Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
May 20, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,876 of 3,671
I'm thinking of getting momentum 2's and hoping for a little advice. I've managed to collect a few pairs of other headphones, namely beoplay h6, akg k550,sennheiser 598 & momentum on ear, bw p5 (originals), vmoda xs and beats solo hd2. What I want is the detail of the h6 (these are my favourites but are just a little thin sounding at times), sound stage of the 598 and bass of the vmoda or p5s all rolled into one. :)
Budgets not huge but could stretch to the momentum 2 or bw p7.
My musical tastes vary but includes Evanescence, Muse, guns n roses, green day and stuff along those lines but with some more 'pop' at times. Anyone willing to offer some suggestions on what could suit best ?

May 20, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #1,877 of 3,671
The M2s sound amazing, very crisp and detailed. They hurt after a while due to how tight the ear foams clip to your head but the sound is so nice that you'll still go past the pain. But Seinheisser is recalling these headphones do to a clipping issue. They are literally not useable when you are walking around with these headphones on a windy day outside. Or in the mall

May 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,878 of 3,671
The M2s sound amazing, very crisp and detailed. They hurt after a while due to how tight the ear foams clip to your head but the sound is so nice that you'll still go past the pain. But Seinheisser is recalling these headphones do to a clipping issue. They are literally not useable when you are walking around with these headphones on a windy day outside. Or in the mall

Where are you seeing they are getting recalled due to a "clipping" issue? The majority of major issues being reported are due to bluetooth problems.

May 20, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,879 of 3,671
Where are you seeing they are getting recalled due to a "clipping" issue? The majority of major issues being reported are due to bluetooth problems.

Well it is a bluetooth headphone so it would probably be a bluetooth problem right. I had a pair myself. It clips horribly when I was outside. Like the music. It's like the connection is going in and out. Aka... Clipping almost. People say its the ANC but I'm not sure what is it.

May 20, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,880 of 3,671
and bass of the vmoda or p5s
can you describe that kind of bass?
Can you also specify what kind of mids and highs, and warm or bright/fresh signature?

May 20, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,881 of 3,671
I was playing around with the device settings on my pc today and noticed that if you set the bluetooth M2 as the default playback device, and disable the headset microphone on the Recording tab, the bass response (volume and extension) while playing music is cut back significantly. Overall playback resolution suffers as well (edit - might actually be the lack of bass letting you hear what's really happening in the treble). Why would disabling the mic as a pc input affect sound reproduction?

Edit 2 - So strange. I can't reproduce it now. Sounds the same with mic enabled or disabled.

May 20, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,882 of 3,671
Why would disabling the mic as a pc input affect sound reproduction?
because the mic is used for the anc and the anc affects the sound (mostly the bass)

May 20, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #1,884 of 3,671
can you describe that kind of bass?
Can you also specify what kind of mids and highs, and warm or bright/fresh signature?

I'm not sure but shall try.

Reasonably strong bass, but not bloated or overpowering the mids.
Not too warm, basically I'd love the H6's (same goes for the AKG 550's) to have more bass or the P5 / XS to have more detail.
Out of them all I'd say the H6's edge it for me as the detail they give vocals in particular really appeals, it's just there are times when I'd like them to have a touch more bass.

May 21, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #1,885 of 3,671
well, that didn't really help a lot, but, i think you have four options.
The Plantronics Backbeat Pro, very nice soundstage, strong bass which is quite boosted out of the box. Highs are abundant but not sibilant and to me not harsh. Mids are ok, and the signature is not warm nor cold.
Only problem, vocals are not always super present.
Then the Fidelio m2bt, stronger sub bass with a very nice dense body in the deep rumble. Although On Ear the soundstage is very nice due to a dsp used by Phillips.
Vocals are more present than in Plantronics. But highs can be sibilant on some frequencies around 6000hz, sometimes.
Then the beoplay h8. Boosted bass with some dark tone. There is a thread for them, and somebody talks of how they compare to the h6.
I prefer the Fidelio in everything, although the h8 have less sibilance.
The h8 have also a not notable soundstage.
Finally, the ath-ws99bt. Out of the box the bass seem seems less powerful respect to these three, just because more natural, not boosted. But as soon as you turn the volume up (they can get much louder than all the others) and you put on some bass heavy music you start noticing their power. And if you EQ them a bit you'll see them reaching a bass which all the others can't. I'm also experimenting with other earpads. In this moment I've found one which improve the bass a lot. Making it a little boomier, but more present.
The vocals are very very present, i love that. Highs are good. Signature a bit warm.
Only problems, the soundstage is good, wide, but not very deep. And earpads are a bit small.
Both problems can be solved with new bigger earpads.

May 21, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,886 of 3,671
Would like to give the ATH-WS99BT a shot at 250, but all the sellers are in Japan. That would make returns really crappy. PS: I'm in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00OTG908Y/ref=olp_fsf?ie=UTF8&condition=new

May 21, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,887 of 3,671

I'm not sure but shall try.

Not too warm, basically I'd love the H6's (same goes for the AKG 550's) to have more bass or the P5 / XS to have more detail.
Out of them all I'd say the H6's edge it for me as the detail they give vocals in particular really appeals, it's just there are times when I'd like them to have a touch more bass.

I can't speak to any of the headphones you have except the (original) B&W P5's. The M2's are not perfect out of the box, but I totally agree with Giogio, in that a good pair of headphones may not be perfect for you out of the box, but can be eq'ed to perfection. Not all are capable of this. For instance, the P5's will NEVER have much detail, no matter how much eq you give it. 

That being said, the M2's can be made so sound absolutely fantastic (especially compared to the P5). The bass is more accurate, mids are a little forward for my tastes, but that leaves room to eq the bass and treble, and not make them too recessed that you can't hear them. As for treble, they have the Senn veil. The good news is that you can add TONS of treble to them and they never get sibilant. Adding this treble also helps the lows sound better, as it helps with the overall tone. So now, you can have some thump, AND accuracy. 

To give you an idea of my tastes, I find the bass on the P5 to be bloated and not very accurate at all (though enjoyable for some moods). The M2 are also bloated somewhat (in wired mode), but not overly so, and DO have some accuracy to them (out of the box). This will also depend on your source files, and DAP.

If you are using the standard iPhone or iPod, you will find the M2 to be warm-ish, whereas you might find using something like the Fiio X5 to be more open. For myself, I enjoy (as my portable rig for these phones, and wired): Fiio X5>Fiio E17K (The nature of the E17K is sharp which is what I want for these headphones)>M2. I have eq off in the X5, and have the E17K set to +6 on treble (out of +10). If you want to rattle your brain, you can go up to about +6 on bass, and the M2 scales decently. Otherwise, these have enough bass for me most of the time to not need any boost. 

Keep in mind, that the M2 are NOT perfect, and you will NEVER reach the revealing nature, or airyness, or soundstage of something like my HD700's, but I would say that you can get a very fun sound with these. I have been in love with these since I got them, and if you use these with BT, I find them to have absolutely gorgeous sound without needing anything really. 

May 22, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #1,888 of 3,671

Hello all,

First time poster. I was going to join and give a post mortem after this whole thing blew over, but this seemed like a good point to jump in.

I bought these headphones and initially they were great. The skipping started, as described, around the time the weather got a little better and no longer wore a leather jacket. The jacket might be a red herring. It got so bad that it would skip with the phone in my pocket; I had to walk with the phone in my hand and my elbow bent in order to get any consistent signal at all.

I emailed Sennheiser asking if there was any way to improve Bluetooth performance (heh), and they responded saying they're taking my issue very seriously and would like me to send my unit to them for repair. I sent it that day. They eventually responded saying they'd be sending a replacement within 5 days.

A week and a half later, I heard nothing from them. I asked them for an update, and they said the replacements are on back-order and should arrive in about 2 weeks. I rolled my eyes and continued on with my life.

Yesterday, I got a phone call from Sennheiser (!). The guy told me that there's a big issue with a lot of these headsets - some are good, some are bad, and this one is bad. He said that this issue's being sent to Germany and unfortunately we're not likely to see a fix until the end of the summer. They did, however, offer to send me a set of M2 Wired headphones as a loaner until then. He said he'd get in touch with me when this is all sorted out to discuss the return of the wired M2s.

So, there you have it. I understand this is a huge pain in the ass and likely isn't acceptable to a lot of people. If you'd rather not deal with this, return your M2 Wireless if you can and check back in at the end of the summer. People might be foaming at the mouth about this, and a $550 set of headphones shouldn't fail catastrophically like this - but heck, if this isn't an example of a company trying to make it right, I don't know what is.

May 22, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,890 of 3,671

So, there you have it. I understand this is a huge pain in the ass and likely isn't acceptable to a lot of people. If you'd rather not deal with this, return your M2 Wireless if you can and check back in at the end of the summer. People might be foaming at the mouth about this, and a $550 set of headphones shouldn't fail catastrophically like this - but heck, if this isn't an example of a company trying to make it right, I don't know what is.

That's something that Germans are to respect for. They recognize their mistakes. And try to fix them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back