Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 21, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #3,931 of 7,998
I just roll it looser, around the connector in the middle. IE800 is very compact when rolled like this, I just place it in the top mesh pouch inside the SE846 zipper case.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #3,932 of 7,998
I already thought of using a normal case instead but IE800 has a composite cable which you cannot roll in place of the joint. This makes it impossible to place it in an ordinary portable headphone case. I have two of them and I tried both. Neither of them works. The only case that is suitable is the one that comes with IE800.

I use a Pelican Sports Wallet for mine and it keeps them snug and very safe.
The stock fit is too tight so I removed the lining on one side and it now works perfectly.

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #3,933 of 7,998
Does anyone know what custom IEM has a similar sound signature to the IE 800? I have looked around for this answer but none of the threads are very recent, so they don't really help me in this rapidly updating market. 

I really like the IE 800, I haven't heard an IEM that sounds better, BUT I also haven't tried any high end custom (or customs at all for that matter). Ideally, I would like something with TAD more bass emphasis. I know that sounds crazy but I want just a little more. 

I am hoping to trade for a used set of whatever CIEM and then have it reshelled, that way I can save some cash over buying new. SO, what CIEM would anyone here recommend that would share the same used value as my IE 800? 

Thanks in advance.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #3,934 of 7,998
  Does anyone know what custom IEM has a similar sound signature to the IE 800? I have looked around for this answer but none of the threads are very recent, so they don't really help me in this rapidly updating market. 

I really like the IE 800, I haven't heard an IEM that sounds better, BUT I also haven't tried any high end custom (or customs at all for that matter). Ideally, I would like something with TAD more bass emphasis. I know that sounds crazy but I want just a little more. 

I am hoping to trade for a used set of whatever CIEM and then have it reshelled, that way I can save some cash over buying new. SO, what CIEM would anyone here recommend that would share the same used value as my IE 800? 

Thanks in advance.

I have UM Miracle CIEM (for sale for that matter) but they are not even close to IE800. So you can cross them out from your CIEMs-to-try list.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #3,935 of 7,998

I have UM Miracle CIEM (for sale for that matter) but they are not even close to IE800. So you can cross them out from your CIEMs-to-try list.

Hey that helps. They're more on the bright side correct? So far I think I am looking at the 1964 Ears V8, but I'll probably have to add cash to that trade.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #3,936 of 7,998
  Hey that helps. They're more on the bright side correct? So far I think I am looking at the 1964 Ears V8, but I'll probably have to add cash to that trade.

The problem with CIEMs and most of the other IEMs which I tried at the recent Head-Fi'ers meeting is that if they have BA drivers even if they are hybrid BA+Dynamic the sound is way too different from IE800. It's not about dark and bright. It's about completely different way the sound waves are formed. They are just all sound armaturish, i.e artificial compared to IE800. Some people don't notice it. If you are one of them, you may still try to find out yourself. Actually if you don't try you will always nag yoursef why didn't you do it)

What I know is that most of the CIEMs have BA drivers so for me this is 100% no way they can match IE800 whether they cost $1000 or $3000. There are only two companies which make BA drivers as far as I'm aware. So no matter what CIEM manufacturer you take they will all use the same drivers after some adjustment of course. After the experience I got, I consider that, BA (or BA+dynamic) IEMs/CIEMs are not for natural sound reproduction. I will never buy them again.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,937 of 7,998

The problem with CIEMs and most of the other IEMs which I tried at the recent Head-Fi'ers meeting is that if they have BA drivers even if they are hybrid BA+Dynamic the sound is way too different from IE800. It's not about dark and bright. It's about completely different way the sound waves are formed. They are just all sound armaturish, i.e artificial compared to IE800. Some people don't notice it. If you are one of them, you may still try to find out yourself. Actually if you don't try you will always nag yoursef why didn't you do it)

What I know is that most of the CIEMs have BA drivers so for me this is 100% no way they can match IE800 whether they cost $1000 or $3000. There are only two companies which make BA drivers as far as I'm aware. So no matter what CIEM manufacturer you take they will all use the same drivers after some adjustment of course. After the experience I got, I consider that, BA (or BA+dynamic) IEMs/CIEMs are not for natural sound reproduction. I will never buy them again.

Damn well that puts a damper on my CIEM search! Have you tried the DITA The Answer (Truth or not)? Or the AKG K3003i? I know the AKG is a hybrid and uses a dynamic and 2 BAs as well, but I'd like to hear some comparisons. I think I am looking for something with a dynamic driver, or a sound that can match one.

I will say that I have kind of experienced what you are talking about, I didn't really like the Westone 4 because it sounded funny and had what seemed to be 2 BA's producing the same notes at times when it was supposed to be either the low or the mid driver producing that note. I'm sure it could be even worse if there are 6-10 BA drivers. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #3,938 of 7,998
  Damn well that puts a damper on my CIEM search! Have you tried the DITA The Answer (Truth or not)? Or the AKG K3003i? I know the AKG is a hybrid and uses a dynamic and 2 BAs as well, but I'd like to hear some comparisons. I think I am looking for something with a dynamic driver, or a sound that can match one.

I will say that I have kind of experienced what you are talking about, I didn't really like the Westone 4 because it sounded funny and had what seemed to be 2 BA's producing the same notes at times when it was supposed to be either the low or the mid driver producing that note. I'm sure it could be even worse if there are 6-10 BA drivers. 

Someone at JH Angie thread, described it as a souped-up IE800. See, if you can audition that universal angies, before going customs.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #3,939 of 7,998
Well, I ended up seeing a sweet deal on a 1964 Ears V6 ($315) and snagged it. I figured it was a good enough deal that buying it wouldn't be too big of a risk.

I'm hanging onto the IE 800 for now too.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #3,940 of 7,998
No BA Driver IEM is going to sound like the IE800. If one wants a custom IEM and wants it to sound like the IE800 one can try the Future Sonics MG5 Pro or try the Aurisonics custom AS2.5.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #3,941 of 7,998
No BA Driver IEM is going to sound like the IE800. If one wants a custom IEM and wants it to sound like the IE800 one can try the Future Sonics MG5 Pro or try the Aurisonics custom AS2.5.

It looks that way, hopefully the V6 will satisfy me, but in case it doesn't, I still have the ie 800

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #3,943 of 7,998
The guy I bought it off of said the signature is similar to the TF10, so that's good news to me. I had 2 pairs of TF10's at one point because I liked the sound so much, but decided the fit and struggle for seal was just too annoying so I sold them both. I won't have that issue with a custom, and I'm looking forward to that.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #3,944 of 7,998
I was mentioning to someone yesterday that the TF10 is the unsung hero of the IEM world, I remember a Black Friday sale when they were going for $99, steal of the millennium IMHO...

As to BA not sounding like dynamic, I used to agree, not anymore... There is a definite blurring of the lines higher up the price ranges...

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #3,945 of 7,998
TF10 and the IE800 sounds completely different. One is flat and boring which lacks bass the other is fun exciting that not only pounds the bass but hands you clear and detailed treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back