Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Oct 6, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #2,341 of 3,016
What matters in the end is the result the components produce when working together. With the Essence One Muses Edition I experimented with different combinations of opamps. Higher end opamps sometimes provided a more transparent sound, but could tilt the overall balance in a way that made it unpleasant to listen to. Using a combination of high end and lesser parts delivered an overall sound that hit the right balance where music was produced with the correct balance of impact and fidelity.

I agree that it’s more reassuring to open the box and only see high end parts used. But it’s not certain that’s the best approach in every situation. You’ll have to trust the designer considered the options and made the right choice. I wish Sennheiser were more forthcoming about info on the amp. But that feels typical of a big corporation. Nobody can talk unless it goes through the PR department. For what it’s worth I had the HDVD 800 home at the same time as the SPL Auditor and Violectric V200, and using the same dac the HDVD 800 amp was clearly the best, even single ended. I haven’t had the opportunity to listen to other high end amps like the Taurus or V281. There’s no lack of great alternatives at this price point now.

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #2,342 of 3,016
What matters in the end is the result the components produce when working together. With the Essence One Muses Edition I experimented with different combinations of opamps. Higher end opamps sometimes provided a more transparent sound, but could tilt the overall balance in a way that made it unpleasant to listen to. Using a combination of high end and lesser parts delivered an overall sound that hit the right balance where music was produced with the correct balance of impact and fidelity.

I agree that it’s more reassuring to open the box and only see high end parts used. But it’s not certain that’s the best approach in every situation. You’ll have to trust the designer considered the options and made the right choice. I wish Sennheiser were more forthcoming about info on the amp. But that feels typical of a big corporation. Nobody can talk unless it goes through the PR department. For what it’s worth I had the HDVD 800 home at the same time as the SPL Auditor and Violectric V200, and using the same dac the HDVD 800 amp was clearly the best, even single ended. I haven’t had the opportunity to listen to other high end amps like the Taurus or V281. There’s no lack of great alternatives at this price point now.

Thank you for sharing your experience! When I bought the senn I've considered buying the v200 instead, but I needed something that could work with every voltage without using any bulky voltage regulator, or opening the amp, and apparently it's a feature pretty difficult to find that the hdva600 has. Now I'm curious as well about the new v281, I'v recently bought the lcd2 and they could benefit more the Violectric low impedance output instead the sennheiser high one, but if you liked the hdvd800 compared to the v200, I'd say I could wait a little longer before changing my setup.

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #2,343 of 3,016
Imp is not as important with headphones is it is with iems. The cross over has a much more dramatic effect .
Al

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #2,344 of 3,016
  Looking forward to a complete review.  Sennheiser has set everyone's expectations pretty high, so will be good for hands-on impression of the pairing with HD800s, HD650s and other headphones.

I agree.  +1
BTW, cool avatar Uncle Al...

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2,345 of 3,016

I have both the HD 800 and the HDVD 800, though I am still awaiting the construction of a balanced cable to replace the stock Sennheiser single-ended cable that comes with the HD 800.

I have VERY little to compare to, so it is hard / impossible for me to compare this combination to other amps for the HD 800.

That said, the sound of the pair is excellent.  One hears concerns that the HD 800 can have sibilant or shouty trebles, particularly on less-than-great recordings.  I have not observed that at all.

Others worry that the HD 800 is rather weak in the bass, at least compared to something like the Audeze LCD2, 2.2, 3, X, ...  I have found the HD-HDVD 800 pairing to be ACCURATE in bass representation, presenting a natural source such as an orchestra with the same amount of bass you would expect in a live concert.  It is of course hard to comment on amplified sources, as their bass level seems to depend upon the tastes of the engineer with that particular knob in his hand.

I have tried the HDVD 800 on the HD 650 as well.  More importantly, the owner of the HD 650 has tried it  (better, because he can compare it to whatever he is accustomed to driving his HD 650 with).  Again, the results are superb.  He reports great satisfaction with it.

I have also tried the HDVD 800 on various Grado headphones.  Since their input impedance is so much lower (32 ohms) than the nominal input impedance of the HD 800 for which the HDVD 800 was designed (300 ohms), this could be an issue.

It is not.  Sounds good to me.  But more importantly, the HDVD 800, despite its 43 ohm (or thereabouts) output impedance, as heard by a person more experienced in listening than me (for example, he found flaws in my beloved Grados!!), sounded very good and better than the Sony PHA-1, which is a portable DAC/amp that directly decodes the iPod connector digital stream (no small feat... it is not the same as USB!).

Sound will only get better when my balanced cable becomes part of the signal chain, but I can state so far not only complete satisfaction but pure delight in the combination.  The ONLY time I have heard it fall the tiniest bit short of something else is when I played the rock version of Carmina Burana by Ray Manzarek.  Grados, known for their excellence with rock guitar, actually give a better sound for this piece (in my opinion, of course) - more transparent, more "you are there."  This excellence of the Grados on this piece persists whether you run them through the HDVD 800, the Sony PHA-1, or direct from the iPod headphone output.

Great information / impressions.  Thank you.

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #2,346 of 3,016
are these mini reviews of the amp only or the combo ? As the hdvd800 is a combo dac amp ?
Al

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,348 of 3,016
  Hey.. Thanks, RCBinTN... am a great fan of "UP", too.
How do you like your Audeze LCD-X headphones?  I noticed those on Moon Audio, and they have a great reputation.. LMK

Totally love 'em.  Great cans for all types of music, IMO.  But, they are open so I recently acquired the closed XC.  Both these HP's are exceptional.  Now, I'm looking for a great DAC/amp combo to drive them.  There are many opinions among the threads, and depends on the music, too.  The HDVD 800 and HDVA 600 are on my list as possibilities. 

Cheers -
Dick Bailey

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #2,349 of 3,016
Are you looking for a tube or SS amp DAC?  Looks like you're leaning solid state?  The HDVD 800 would be good, and have been keeping up with thread there.  I'm using two portable SS DACs currently PD MX6 and PD MX4.  These use quality Wolfson chips, but at upwards of $600, MX6 is nowhere near the class of DACs for the Audeze LCD-X.

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #2,350 of 3,016
  Are you looking for a tube or SS amp DAC?  Looks like you're leaning solid state?  The HDVD 800 would be good, and have been keeping up with thread there.  I'm using two portable SS DACs currently PD MX6 and PD MX4.  These use quality Wolfson chips, but at upwards of $600, MX6 is nowhere near the class of DACs for the Audeze LCD-X.

Right, I'm leaning SS.  I don't know anything about tube amps, and they seem complicated :).  I've heard that SS amps drive planar magnetic HP's well.  On my list so far are the Taurus MK2, Bryston BHA-1 and HDVA 600 / HDVD 800.  My current stack is the Schiit Audio B/A2 that sound okay with the LCD-X, but I would like to explore balanced performance and ability to drive 2-sets of HP at the same time...

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #2,351 of 3,016
Tubes add a sound that is pleading to some. But if you wish to use a hyper deatiled headphone like the hd800. I would go with a SS amp. I have a tricked out wa 5 and some really cool tubes . As it sounds great with most headphones and the he6 as one of them the hd800 felt a little grainy. But keep in mind with headphones like the audeeze line that level of detail is not to be heard. Lastly tubes are complicated only if you wish to roll tubes. Most amps come with good tubes or upgrades are offered from them. Lastly I use the hdvd800 as amp only and as a reference setup. I have tried about 15 amps from tubes to SS. And in the end its a great bang for the buck. Also there is no improvment of bal over se unless the topology of them amp is better that way. An example of topology is the woo wa 22. It si much better when fed balanced and used as such. The hdvd 800 does not seem to be like this. .
Al

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #2,352 of 3,016
Thanks for your help, Al.

At this point, I am leaning toward a decent DAC feeding the HDVA 600.  Like the idea of a Sennheiser-quality amp; it seems like most folks are satisfied with the amp's performance.  Right now, I'm driving only Audez'e cans but may look to add the HD 800 in the future.  The HDVA 600 seems like a good match with the HD 800.

Cheers,
Dick

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #2,353 of 3,016
  Thanks for your help, Al.

At this point, I am leaning toward a decent DAC feeding the HDVA 600.  Like the idea of a Sennheiser-quality amp; it seems like most folks are satisfied with the amp's performance.  Right now, I'm driving only Audez'e cans but may look to add the HD 800 in the future.  The HDVA 600 seems like a good match with the HD 800.

Cheers,
Dick

Hey RCBinTN... Sounds like a plan.  The HD800 is hyper detailed, kinda like like the HD600 on steroids
bigsmile_face.gif

Like many head-fiers, I have this mega wish list, which includes HD800, DT990 headphones and possibly two more amps, SS and tube amp.  This passion kind of erodes your wallet, but the satisfaction is worth the trip
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2,354 of 3,016
I read some posts in this thread of people comparing the Chord Hugo to the HDVD 800 with the HD800 headphones. 

Has anyone else tried this? Any further verdicts?

I'm considering ordering online a HDVD 800 to compare to my Hugo (and try it with the DAC of the Hugo into the HDVD 800), or try the HDVA 600 with the Hugo. 

Any thoughts here? 

Also, what about the balanced cable? Any good with the aforementioned?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back