Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Jun 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #931 of 3,016
Did a google search for Grouplink in HK, cannot a single bit of valuable information on the company.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #932 of 3,016
Hi AlanHell. I was wondering, where did you get the information that, for USB, it can only handle 24/192 with bitrate less than 5300kbps...?

Just wondering. I looked around and I could not find these specs anywhere.

Thanks for the help.

I did not go online to find out the information but simplly try out different songs. You are right about the 24/96 play back. It is not always working, but with lower bit rate, it works. The thing is, I found the dac is bitrate dependent. If I fire some lower bitrate 24/96, it works on optical. If I fire some 24/192 with super high bitrate like 5400kbps, the noise floor increases a lot. Again, I am not sure if mine has a defect dac. I highly doubt it though.

If you have some music matches up the bitrate, plz try them, I do wanna see if it happens only on my dac.

I can dropbox you some music I have problem with, if you want.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #933 of 3,016
Quote:
Did a google search for Grouplink in HK, cannot a single bit of valuable information on the company.

http://www.xmos.com/partners/company/grouplink

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #934 of 3,016
Quote:
Hi there, I'm not an expert but just in case it helps, I also have the Cardas Clear XLR 4 pin. THINKER also has the Cardas Clear XLR 4 pin, and he's terrific at explaining his impressions. (you'll find some in the earlier posts) In my opinion, I suggest you wait for the clear cable to arrive. IT'S WORTH THE WAIT!
Because I'm not technically versed on it, I can only describe my impression - it sounds smooth and silky. Like bathing your ears in cream!!! Unfortunately, I only have the Cardas Clear Light in 1/4 inch so it's difficult to compare directly with 4 pin Clear. The Light in 1/4 inch sounds really fantastic, but the Clear Balanced is a phenomenal step up. Sorry I can't compare them as both balanced.

GET THE CLEAR!!!!!    :)

Thank you for that very colorful description of the Cardas Clear headphone cable, you put a big smile on my face
wink_face.gif

Well I picked up the Cardas Clear light 4 pin XLR and the Cardas Quadlink Power cables for my HDVD800 & HD800. The dealer agreed to allow me to test these cables for week or two and agreed to order the Clear4 pin XLR as well. I guess it’s because I have been dealing with him for the last 25yrs.
Well, comparing the Sennheiser power and ¼ Headphone cable to the Cardas Clear light and Quadlink power cable. The Cardas Improved the soundstage, more depth just a lot more air, the bass has more weight and is just tighter, while the highs are just incredible, tad warmer.
After 2 days of extended listing with the Cardas cables with the HDVD 800, HD800 this system sounds incredible to me. Needless to say I will be keeping these cables and I will be looking forward to testing  the Clears with the HDVD 800 as well,  whenever Cardas decides to ship them to my dealer(very limited demand for the 4pin XLR for The HDVD 800s is what I am told, so it becomes a special order)

Thanks gentleman for your help!

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #935 of 3,016
[size=medium]I have tried to write this like a post but it came out like a story so I apologize for that for the length and for my English (I learn them by listening to lp records during the 70s and 80s) since they are not my native language. [/size]
[size=medium]I am monitoring this wonderful community Head-fi (hang out asylum for “nut cases” like myself) on daily base since I bought the HD 800 late 2009 or early 2010 I can’t remember exactly, anyway serial no. 080xx.[/size]
[size=medium]I never thought I would send a post here. I was very happy and feeling privileged to just read all these information and discussions about this wonderful hobby and over these years I have practically read everything written in these forums (and the internet) concerning the HD 800. [/size]
[size=medium]It is obvious that I was trying like so many of you to figure out the rest of the gear that will lead me to complete the perfect match for these truly [/size]great headphones without spending a fortune if possible.
[size=medium]To audition all this gear in my country was and is practically out of the question.[/size]
[size=medium]Top equipment like Apex Pinacl, The Eddy Carnet amps, The Ray Samuels amps, DNA Stratus, GS-x the Big Woo amps, ware out of my league money wise since I am not a rich person and I wasn’t supposed to mess around with stuff like that anyway and even if I was eyeball to stretch somehow the money thinking to pass them through Greek customs, it sounded like the most expensive worst nightmare. [/size]
[size=medium]So I was left with non USA or ASIA Company’s options, Violectric, Trafomatic Lehman, Icon, Burson if I was lucky, Bryston there is a rep hear, and few others.[/size]
[size=medium]And then Mother Sen. came up with the ultimate solution to solve all my problems with the HDVD 800 + HDVA 600. I felt relieved and very lucky, I haven’t done any significant purchase until then (I was focusing on Violectric hpa v200 at the that time.)[/size]
[size=medium]I thought I didn’t even have to audition since then I believed - and I still do - that in that price range these amps head the advantage over all the competition since the transducer manufacture is making the matching the voicing and the tuning of the amp the outcome probably will be optimum for his cans. [/size]
[size=medium]At that point I start saving money and cleaning up my credit card waiting with anticipation the day that I will hear [/size]my favorite headphones maybe not at their full potential but at least like the manufacturer wanted them to sound within a given price range.
[size=medium]I was visiting this particular thread - maybe three times per day, every day since it started - so I have read everything that has been said here and elsewhere for these amps and of course everything at all HD 800 in any way related threads and all the other threads about the possible suitable amps (regardless if I was eyeball to bay that gear or not) for those headphones. So you can imagine, I’ve read a lot of pages.[/size]
[size=medium]But as you all know it took more than a year for this to happen. Finally, after that long waiting, first units start to arrive to the owners.[/size]
[size=medium]Then I called the Greek Sen. representative big company similar to Thoman, where they connected me to speak with the Sound & Vision Sales Manager, who promised me that as soon as the first units arrived, he would let me know. [/size]
[size=medium]As you all know the price of the HDVD 800 is very high and you can imagine how difficult was for a Greek person working (that was a miracle by itself alone) in the private sector in the middle of the biggest crises since ww2 that devastated this country to get that kind of many. [/size]
[size=medium]But I am a very sick person as I mentioned above so I went the extra mileage and when that guy called I was possessing the cleanest and healthiest Greek credit card ever.[/size]
[size=medium]The headquarters of this company is about 30 km outside Athens so I practically flew there and since I was fool enough not to remember my credit cart pin number I flew another 30 km to my house and comeback again but hey!!!  I was holding in my hands the first and only unit that came to Greece the land of eleven million troubles.[/size]
[size=medium]At least that is what the guy told me. [/size]
[size=medium]I didn’t like that from the beginning and it sounded peculiar to me to possess the first and only unit that came to [/size]the country. Usually those units go at the shops and they become demo units. This company has quite a few shops in Athens, not to mention the other cities.
[size=medium]But anyway it took me two or three days to take that out of my mind, along with the thought that probably they have opened the box they have played with my unit and all that and went on with the percuss.[/size]
[size=medium]I don’t know if there is a thread already somewhere on Headfi with what I’m going to say now but it most defiantly should since I am sure that many of you came up in some point with the same question if you buy expensive or super expensive audio gear. The package !!! [/size]
[size=medium]Why in the name of Sennheiser and others (I have steeled that from another post sorry I couldn’t helped) if I buy a 20,00 euros headphone is nicely sealed in plastic but when I buy a 1.800,00 euros piece of equipment is in an open box and the unit is wrapped in a plastic bag with only one piece of scotch’s tape?!  This is not the first time I have this question since I am a seek person as I’ve mentioned before and the same thing had happened to me already a few times in the past. (a little distant past I am afraid ).[/size]
[size=medium]Anyway I was very excited to bother too much with these maters (same thing happened the other times though, because of the sickness probably) [/size]
[size=medium]So I went home I put the box on the kitchen table, I opened a bottle and my girlfriend and I had a glass of red wine over my long waited new toy.[/size] (She is the understanding kind. Lucky me).
[size=11pt] Then I harry to my study  I plugged the HD 800 to my new amp and start to listen [/size]
[size=11pt][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium]The sound was very good a lot better from what I was getting from my other equipment but not what I was expecting to be honest, so I press repeat and I let the amp on and playing for a few days. In the meantime I was listening in from time to time and I had the feeling that the sound was getting better as the time went by.[/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium]At some point I plug my IEMs (no hiss no nothing[/size] by the way) and by mistake they fell behind the amp so in order to get them I found myself looking at the amp from the left side at a peculiar uncle and this is what I so:[/size]
[size=11pt][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Nice e !!!![/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]So next day I called up the S.&V.S.M. guy and I drove (slowly this time} again the 30 km to the company, and the Sound & Vision Sales Manager and I went to the service department where a technician told me that it was an assembly line problem. [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And I was told at that time, that as soon as the next unit arrives they will call me.  [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]No problem I said to myself. These things can happen big company Sen. ,Big company the rep. the only thing I had to do is to waited out and in a few days I was going to continue with my pursuit of the perfect sound (I have borrowed that to).[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]The funny thing was that the day before the Sen. rep. proudly announced in this thread that the company win the Red Dot award for the HDVD 800, and I mention that to the S. &.V.S.M before I go.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And on the way back (slowly driving) I was thinking what a slick machine that was and the beautiful way it was crafted a truly awesome looking piece of equipment [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Four days passed I think and the call came in!!! I flew again 60km to the rep and back to my house.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]I put the box on the kitchen table, I took the same bottle of wine and my girlfriend and I had another glass. [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]She is warring a pair of multifocal glasses and when I take the amp out of the bag she looked at it and she shouted a!!! There is a small scratch[/size]![/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=11pt]B[/size][size=11pt]ut I wasn’t eyeball to see it without trying hard so I thought no big deal and then harry to my study again only to find out that the new unit was having the exact same problem like the previous one.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=11pt][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium]I wasn’t pist-of big time yet[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium]Next thing I notice was that the glass window of the amp was out of place either because somebody put something very heavy on it or a very upset guy hit it with his fist (and I was getting there myself any minute now)[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt]After that I noticed that the plastic bag was having some small marks on it and I couldn’t remember those at the previous unit so I went back at page 30 of this thread and voila I found the perfect picture there no marks on the plastic bag!!! [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium] [size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt]but mine...[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]At that point my Scotty left the room.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]I said to myself don’t call the guy now, cool down and you will deal with this in the morning. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And as the time was passing by, I thought let’s hear some music. Music always make me feel better somehow can cure me from almost anything. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]After all music is the prime directive in this full of nut cases like myself hobby no?[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]So I plugged again the HD800 at the amp crank up the volume at 12 o clock and hit play on Pepe Habichuela / Dave Holland/[/size] Hands album and….[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]BOOOM WOW!!!!!!!! [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]How do you say this floored?? Yes! Yes! Yes! [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And the other expression my jaw dropped??? Yes! Yes! Yes! [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And the other I was blown??? Yes! Yes! Yes! [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]I have just discover exactly what Frank I discover few days after having two different units and how did he put it?  A WORLD  CLASS SOUND. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Now I am not in a position to verify or deny this title since my equipment is not on at that level but I think these might be the correct words to describe the sound I heard.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Smooth is the first impression and rich and liquid, musical, wonderful and everything was there with tons of detail. I listened all night no fatigue at all just music nonstop. I even forgot what happened and I was pleased contempt and very happy. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]The Scotty was sleeping next to me.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Next day I called the S.&.V.S.M. again and he told me that he had no idea about all this and that he gave me what the manufacture sent to him. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]At that point I remember the sound I heard last night so I told him that I was going to keep the amp until he was eyeball to present me with a flawless unit and I hang up.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Few days passed and the S. &.V.S.M. called and told me that they have wrote a report and send it to Sen. (the unit was still at my possession at that time).[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]A few more days passed and another guy called me this time and said that they want me to give the unit back and they are going to return my money.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Not a word for a new unit with no problems, no apology, no attempt to explain what happened. Nothing. Just return the unit and we give you your money back.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]I finally returned the unit to a shop at the center of Athens, where they returned the money to my credit card and told me the same story using almost the same words, and not a word for a replacement of the unit.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]So I told the guy there call your S. &.V.S. M and ask him why is that? and I left him with my business card and told him to call me.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]The guy did not call me back so after a few days I called him and asked what happened and he told me that they don’t know when Sennheiser will send new units and that was the only thing that he was willing to say. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]At the end I felt that they were not very happy at all with me, and they were trying to punish me for being such a bad customer, who had paid all that money to them, wasted all this time, drove all this kilometers and most of all had that huge disappointment, twice and at the end, I had the nerve not to like the units they tried to sell to me. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And that’s the end of my story.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]I am not going to speculate as to wh[/size]y and how all these happened and why these units ended up to my possession and I do have all the necessary documents, receipts, invoices to prove it if anyone feels that my story, the photos and the serial numbers of the two units below are not proof enough.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]So I leave that to you to comment upon and I am looking forward for your thoughts on this matter and if anyone who have true knowledge willing to chime in and enlighten me/us will be more than welcome and highly appreciated to do so.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium]the first unit.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium]the second unit.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium] [/size][/size][/size]

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #936 of 3,016
Quote:
[size=medium]I have tried to write this like a post...[/size]

First off, I can literally feel the stress in your writing and I am pretty sure you have OCD. I would recommend you go to see a doctor and then get some weekly counselling to help you with your problems. My sister has OCD and I know the amount of stress it used to put or her before she got help.

Secondly, I checked and my HDVD 800 looks the same way, the glass isn't perfect and there is some light bleed on the side of the power button. These are put together by hand and you can't really expect it to be 100% perfect. It doesn't affect the sound quality so it is really no big deal.

I hope this helps.

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #937 of 3,016
Quote:

[size=medium]I have tried to write this like a post but it came out like a story so I apologize for that for the length and for my English (I learn them by listening to lp records during the 70s and 80s) since they are not my native language. [/size]
[size=medium]I am monitoring this wonderful community Head-fi (hang out asylum for “nut cases” like myself) on daily base since I bought the HD 800 late 2009 or early 2010 I can’t remember exactly, anyway serial no. 080xx.[/size]
[size=medium]I never thought I would send a post here. I was very happy and feeling privileged to just read all these information and discussions about this wonderful hobby and over these years I have practically read everything written in these forums (and the internet) concerning the HD 800. [/size]
[size=medium]It is obvious that I was trying like so many of you to figure out the rest of the gear that will lead me to complete the perfect match for these truly [/size]great headphones without spending a fortune if possible.
[size=medium]To audition all this gear in my country was and is practically out of the question.[/size]
[size=medium]Top equipment like Apex Pinacl, The Eddy Carnet amps, The Ray Samuels amps, DNA Stratus, GS-x the Big Woo amps, ware out of my league money wise since I am not a rich person and I wasn’t supposed to mess around with stuff like that anyway and even if I was eyeball to stretch somehow the money thinking to pass them through Greek customs, it sounded like the most expensive worst nightmare. [/size]
[size=medium]So I was left with non USA or ASIA Company’s options, Violectric, Trafomatic Lehman, Icon, Burson if I was lucky, Bryston there is a rep hear, and few others.[/size]
[size=medium]And then Mother Sen. came up with the ultimate solution to solve all my problems with the HDVD 800 + HDVA 600. I felt relieved and very lucky, I haven’t done any significant purchase until then (I was focusing on Violectric hpa v200 at the that time.)[/size]
[size=medium]I thought I didn’t even have to audition since then I believed - and I still do - that in that price range these amps head the advantage over all the competition since the transducer manufacture is making the matching the voicing and the tuning of the amp the outcome probably will be optimum for his cans. [/size]
[size=medium]At that point I start saving money and cleaning up my credit card waiting with anticipation the day that I will hear [/size]my favorite headphones maybe not at their full potential but at least like the manufacturer wanted them to sound within a given price range.
[size=medium]I was visiting this particular thread - maybe three times per day, every day since it started - so I have read everything that has been said here and elsewhere for these amps and of course everything at all HD 800 in any way related threads and all the other threads about the possible suitable amps (regardless if I was eyeball to bay that gear or not) for those headphones. So you can imagine, I’ve read a lot of pages.[/size]
[size=medium]But as you all know it took more than a year for this to happen. Finally, after that long waiting, first units start to arrive to the owners.[/size]
[size=medium]Then I called the Greek Sen. representative big company similar to Thoman, where they connected me to speak with the Sound & Vision Sales Manager, who promised me that as soon as the first units arrived, he would let me know. [/size]
[size=medium]As you all know the price of the HDVD 800 is very high and you can imagine how difficult was for a Greek person working (that was a miracle by itself alone) in the private sector in the middle of the biggest crises since ww2 that devastated this country to get that kind of many. [/size]
[size=medium]But I am a very sick person as I mentioned above so I went the extra mileage and when that guy called I was possessing the cleanest and healthiest Greek credit card ever.[/size]
[size=medium]The headquarters of this company is about 30 km outside Athens so I practically flew there and since I was fool enough not to remember my credit cart pin number I flew another 30 km to my house and comeback again but hey!!!  I was holding in my hands the first and only unit that came to Greece the land of eleven million troubles.[/size]
[size=medium]At least that is what the guy told me. [/size]
[size=medium]I didn’t like that from the beginning and it sounded peculiar to me to possess the first and only unit that came to [/size]the country. Usually those units go at the shops and they become demo units. This company has quite a few shops in Athens, not to mention the other cities.
[size=medium]But anyway it took me two or three days to take that out of my mind, along with the thought that probably they have opened the box they have played with my unit and all that and went on with the percuss.[/size]
[size=medium]I don’t know if there is a thread already somewhere on Headfi with what I’m going to say now but it most defiantly should since I am sure that many of you came up in some point with the same question if you buy expensive or super expensive audio gear. The package !!! [/size]
[size=medium]Why in the name of Sennheiser and others (I have steeled that from another post sorry I couldn’t helped) if I buy a 20,00 euros headphone is nicely sealed in plastic but when I buy a 1.800,00 euros piece of equipment is in an open box and the unit is wrapped in a plastic bag with only one piece of scotch’s tape?!  This is not the first time I have this question since I am a seek person as I’ve mentioned before and the same thing had happened to me already a few times in the past. (a little distant past I am afraid ).[/size]
[size=medium]Anyway I was very excited to bother too much with these maters (same thing happened the other times though, because of the sickness probably) [/size]
[size=medium]So I went home I put the box on the kitchen table, I opened a bottle and my girlfriend and I had a glass of red wine over my long waited new toy.[/size] (She is the understanding kind. Lucky me).
[size=11pt] Then I harry to my study  I plugged the HD 800 to my new amp and start to listen [/size]
[size=11pt][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium]The sound was very good a lot better from what I was getting from my other equipment but not what I was expecting to be honest, so I press repeat and I let the amp on and playing for a few days. In the meantime I was listening in from time to time and I had the feeling that the sound was getting better as the time went by.[/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium]At some point I plug my IEMs (no hiss no nothing[/size] by the way) and by mistake they fell behind the amp so in order to get them I found myself looking at the amp from the left side at a peculiar uncle and this is what I so:[/size]
[size=11pt][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Nice e !!!![/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]So next day I called up the S.&V.S.M. guy and I drove (slowly this time} again the 30 km to the company, and the Sound & Vision Sales Manager and I went to the service department where a technician told me that it was an assembly line problem. [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And I was told at that time, that as soon as the next unit arrives they will call me.  [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]No problem I said to myself. These things can happen big company Sen. ,Big company the rep. the only thing I had to do is to waited out and in a few days I was going to continue with my pursuit of the perfect sound (I have borrowed that to).[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]The funny thing was that the day before the Sen. rep. proudly announced in this thread that the company win the Red Dot award for the HDVD 800, and I mention that to the S. &.V.S.M before I go.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And on the way back (slowly driving) I was thinking what a slick machine that was and the beautiful way it was crafted a truly awesome looking piece of equipment [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Four days passed I think and the call came in!!! I flew again 60km to the rep and back to my house.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]I put the box on the kitchen table, I took the same bottle of wine and my girlfriend and I had another glass. [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]She is warring a pair of multifocal glasses and when I take the amp out of the bag she looked at it and she shouted a!!! There is a small scratch[/size]![/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=11pt]B[/size][size=11pt]ut I wasn’t eyeball to see it without trying hard so I thought no big deal and then harry to my study again only to find out that the new unit was having the exact same problem like the previous one.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=11pt][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium]I wasn’t pist-of big time yet[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium]Next thing I notice was that the glass window of the amp was out of place either because somebody put something very heavy on it or a very upset guy hit it with his fist (and I was getting there myself any minute now)[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt]After that I noticed that the plastic bag was having some small marks on it and I couldn’t remember those at the previous unit so I went back at page 30 of this thread and voila I found the perfect picture there no marks on the plastic bag!!! [/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium] [size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt]but mine...[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]At that point my Scotty left the room.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]I said to myself don’t call the guy now, cool down and you will deal with this in the morning. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And as the time was passing by, I thought let’s hear some music. Music always make me feel better somehow can cure me from almost anything. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]After all music is the prime directive in this full of nut cases like myself hobby no?[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]So I plugged again the HD800 at the amp crank up the volume at 12 o clock and hit play on Pepe Habichuela / Dave Holland/[/size] Hands album and….[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]BOOOM WOW!!!!!!!! [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]How do you say this floored?? Yes! Yes! Yes! [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And the other expression my jaw dropped??? Yes! Yes! Yes! [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And the other I was blown??? Yes! Yes! Yes! [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]I have just discover exactly what Frank I discover few days after having two different units and how did he put it?  A WORLD  CLASS SOUND. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Now I am not in a position to verify or deny this title since my equipment is not on at that level but I think these might be the correct words to describe the sound I heard.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Smooth is the first impression and rich and liquid, musical, wonderful and everything was there with tons of detail. I listened all night no fatigue at all just music nonstop. I even forgot what happened and I was pleased contempt and very happy. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]The Scotty was sleeping next to me.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Next day I called the S.&.V.S.M. again and he told me that he had no idea about all this and that he gave me what the manufacture sent to him. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]At that point I remember the sound I heard last night so I told him that I was going to keep the amp until he was eyeball to present me with a flawless unit and I hang up.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Few days passed and the S. &.V.S.M. called and told me that they have wrote a report and send it to Sen. (the unit was still at my possession at that time).[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]A few more days passed and another guy called me this time and said that they want me to give the unit back and they are going to return my money.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]Not a word for a new unit with no problems, no apology, no attempt to explain what happened. Nothing. Just return the unit and we give you your money back.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]I finally returned the unit to a shop at the center of Athens, where they returned the money to my credit card and told me the same story using almost the same words, and not a word for a replacement of the unit.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]So I told the guy there call your S. &.V.S. M and ask him why is that? and I left him with my business card and told him to call me.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]The guy did not call me back so after a few days I called him and asked what happened and he told me that they don’t know when Sennheiser will send new units and that was the only thing that he was willing to say. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]At the end I felt that they were not very happy at all with me, and they were trying to punish me for being such a bad customer, who had paid all that money to them, wasted all this time, drove all this kilometers and most of all had that huge disappointment, twice and at the end, I had the nerve not to like the units they tried to sell to me. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]And that’s the end of my story.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]I am not going to speculate as to wh[/size]y and how all these happened and why these units ended up to my possession and I do have all the necessary documents, receipts, invoices to prove it if anyone feels that my story, the photos and the serial numbers of the two units below are not proof enough.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium][size=11pt][size=medium]So I leave that to you to comment upon and I am looking forward for your thoughts on this matter and if anyone who have true knowledge willing to chime in and enlighten me/us will be more than welcome and highly appreciated to do so.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium]the first unit.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt][size=medium]the second unit.[/size][/size][/size]

I am having a little trouble understanding you situation.  Other than the minor cosmetic imperfections, was there an issue with the performance of the amp?  Like the previous poster said, they appear to be within the manufacturing tolerances.  I doubt you will ever get a unit that is as perfect as you appear to be expecting.  I'm not sure what you are trying to imply by calling out the different stamp or mark on the plastic.  Are you concerned that you received a counterfeit unit?  To me, they both look authentic.  Do keep in mind, companies will make small changes with each manufacturing run.  I think that the differences you see are due to receiving units from different batches.  Again, I really fail to see what the big deal is.  

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #938 of 3,016
The demo unit I had and the production model I  bought were both well constructed. There was no imperfections in the glass or sloppy construction and they both sounded the same to my ears after the burn in period. I am working in the review now and should have it completed in a week or so.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #939 of 3,016
I do not have the glass problem. Only the LED has some bleeding when I turn it on.
The thing is, if you do not mention it, I would never discover it~~~~
In fact, the time took me to put the unit on the desk and powered it on was only 2 minutes. I do not even look at the amp carefully and then started to listen.
After that, I never look at the amp again cause my attention has been grabbed by the music right away.

I guess I am only a sound guy, even the amp is made of plastic, as long as it sounds good, I will be happy.................Besides, it is a very good looking amp!

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #940 of 3,016
Quote:
I did not go online to find out the information but simplly try out different songs. You are right about the 24/96 play back. It is not always working, but with lower bit rate, it works. The thing is, I found the dac is bitrate dependent. If I fire some lower bitrate 24/96, it works on optical. If I fire some 24/192 with super high bitrate like 5400kbps, the noise floor increases a lot. Again, I am not sure if mine has a defect dac. I highly doubt it though.

If you have some music matches up the bitrate, plz try them, I do wanna see if it happens only on my dac.

I can dropbox you some music I have problem with, if you want.

Ok there is a significant something else I've been dealing with that might be related to this. Are you by any chance using BitPerfect?

I'm using an iMac feeding the HDVD800 using USB. I have about 15 tracks that I got from HDtracks that are all 24/192 KHz, all with bitrates of 9216 kbps. When I use generic iTunes and set up the bitrate through the midi application to match those of my tracks, they play just fine with no issues. However, if I enable BitPerfect, about 7 of them develop a hiss in the playback, some quite severe. The weird thing is that in many of them, from the start of the track, the hiss starts low and then ramps up to a fixed level just prior to music starting. Sort of like someone adjusting the record volume up to playback level. Curiously, the ramping from low to high levels seems to be repeatable in character and in the exact same place for any given track which would imply there is something in the actual recording itself that normally folks don't hear, but some combination of the BitPerfect software and perhaps some characteristic of the HDVD800 is unmasking. Totally strange.

I've given information and problem tracks to the folks at BitPerfect to look at just the other day and haven't yet heard back.

This hiss/noise issue reminds me of making recordings on tape where the record level was way too low. When you would go to playback the recording, since the volume was too low, you would have to turn up the volume significantly but that would also result in the tape hiss coming way up as well.

Does this sound at all like what you are experiencing? Your .sig didn't list BitPerfect in your signal path so I'm wondering if there is something unique to the HDVD800 causing this. For example, if this hiss occurs based on the transfer mode being used it may not have anything to do with the BitPerfect software that I'm using at all other than the software transfers data over the USB to the DAC differently than iTunes does. I tried turning integer mode off and on but to no difference.

- Jeff

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #941 of 3,016
Quote:
[size=medium]I have tried to write this like a post ....[/size]

For what it's worth, my unit that I just received leaks light in the same place. I also have the same issue with the top glass. When viewed from the front of the unit, the nearest left corner of the glass is not down flush with the surface of the aluminum cover. This is very subtle but I did notice it when I first got it. Tried to push it down thinking maybe it just was not totally stuck onto the adhesive gasket. Didn't work.

So again it's been proven to me that paying more for something doesn't guarantee improvements in quality throughout. This is a nice looking unit, but in my personal opinion, its casing and tolerances really aren't up to what a $2K product should be. I would like to see the casing a little heavier so that it's not likely to bend if something with a little weight gets dropped on it. In fact that might even be the reason that the glass doesn't seat down correctly. With the case being so thin and flexible, when milling the case for the shoulder that the glass sets in, the case could flex not allowing the shoulder to cut deep enough.

However, if you are looking for the DAC/amp sonic qualities and they are actually there, then you can overlook some minor mass-production imperfections.

My concerns are those hidden performance flaws that may be there hidden until the day I need that performance assuming that it's there and then discover that what I thought I bought isn't there. E.g., the 24/88.2 maximum on optical. I mean, COME ON! I can't even run TOSlink at 24/96 on a $2000 DAC/headamp? Even though every single piece of advertising out there right now says that I can...Sheesh.

And now I'm starting to wonder about the 24/192 USB interface. Is there some kind of a noise level issue when certain USB transfer modes are used? Might be. Maybe not. At this point, who knows? These are the kinds of questions that I have.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #942 of 3,016
Quote:
The demo unit I had and the production model I  bought were both well constructed. There was no imperfections in the glass or sloppy construction and they both sounded the same to my ears after the burn in period. I am working in the review now and should have it completed in a week or so.

Hey Frank!

I know that you have been having issues trying to get information out of the Sennhesier guys that you know regarding the HDVD800. Maybe something like the following might get a response:

"There are some new owners of the HDVD800 that have discovered some significant issues with the optical and USB digital interfaces not functioning correctly or as advertised. What can you tell me about this?"

In addition to the 24/88.2 limit on optical (advertised everywhere as being 24/192 capable), it's starting to look as though the advertised 24/192 max on the USB may not be possible either without a severe increase in the noise floor and hiss on some tracks when using certain USB transfer modes.

At first I thought that this might have been a BitPerfect thing, but now I'm hearing rumors of other sources possibly having similar issues. I'm still trying to collect information on this from various sources though.

It's a real shame since all that I can see sonically for the HDVD800 is really positive. But when I try to listen to some of my 24/192 Tracks and the hiss is louder than the music itself, it makes me wonder how these limitations ever got out the manufacturer's door. They certainly delayed the releases long enough.

- Jeff

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #943 of 3,016
Jeff

I copied it and forwarded to the Sennheiser USA contact I have and I know the Sennheiser guys here follow this thread but the ones in Germany dont answer my PM. They just ignore them. Perhaps Sennheiser should address this problem from Germany. I suggest everyone havoing an issue send them back to the dealers for Sennheiser to fix them. My two were perfect. I had no issue with the demo or he one I bought. In any event I copied the thread and forwarded to my contact.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #944 of 3,016
Quote:

Ok there is a significant something else I've been dealing with that might be related to this. Are you by any chance using BitPerfect?

I'm using an iMac feeding the HDVD800 using USB. I have about 15 tracks that I got from HDtracks that are all 24/192 KHz, all with bitrates of 9216 kbps. When I use generic iTunes and set up the bitrate through the midi application to match those of my tracks, they play just fine with no issues. However, if I enable BitPerfect, about 7 of them develop a hiss in the playback, some quite severe. The weird thing is that in many of them, from the start of the track, the hiss starts low and then ramps up to a fixed level just prior to music starting. Sort of like someone adjusting the record volume up to playback level. Curiously, the ramping from low to high levels seems to be repeatable in character and in the exact same place for any given track which would imply there is something in the actual recording itself that normally folks don't hear, but some combination of the BitPerfect software and perhaps some characteristic of the HDVD800 is unmasking. Totally strange.

I've given information and problem tracks to the folks at BitPerfect to look at just the other day and haven't yet heard back.

This hiss/noise issue reminds me of making recordings on tape where the record level was way too low. When you would go to playback the recording, since the volume was too low, you would have to turn up the volume significantly but that would also result in the tape hiss coming way up as well.

Does this sound at all like what you are experiencing? Your .sig didn't list BitPerfect in your signal path so I'm wondering if there is something unique to the HDVD800 causing this. For example, if this hiss occurs based on the transfer mode being used it may not have anything to do with the BitPerfect software that I'm using at all other than the software transfers data over the USB to the DAC differently than iTunes does. I tried turning integer mode off and on but to no difference.

- Jeff

I do have the "hiss" problems!!!! Very very strange problem to get from the DAC~~

Well, I do not have a MAC, so I am using foobar2000. I have installed all the latest version of decoder and addons. I tried to use all possible outputs: WASAPI(PUSH and EVENT), KS, ASIO and DS. All of them seems to have the same problem.

Are you sure your iTune is not down sampling the output automatically to you? For what I read online, even you set it to 24/192 in MIDI, there are still many automatic stuff happening inside the software that you cannot see. What I read is that if you use USB, the effect of the setting is unknown. That means, they may down sample the bitrate base on the hardware information they read from HDVD800. As bitPerfect or foobar2000, they will always output the PCM based on your settings regardless of the hardware. They are more direct compare to iTunes.

Another thing I have notices is that, for MAC, driver is not needed for the HDVD800 DAC. This means MAC OS is using the standard MAC audio decoder to decode the music into PCM. I have very limit knowledge of suck codec and have no idea what are the limitations regarding to the maximum bitrate. For most of iTune stuffs I have used, once the hardware limitation has been detected, the software will automatically lower the sample to make the file playable. I use to plug in some 24/96 dacs into the system and try to play some 24/192 files on it. It seems to be automatically down sampled to 24/96 to make it playable.

For me, I think the HDVD800 DAC have some very serious limitations on the digital input side. It is the first balance DAC I saw that  the optical input has lower sample rate than the USB . It is also the first DAC I used that required a driver but GUI to at least feedback the basic operation information of the DAC. I emailed Sennheiser about my issues, and they still have not got back with any valid information yet. So, as for now, I will leave to those guys that has more information on the DACs.

P.S.
It might also be an issue with the USB controller of my mother board, but I think that will be the last thing I will be look into since my other 32/384 external DAC has no issues on the same usb port.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #945 of 3,016
Well I've had my HDVD800 for over a month now and have no 'buyer's regret' and I'd go as far as to say I'm pleased with the purchase. Sound is just phenomenal with my HD800's. Running Audioirvana on my MBPR with ALAC /  FLAC Files is giving incredible sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back