Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #7,291 of 7,699

What bass setting do you have your IE80 on? and are you getting a good seal?

These things are definitely not neutral, they're pretty bassy. Even on the lowest setting there's a decent amount of bass presence.

On Modi with A6 amplifier, which is an amplifier from Taobao, 80 is really pretty neutral. However on some other gears, like Xduoo X2 with NX1, it's very bassy.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #7,294 of 7,699
I bought IE80 from a friend. They are 100% genuine. I have them for a week now, but they still does not sound good to me (in the price range they sell). To me they are too bassy (even with the lowest bass option) which would not be so much bad, but to me they are just so muddy. They just does not sound clear enough (for a bassy headphones). Well I was using Vsonic GR01 for past few months, that are bright and detailed, but I wanted something more fun to listen, mostly for electronic music. And yes, they are listenable for electronic music, but I just expect more. IE80 are just not right for my taste. 

Any suggestions for bassier headphones in 250
$ price range, but they are not muddy? I think about T20? Maybe even DUNU DN2000? Well basically dynamic or hybrid headphones should be OK for my use. 

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #7,295 of 7,699
  I bought IE80 from a friend. They are 100% genuine. I have them for a week now, but they still does not sound good to me (in the price range they sell). To me they are too bassy (even with the lowest bass option) which would not be so much bad, but to me they are just so muddy. They just does not sound clear enough (for a bassy headphones). Well I was using Vsonic GR01 for past few months, that are bright and detailed, but I wanted something more fun to listen, mostly for electronic music. And yes, they are listenable for electronic music, but I just expect more. IE80 are just not right for my taste. 

$ price range, but they are not muddy? I think about T20? Maybe even DUNU DN2000? Well basically dynamic or hybrid headphones should be OK for my use. 

IE80 is very picky of source. Try some neutral source like Modi, Xduoo X3. For what I have, 80 is much worse on Xduoo X2 and Meridian Explorer than X3 and Modi.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #7,296 of 7,699

look at the frequency response graphs of the IEMs where you enjoy the low end, and same thing for the IE80 and other IEMs where you were dissatisfied. and try to find a pattern. it's your taste, only you will know when you get what you like. some like tight bass mostly boosted in the 80-100hz area, some like a little bump in the 30-40hz, some like a steady rise, etc.
maybe what you interpret as a bass problem is a medium problem? did you try the "tape mod" how does it feel?

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #7,297 of 7,699
I think the problem is that i consider bassy headphones those have v-shaped sound. And IE80 are not exactly v-shaped. That is why I enjoyed headphones like EPH-100, JVC FXT-90 and even RHA MA750. I think v-shape sound suits me, but it has to be closer to neutral, warm. It should not be dark.

So can you recommend me headphones with v-shaped sound, but detailed enough? Dunu DN2000? Max price I would like to is 400€/400$.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #7,298 of 7,699

May be you can try RHA T20 or FLC 8S. :) Both of them have filter options. So u can "custom" your own sound. :)

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #7,299 of 7,699
I just got Havi B3 pro1 from a headfier. This is a real great Earphone, but I think it has been insanely hyped. Its sound signature is very similar to IE80 and its sound quality is close to IE80. Its value beats 80 for sure but its soundstage/imaging is no better than IE80. Especially soundstage height, though very good, is obvious falling behind IE80. And I think IE80's sound is more refined.

I'm so sorry many people didn't drive IE80 well and degrade this classical Senn.'s product!

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #7,300 of 7,699
Thank you all. Tommorow gonna visit store and try some headphones. Bad thing is Dunu are not sold in my country, I wanted to try them. Gonna try Shure SE535, Fidue A83, A73, RHA T20, T10, ATH CKR 10 and 9. Sadly nothing more that could suit me isnt avalable in my country.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #7,301 of 7,699
Source does make a difference with the IE80. Here are my thoughts:

iPhone 6 SE - bass is a little boomy and loose. Not really unpleasant for most types of music, but too much for bass heavy tracks for me.
Onkyo DP-X1 - bass is fast and tight. Near perfect for my tastes. SE output was a little bass light. I got balanced cables and bass extends pretty nicely.
iFi Micro iDSD - even more boomy than iPhone but not as loose and extends lower. Would recommend for bass heads.
ALO CDM - using balanced, it's a warmer version of the Onkyo DP-X1. A little too warm for my tastes, but bass is nice and controlled.

I have the bass dials set to default which is at the lowest setting.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #7,302 of 7,699
Tried multiple IEMs today. Final was RHA T20 vs T10. I really did not expect T10 to suit me at all, but with treble filter, it was suprisingly nice. But T20 won, mostly because i can always decrease bass, as i like them with reference filter.

Also tried IE80 with some players (Fiio X5 II, AK Jr, Ibasso DX90). With DX90 they finally sounded to my taste. But I won't pay too much money for a player, I rather buy new IEM. With AK Jr, they weren't bad either.

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #7,303 of 7,699
I agree with many of the comments that the IE80s are very bassy.  I have used them with an iPhone 6S, Fiio X3, Sony NWZ-A17, rockboxed Sansa Clip +, and it sounds bassy on all of them.

When I got them, they were my first foray into audiophile IEMs, and I thought they sounded great, but I recently got my Trinity Sabres, and the Sabres blow them out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back