Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jun 23, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #5,282 of 7,998
Jun 23, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #5,283 of 7,998
Uploading from mobile devices is kinda tricky, George. But now you might want to look again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry. I did not know why the picture disappeared 
biggrin.gif

Looks like a nice set of ie800. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #5,284 of 7,998
Unless you're an expert at identifying fakes (and note the classic flaws have been fixed) you should only buy your ie800 directly from Sennheiser. Don't even buy from an authorized seller. Stamping "made in germany" is one of the easiest challenges of faking an ie800 lol.

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #5,285 of 7,998
This is how your set must look like:

Thanks for the picture. In my case, it's not a case of worrying about counterfeits, but concerns about cost cutting measures made by Sennhieser. Everyone, eventually, wants to save a buck during manufacturing and I just wanted to make sure Sennheiser hadn't gone that route with the IE800.

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5,286 of 7,998
Whilst the posted pics look completely authentic, I really agree about buying direct from Sennheiser. Virtually everything, including spare tips, on Ebay is a fake.

The most difficult thing to fake is the case I think.

I bought some spare tips knowing they were fake, but I wanted to see the quality. It was very poor when compared to the real items. I confronted the seller who was very aggressive and righteous until I posted him pictures of authentic tips!

One guy in the UK is selling ex-demo sets every couple of days, without case or box of course.

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #5,287 of 7,998
Thanks for the picture. In my case, it's not a case of worrying about counterfeits, but concerns about cost cutting measures made by Sennhieser. Everyone, eventually, wants to save a buck during manufacturing and I just wanted to make sure Sennheiser hadn't gone that route with the IE800.
even if you get a pair of "made in China" ones, should they exist, as has been said, these days sometimes that is an extra sign of quality.

Not the 1970s anymore thankfully, although I do understand the stigma attached... I bought an electronic item recently that was made in Cambodia, that brought my scepticism out, but absolutely no issues at all.

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #5,288 of 7,998
even if you get a pair of "made in China" ones, should they exist, as has been said, these days sometimes that is an extra sign of quality.

Not the 1970s anymore thankfully, although I do understand the stigma attached... I bought an electronic item recently that was made in Cambodia, that brought my scepticism out, but absolutely no issues at all.

Probably, 95% of the audio stuff I own (DAPs, IEMs, Headphones, DACs) are made in China. I in no way, wanted to disparage their ability to produce quality devices, but if the IE800 were to have been moved to China, I would not repurchase it. Using that imaginary scenario, I'm sure that the resale value of, Original German made IE800s, would go through the roof. Some things you just can't change, IMO 

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #5,289 of 7,998

Probably, 95% of the audio stuff I own (DAPs, IEMs, Headphones, DACs) are made in China. I in no way, wanted to disparage their ability to produce quality devices, but if the IE800 were to have been moved to China, I would not repurchase it. Using that imaginary scenario, I'm sure that the resale value of, Original German made IE800s, would go through the roof. Some things you just can't change, IMO 

. . . 

I would ask why?

Giving any proper company with proper QC a set of instructions to strictly follow will result in high quality products. 

China is the place where most manufacturing is done because raw materials and work is cheap. All materials. Compared, importing those materials, and having the work done in other countries results in the same quality, but more expensive to make. 

I have been using Fiio DAPs which are Chinese for years now, and I must say, they totally rock!

Also, my phone, laptop, ext HDD, chair, fan, keyboard, mouse, power bricks, router, are all made in china. All of them vary in quality and degree of work invested in them, vary in price, and ultimately, the country in which they were made is not a good indicator, but the brand (company) making them is. 

Fiio EX1 IEMs can take a lot of abuse and still sound the same, made in China. I had more expensive IEMs die faster, and they were not made in China. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #5,290 of 7,998

. . . 

I would ask why?

Giving any proper company with proper QC a set of instructions to strictly follow will result in high quality products. 

China is the place where most manufacturing is done because raw materials and work is cheap. All materials. Compared, importing those materials, and having the work done in other countries results in the same quality, but more expensive to make. 

I have been using Fiio DAPs which are Chinese for years now, and I must say, they totally rock!

Also, my phone, laptop, ext HDD, chair, fan, keyboard, mouse, power bricks, router, are all made in china. All of them vary in quality and degree of work invested in them, vary in price, and ultimately, the country in which they were made is not a good indicator, but the brand (company) making them is. 

Fiio EX1 IEMs can take a lot of abuse and still sound the same, made in China. I had more expensive IEMs die faster, and they were not made in China. 

I think you already answered your question, for me. If production of the IE800 were moved to China and the savings were passed onto the consumer, let say $400 for the IE800 instead of $800, fair enough. But, if the price remained the same, using the examples you provided, then I would not replace. There is a certain Mystique, when one believes, there is a high degree of craftsmanship involved, IMHO. That is why "Boutique" IEM, Headphones, Amps, Dacs, etc. makers, can ask crazy-talk prices, because consumers believe they are getting something unique and special. This is the way Sennheiser markets all their TOTL devices and consumers don't mind paying the premium price, even though I would never consider Sennheiser a "Boutique" brand. This is only my opinion and as such, can be totally disregarded.     

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #5,291 of 7,998
  Can any recent purchasers confirm that the IE800 is still made in Germany?

Yes, they are 100% made in Germany.

No real IE 800 are made outside of Germany.

If there is, they are fake ones.

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #5,292 of 7,998

Yes, they are 100% made in Germany.

No real IE 800 are made outside of Germany.

If there is, they are fake ones.

The IE 800 are designed, engineered and made in Germany. 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 29, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #5,293 of 7,998
[mod comment]

Due to the large number of flagged posts, I have branched off most of AlexMills posts (complaints about the IE800 and also his take on modding them) to their own thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/812757/sennheiser-ie800-iems-modding-issues

It's taken me more than an hour to do this - I don't want a repeat.

If you feel that this is being dragged off topic again, or manipulated by a single member - flag the posts, but don't reply to them.  It's less mess to clear up.

Thanks

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #5,294 of 7,998
let clear this up.
1. dita truth is one of a kind in the single dynamic driver category and is better than ie800 through my experience.
2. ba can sound as emotional as dynamic driver. example: final audio design.
3. as long as you like the sound, that is the most important.

cheers!

beerchug.gif

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #5,295 of 7,998
  let clear this up.
1. dita truth is one of a kind in the single dynamic driver category and is better than ie800 through my experience.
2. ba can sound as emotional as dynamic driver. example: final audio design.
3. as long as you like the sound, that is the most important.

cheers!

beerchug.gif

I haven't heard the DITA, but could that company really make a driver as good as the ie800's? The ie800's driver is weird, super hard and I don't even know how it moves, and at the same time it can move A LOT of air, and very fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back