Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #976 of 6,504
Because Head-fi :grinning:

Amps that are designed to be used in balanced mode are almost always going to sound different, usually worse, in single-ended mode. It has nothing to do with that they are balanced vs. all amps out there that aren't, but because the amp is designed to be used with the balanced output. By using a balanced amp from the single-ended output, you're not using half the circuit. It would not be unlike if I removed half the circuit in my non-balanced amp then had a listen -- it would likely sound worse too. You could build a balanced CMOY for your HD800s (or the HD800S) if you wanted (it has been done) and I don't think it would sound any better than much other than a regular CMOY. 

When an amp designer makes an amp, a balanced circuit is just one of many design choices, alongside whether to use negative feedback, tubes, a hybrid circuit or any other such thing. The reason that balanced designs get a lot of attention, secondly only to tube amps, is because we have to use a different cable with our headphones, in this case, Sennheiser are offering their own cable, which I don't know to be any different to the regular cable than the different plug on the end.

This is not necessarily true. A well designed single ended amplifier will still benefit from being made balanced if it is well designed.

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #977 of 6,504
This is not necessarily true. A well designed single ended amplifier will still benefit from being made balanced if it is well designed.

I do not see how this is true. A single ended amplifier with a balanced output plug is simply taking the L and R outputs and connecting the shared ground to both ground pins of the XLR output. Absolutely no difference with SE output, just plug change.

However, an amplifier designed around a balanced design will certainly sound different and better in balanced mode vs. the summed SE output.

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #978 of 6,504

I have no balanced option for my Teton. As I said before it and the Pinnacle are SE ONLY. Nor is there a balanced amp that can compete with it, at least with hd800's, I would also say Lcd-x as well but that is a bit debatable. I do agree with you that most amps with balanced and SE options sound better with balanced. Why I thought the schiit mojo was a very "smart" amp to make, being balanced only. 

Wow, Subjective has flown straight out the window.....  The Teton is a great amp for sure, and maybe for you it is the best fit. However you can't say this is true for everyone.  The HD800 sounds fabulous on a lot amps, it's a matter of personal taste.

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #979 of 6,504
  Wow, Subjective has flown straight out the window.....  The Teton is a great amp for sure, and maybe for you it is the best fit. However you can't say this is true for everyone.  The HD800 sounds fabulous on a lot amps, it's a matter of personal taste.

While this is usually true, you can refer to InnerFidelity's Big Sound 2015 to see how the Teton was the preferred amp (alongside the Black Widow) for the HD800, in the presence of some of the best amps out there.

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #980 of 6,504
I do not see how this is true. A single ended amplifier with a balanced output plug is simply taking the L and R outputs and connecting the shared ground to both ground pins of the XLR output. Absolutely no difference with SE output, just plug change.

However, an amplifier designed around a balanced design will certainly sound different and better in balanced mode vs. the summed SE output.

That is not what I meant. Take a well designed single ended amplifier, and double the number of amplifiers and make it balanced, and it will benefit from this configuration.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #981 of 6,504

While this is usually true, you can refer to InnerFidelity's Big Sound 2015 to see how the Teton was the preferred amp (alongside the Black Widow) for the HD800, in the presence of some of the best amps out there.

I'm sure it's a great amp, but you still cannot say it is the Pinnacle for everyone...

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #982 of 6,504
That is not what I meant. Take a well designed single ended amplifier, and double the number of amplifiers and make it balanced, and it will benefit from this configuration.

Alright, my misunderstanding. What you say is true. Doubling of a well designed SE amplifier, as long as the matching is near perfect, will result in better sound. And a lot of balanced amps are designed like that. Not all, but a significant number.

I'm sure it's a great amp, but you still cannot say it is the Pinnacle for everyone...

I see what you did there
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #983 of 6,504
Rather than discuss amps in such an over-simplified way, I think it's best we get back to discussing the HD800S. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #984 of 6,504
  Rather than discuss amps in such an over-simplified way, I think it's best we get back to discussing the HD800S. 

Agreed.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #986 of 6,504
In Germany dealers are saying 1599 euro, available in December.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #987 of 6,504
I'm looking for an amp right now that will take the 'veil' off the hd800S.

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #990 of 6,504
  I think there is going to be a new mod where you can take out the foam absorber ring and which removes any veiling...............  

LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back