Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 25, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #421 of 6,504
Whilst the HD800 may require a bit more thought than other headphones to achieve system synergy, a lot of impressions are with what can only be considered to be poor gear. Yes absolutely nothing replaces demoing. With Sennheiser's worldwide dealer network it should be fairly easy to compare the HD800 and HD800S in time. Despite being a HD600 owner, I honestly do not see the real logic in you adding the HD650 to your forum signature and have 3x mid-fi headphones. Seen it all before. Hoarding headphones like this costs the same as a single TOTL :wink:

I've already got two energetic cans, I need something to listen to when I'm doing homework so I don't get pulled into the music as much! Although, the 650 might cause me to fall asleep more often instead of focussing... And stop lecturing me, having multiple not-$1000 cans makes me feel like I'm being economical! 

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #422 of 6,504
No lecture necessary. I think we understand.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #423 of 6,504
  True. And on the right amp, the bass is truly surprising for most. The problem is finding THE amp for the 800 which can be more than a little picky about amping. Hopefully the 800s will be a little more friendly towards amping. 

Exactly! It was a massive fail driven straight from my DAP. Needs good amping... have you found THE amp yet?

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #424 of 6,504
At high frequencies, the only part of the driver contributing to the SPL is the centre of the driver or dome. By blocking a larger part of it (i.e. making the diameter of the opening smaller) they are dampening the excessive high frequencies of this acoustical architecture. This is nothing new really. The grill in front of the driver is one of the only elements you have for shaping the high frequency response in headphones. The level and smoothness are controlled by diaphragm + VC weight for the former and diaphragm composition and stiffness for the later.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #428 of 6,504
For the felt mod, it turns out sennheiser felt this was kind of ruining their efforts to make a resolving transducers with too much attenuation of the highs and also affecting staging because of the dissymetric absorption in the earcup.

This tells me Sennheiser absolutely know what they're doing with the HD 800S. I've tried the HD 800 with and without felt mods several times, and it definitely affects staging. The tonal balance might have become more pleasant when the treble was attenuated, but the sound flattened, as you lost some sense of space that the standard HD 800 gives you.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #429 of 6,504
confused_face.gif
mmmm......several days already but still no official announcement of the retail price???? I'm getting antsy. No leaks on pricing yet to those who have been able to audition this in Tokyo?????? Come on, Senn. Why are you INTENTIONALLY delaying the release of this crucial piece of info????

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #430 of 6,504
  They're not blocking part of the diaphragm.  The HD800 diaphragm is a large ring, and the resonator looks to be a tube that goes through the hole in the center of the ring.

Ah yes, you are absolutely correct. I failed to remember this somewhat crucial point. I see myself out..  :D

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #431 of 6,504

Cropped, rotated, etc.

HD800s driver (Jude's photo)

HD800 driver (dyanex's photo)

Check out the extra washer-shaped fabric part, suspended over the center of the new HD800s driver.

Very interesting.  The good thing about a solution from Sennheiser is that they are the best people to understand exactly what is causing the 6k peak and how best to remedy it with minimal impact on the performance.  If a felt ring outside of the driver was the best solution I assume they would have gone with that.

Now we know the minimal impact of production costs, hopefully pricing will reflect this.  

Strange thing is when HD 800 was first introduced it set a new record price for dynamic headphone, then IIRC they raised the MSRP a while after launch presumably reflecting the reception of reviewers, sales etc.  Now that the high end planar market has gone crazy HD 800 is a relative bargain.  It would be a shame to see this level of performance/price disappear (*Cough HE-6 discontinuation Cough*), as this (HD 800) price is about the limit of what I am willing to spend on a headphone.  

OTOH price up some HD 800 earpads.  Mine need replacing but I can't bring myself to spend that much on earpads...  You know its a high end product when even the spares have a premium LOL...

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #433 of 6,504
dang that sucks for anyone who got theirs Colorware'd  black.

Not really, think of the A/B testing ability! Which one is the 800 which is the 800S?

Also, I'm not convinced of Sennheiser's paint quality based on the silver models. My Colorware 800 is 3 1/2 years old with not a flake missing.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #434 of 6,504

dang that sucks for anyone who got theirs Colorware'd  black.

Not really, think of the A/B testing ability! Which one is the 800 which is the 800S?

Also, I'm not convinced of Sennheiser's paint quality based on the silver models. My Colorware 800 is 3 1/2 years old with not a flake missing.

true and true!

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #435 of 6,504
A couple of photos showing the inside of the earcup of the Sennheiser HD800S have been added to this thread's first post, and also included below (click photos to see larger versions):

They look very similar to me. The center circle in the middle of the driver *may* be a little smaller? Hard to tell...

Cropped, rotated, etc.

HD800s driver (Jude's photo)

HD800 driver (dyanex's photo)

Check out the extra washer-shaped fabric part, suspended over the center of the new HD800s driver.

Thanks for the pic, interesting no one has tried this before because there is no driver diaphram in middle..
I will try in mine..

Regardless, the vanilla stock HD800 have a transparency I feel unrivaled by any HiFiman offerings, or any planar.
Only the stax009 can surpass this in my book..

The problem though, has always been the airy bass that is almost ghost like, lacking in some substance and weight, compared to a planar...
Only a great matching amp will elevate the HD800 to how it should perform,
And even then, planars has more flesh & "meat on the bones" of instruments..

So any improvement in like was said, in the bass, is a big plus
Still think it should have been painted in gold.
:p
Edit:
Wish they had an 800L:
(Leather version earcups)
That would been sweet & probably would help bass as well..
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back