Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 25, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #406 of 6,504
Well I hope there's more to it other than the addition of that tube-shaped dampener, perhaps a tweaked driver or something.
If not then... should we just buy that new part and install it to the vanilla HD800 ourselves
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #407 of 6,504
  Well I hope there's more to it other than the addition of that tube-shaped dampener, perhaps a tweaked driver or something.
If not then... should we just buy that new part and install it to the vanilla HD800 ourselves
tongue.gif

Unfortunately, the new part seems to be installed inside the enclosure of the HD800S driver, below the protective mesh. It's a new driver part number. Other than that, and the new colour, and the addition of the balanced cable, no other changes, and Axel himself said that it is an extension of the line, much like the HD650 was, and not a successor. And he also said "it sounds a little better". In this world of Head-Fi hyperbole for every 3-4K new device or headphones, honesty from a genius headphones designer is a breath of fresh air.

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #408 of 6,504
Ah, so it seems that hollow tube is now an integral part of the driver eh?
Wonder if somehow we could emulate that to the vanilla 800 when the property (dimension, material) of the 800S' 'tube' is then known to the community. But if it does, it will be involving a thorough invasive surgery of the driver of course, certainly way above the casual level of modding. *scary!*

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #409 of 6,504
So I just bought a draug 2 cable for my HD800 - single ended. I presume I can still use it with the HD800s? The cable I presume doesn't have to be balanced/ ?

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #410 of 6,504
  Ah, so it seems that hollow tube is now an integral part of the driver eh?
Wonder if somehow we could emulate that to the vanilla 800 when the property (dimension, material) of the 800S' 'tube' is then known to the community. But if it does, it will be involving a thorough invasive surgery of the driver of course, certainly way above the casual level of modding. *scary!*

Most people already have issues doing the simple Anax mod and derivatives to their 1.5K pair of headphones. Imagine if they were asked to cut up the protective mesh of the driver and install something INSIDE XD

And the absorber/resonator needs VERY precise dimensions and material type, something Sennheiser I am sure has extensively researched. Not something easily replicated by mods.
  So I just bought a draug 2 cable for my HD800 - single ended. I presume I can still use it with the HD800s? The cable I presume doesn't have to be balanced/ ?

Of course. The connectors on the headphones cups are the same. Your cable will work perfectly fine.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #413 of 6,504
Jude, any way to request Sennheiser change the model to something... anything else than HD800S?

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #414 of 6,504
From a performance point of view I think that the "old" hd800 beats HE1k at half the price. Ah, I also liked he6 more than the new flagship. I hope that they don't want to compete with HE1k just from a price point of view. If one has an unreasonable price, it shouldn't be taken as example by others.

This is a reason why there is room for different manufacturers and tons of different headphones...i think the HEK is the best headphone i have ever heard and i have the HD800,the ETHER and have heard own the LCD-3F and the PM-1 and the Primes.....I am a big fan of the HD800 but IMHO the HEK simply does everything well and combines the best aspects of all of the listed cans

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #415 of 6,504
A couple of photos showing the inside of the earcup of the Sennheiser HD800S have been added to this thread's first post, and also included below (click photos to see larger versions):

They look very similar to me. The center circle in the middle of the driver *may* be a little smaller? Hard to tell...

Cropped, rotated, etc.

HD800s driver (Jude's photo)

HD800 driver (dyanex's photo)

Check out the extra washer-shaped fabric part, suspended over the center of the new HD800s driver.

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #418 of 6,504
With the way the acoustical absorber is implemented it seems unlikely that the HD-800 can be easily upgraded to the HD-800S spec.

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #419 of 6,504
I know I should listen to it before I form impressions, but I've read a lot about the HD800 and it's almost unanimous the agreement that it's a pretty aggressive headphone. I'd love to hear em someday, possibly beside its 'S' companion before I decide whether or not I want it. Other than a few nitpicky views, everything else about the HD800 seems positive, and that's very appealing. But I still have to judge whether or not I actually 'need' another headphone after I get the HD650. Sure, I'd LIKE something closed back, and maybe a CIEM someday, but after the HE-500, it's really all down to taste now. I'm hoping that I can afford the luxury of having a slew of impressive cans to enjoy my music with, but anything above $650 is going to have to pass a lot of tests in order for me to justify spending it. That, and I really don't want to spend any more money on a single component than what the Gumby will cost. And now I'm blabbing, so I'll go back to the 800S.

I think this can will be a good deal for Sennheiser regardless of its price because it offers the luxury of personal choice in listening taste. If it takes everything the HD800 is good at like imaging, soundstage, clarity, and tones down its more aggressive nature to make it a more relaxing can, then anyone can have one of the best headphones ever made in one (or both!) of the 800 model leanings. I like the idea.

Whilst the HD800 may require a bit more thought than other headphones to achieve system synergy, a lot of impressions are with what can only be considered to be poor gear. Yes absolutely nothing replaces demoing. With Sennheiser's worldwide dealer network it should be fairly easy to compare the HD800 and HD800S in time. Despite being a HD600 owner, I honestly do not see the real logic in you adding the HD650 to your forum signature and have 3x mid-fi headphones. Seen it all before. Hoarding headphones like this costs the same as a single TOTL :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back