Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #5,116 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just be cautious though haha. The thing I like about the IE8 is that it gets me into the music like no other IEM I've tried. I can forget about bass and mids and treble and all the other categorizations we make, and just enjoy the music. This is what I find to be special about them, It doesn't mean it'll do the same for you though hahaha.

I agree as well. They're just so enjoyable to listen to. I love them more and more everytime I listen!

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #5,117 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE 8 were the first headphones that made me smile wide on nigh every listen (annoying me since smiling unseats them). Since then, none of my headphone/earphone purchases have made me smile as much (including the ER4P, Grado HF2, JH13, and HD 650).

JH13??....Now that's sacrilege!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I would love to hear about the differences that make you say this, because I've been entertaining the idea of getting a pair done at some point. But the price tag is rather prohibitive, especially considering you're stuck with them without the possibility of resale if there's any aspect of their sound you're not happy with.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #5,118 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH13??....Now that's sacrilege!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I would love to hear about the differences that make you say this, because I've been entertaining the idea of getting a pair done at some point. But the price tag is rather prohibitive, especially considering you're stuck with them without the possibility of resale if there's any aspect of their sound you're not happy with.

Don't get me wrong, the JH13 is much better than the IE 8, and definitely much more emotive and involving, but the IE 8 holds a special place in my heart for redefining what I thought high-end IEMs were (in terms of their remarkable similarities to full-size headphones like the HD 650). It is a much different personality compared to the TF10pro, SE530, ER-4P, UM3X, et cetera. I still regret having sold it.

The IE 8 actually beats out the JH13 in soundstage size (though the 13 rips the IE 8 apart in separation and imaging).

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #5,119 of 8,119
I think I may have a cable problem. Occasionally, the left side just drops out for no reason. Disconnecting the phone from the cable and reattaching it seems to fix it, but I'm concerned that there may be something wrong.
Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just me?

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #5,120 of 8,119
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, the JH13 is much better than the IE 8, and definitely much more emotive and involving, but the IE 8 holds a special place in my heart for redefining what I thought high-end IEMs were (in terms of their remarkable similarities to full-size headphones like the HD 650). It is a much different personality compared to the TF10pro, SE530, ER-4P, UM3X, et cetera. I still regret having sold it.

The IE 8 actually beats out the JH13 in soundstage size (though the 13 rips the IE 8 apart in separation and imaging).

Perhaps you can pick up another pair second hand here. The phones that wind up holding a special place in your lineup like that, and which you always think of fondly, should be a permanent fixture. I should know, I sold off the IE8's the first time, and then decided to try them again when I would think back about the hints at their strengths I had heard. Turns out the first pair hadn't burned in enough, and I hadn't given tip choice enough experimentation.

I would totally expect the JH13's to crush the IE8's on separation and resolution, which would explain why they're so drooled over here, since it seems that most members hold utmost detail/resolution/separation as the end-all be-all quality. I like stuff with the soul and laid-back sound of the IE8's, recabled Ultrasone HFI-780's, and also now the Klipsch Image S4's (quite astonishing mid-tier universal)...

How does the bass compare between the JH13 & IE8?

Thanks again for your impressions....

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #5,121 of 8,119
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, the JH13 is much better than the IE 8

Good to hear the JH13 might be worth their money. I'm just in the process of realizing that the IE8 is generally a better sounding IEM than my UE11. I'd never thought that would happen. Of course the IE8's isolation is nothing short of pathetic compared to a custom IEM.

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #5,122 of 8,119
yea, but i suspect that the sound on them would be very different and much smaller if they were closed,

i think sennhaiser pulled off something not many have managed before,
Open IEM´s,

well, the sound might be great, but i thought that the idea of monitors was to isolate the artist so he dosnt go daft in concerts, open iems kind of beat that purspose, no ?

just a random thought, in the end, i love my IE8, and i cant afford the JH13pro, so i guess this is the best my money would take me,

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #5,124 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you can pick up another pair second hand here. The phones that wind up holding a special place in your lineup like that, and which you always think of fondly, should be a permanent fixture. I should know, I sold off the IE8's the first time, and then decided to try them again when I would think back about the hints at their strengths I had heard. Turns out the first pair hadn't burned in enough, and I hadn't given tip choice enough experimentation.

I would totally expect the JH13's to crush the IE8's on separation and resolution, which would explain why they're so drooled over here, since it seems that most members hold utmost detail/resolution/separation as the end-all be-all quality. I like stuff with the soul and laid-back sound of the IE8's, recabled Ultrasone HFI-780's, and also now the Klipsch Image S4's (quite astonishing mid-tier universal)...

How does the bass compare between the JH13 & IE8?

Thanks again for your impressions....

I would purchase the IE 8 again if I found a good deal on it or the price dropped substantially. $250+ is a bit much for me since I'm in the process of updating my desktop setup, and I honestly think the IE 8 is a little more expensive than it should be.

The JH13 doesn't have any midbass boost, whereas the IE 8 has globs of it. The 13 has a boost sub-bass boost (below 100Hz) centered at around 50Hz which imparts a more visceral feel and impact without adding much perceived bass quantity. The IE 8 has substantially more bass at any bass knob setting in terms of quantity, whereas the JH13 trades that quantity for much more detail, control, texture, and unbelievable speed. The 13 can't shake my head like the IE 8 can with mainstream electronic (which is loaded with 160Hz-ish bass). The 13's bass doesn't smear with anything, not even with the fastest speed metal (where the IE 8 is prone to turn super-smudgy).

The 13's bass sounds more tactile and real, whereas the IE 8's bass has more power and grunt. The IE 8 has more of a personality (which I loved), whereas the JH13 is utterly uncolored and conveys the music through the frame it was intended.

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #5,126 of 8,119
3X0-
Thanks a bunch for that great comparison. That gives the best impression of anything I've read so far about the low ends of each phone. I totally agree with your thoughts on the IE8. I greatly enjoy them too. Sadly it'll probably be a long long while (if ever) before I get to hear the JH13's. Since I like a really impactful low end, I'm afraid I'd get the JH's and not be totally satisfied with them.

Again, thanks a ton, very valuable info.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #5,127 of 8,119
well i certainly was dissapointed with the ie8, especially with its bass knob
frown.gif

overall they sounded hollow and lacked a rich full bodied mid to lower mid and low sections and had harsh harsh harsh highs,,,,,,,, maybe i got a bad pair??????????

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #5,128 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

overall they sounded hollow and lacked a rich full bodied mid to lower mid and low sections and had harsh harsh harsh highs,,,,,,,, maybe i got a bad pair??????????

Where did you buy them from?

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #5,129 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Hey techenvy my experience with the said IEMs is in complete contrast to yours so it's tough making a recommendation to you. If the W3 and IE8 bass quantity doesn't satisfy you then perhaps the C710 will do because I found that it has greater bass impact than the FX500, IE8 and W3 but am still ambivalent to recommending those because if you find the treble of the IE8 to be harsh then............

Harsh treble is something uncharacteristic of the IE8 to my ears. The C710 has more treble energy than the IE8 whilst the IE8 has much smoother and more extended treble. Are you sure you didn't receive a dud unit?

I look forward to seeing which of the IEMs around will satisfy your bass needs though haha.

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #5,130 of 8,119
I've read this entire thread before and I know that there was a section on it for amps, but just for clarification can anyone tell me how much the nuforce icon mobile improves the bass? Even on the lowest setting I that the bass could be a little more tight as they are with the PFEs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rebski, I was a bit surprised myself, but the only thing I regret is that I didn't get them earlier. Here's how I would rate them, on the 2nd day: Comparison of 28 popular IEMs (Spreadsheet) - Headphones - abi>>forums - of course that will change, once I get more accustomed to them.

Can't wait for the full review! I got the Phonak Audeo PFEs after reading your review and they were everything you said they would be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back