, and the instruments aren't separated as nicely as the Momentums. The Momentums make me feel like there's a concert in my head!

I also have the Shure SE 530s and the Shure SE 210s. They both sound wonderful, with the 530s sounding thicker. The SE 210 has more of a crisp, clear, flat sound. But in ear headphones just aren't as comfortable.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #20 of 931
Quote:
In the Northern Hemisphere it is a  well known fact that that brown headphones are markedly superior sound-wise to black headphones....in the Southern Hemisphere the opposite is true.....a lot like the way water drains differently in the two Hemispheres.....go figure....

Wow... that's so cool. I never knew that! I also heard that brown headphones really shine during the day, while black headphones sound better at night. Just like when you wear black clothes in the sunlight, you get all hot and stuffy... when you wear black headphones in the sunlight, the bass sounds really warm, muffled, and bloated. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #21 of 931
I have the brownie.
These are so close to being outstanding if it weren't for the comfort issue. I was able to wear them for about two hours of a 14-hour flight before I just couldn't take the pain any longer. My outer ears literally hurt for the rest of the flight.

If they would have just increased the size of the ear cups by about 25% (or at least increased the ear pad depth by 5–10mm), I think it would make a HUGE difference. But I know, I know...gotta keep 'em small and sleek for curb appeal. 

The Sennheiser guy at RMAF said these took 9 months from concept sketch to on-the-shelf. Pretty impressive if you ask me, but they obviously didn't do much fit testing in such a short development cycle.

I gave mine to my wife, and she loves them.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #22 of 931
Seeing that my ears don't work as well with IEMs as they used to I started out on a journey to find a great pair of portable headphones. And after seeing Tyll's review on innerfidelity.com, I thought I'd give them a try. Well, I'm certainly glad I did. They are simply fantastic!

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 931
I have a pair, won them on the razordogdeals facebook site, thank you razordog!  They are fantastic. They don't wow you immediately,  but on extended listening they impress.  Very even handed with no spikes to cause fatigue with very good detail.
Some complain of comfort but note that with the stainless steel band they tolerate clamp pressure adjustment very well. Just stretch them out a little or a lot and they become very comfortable, I can wear them for hours, sometimes forgetting the music has ended, with no discomfort, and the soundstage widens as well.  I also find the standard no-control cable sounds better with more forward mids. Highly recommended!

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #24 of 931
Quote:
I have a pair, won them on the razordogdeals facebook site, thank you razordog!  They are fantastic. They don't wow you immediately,  but on extended listening they impress.  Very even handed with no spikes to cause fatigue with very good detail.
Some complain of comfort but note that with the stainless steel band they tolerate clamp pressure adjustment very well. Just stretch them out a little or a lot and they become very comfortable, I can wear them for hours, sometimes forgetting the music has ended, with no discomfort, and the soundstage widens as well.  I also find the standard no-control cable sounds better with more forward mids. Highly recommended!

I'm really loving them....kinda like a closed, light/comfy and portable LCD-2. 
size]

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #26 of 931
Quote:
I hear ear size can be an issue.  Would my 6.5 cm ear be too large for these?

mmm... comfort depends on the user. basically, the earpads would be on-ear for you.

the momentum has real leather earpads that are definitely comfortable, but some people prefer over-ears over on-ears for comfort.
I personally dislike on-ears because after long-periods of listening, you get pressure on your ears that I find irritating.
I would say the momentum are comfortable on-ear headphones, but there are more comfortable over-ear options.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones#post_9213203

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #27 of 931
Quote:
mmm... comfort depends on the user. basically, the earpads would be on-ear for you.

the momentum has real leather earpads that are definitely comfortable, but some people prefer over-ears over on-ears for comfort.
I personally dislike on-ears because after long-periods of listening, you get pressure on your ears that I find irritating.
I would say the momentum are comfortable on-ear headphones, but there are more comfortable over-ear options.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones#post_9213203

Thanks for that great link.  Yeah I prefer over ear too but I figure cutting down on size for portable use would be good.  I was just hoping I might be able to squeeze them in there since Sennheiser considers them around ear.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #28 of 931

Quote:
Thanks for that great link.  Yeah I prefer over ear too but I figure cutting down on size for portable use would be good.  I was just hoping I might be able to squeeze them in there since Sennheiser considers them around ear.

nope. even tho sennheiser says they are around ear, I have legit tiny ears and it's definitely not around-ear for me. i think there have been people who said the earpads were on-ear for them, but that is the minority. just to let you know.

May 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #30 of 931
I have the Momentums, and I absolutely LOVE the sound-- they are punchy, clear, and very fun to listen to. They manage to somehow sound like bass monsters on Massive Attack while adding just the right small amount of kick to Rage Against the Machine. They just seem exceptionally well engineered from a sound perspective IMO. Unfortunately, I won't be able to keep mine (had some surgery on my left ear that makes these very uncomfortable), but I will be giving them to my mom for mother's day, as she loved them too. 

I don't know why there aren't more closed portable cans that look decent and have acceptable sound quality. These really hit a home run as a portable or office can IMO. Vastly better than the V-Moda M80 in terms of sound. Kudos to Sennheiser!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back