Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Mar 28, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #3,991 of 6,514
Guess many have already read Tyll's review of the LCD 4 which made many comparisons with the HD800S. Dunno about u guys but I feel pretty damn good I chose the HD800S.

Here's the link for those who haven't read it:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/technologically-impressive-lcd-4-planar-magnetic-headphone#PFTK1T0fkDgQPZhu.97

Sounds like a positive review of the HD800S than the LCD4.

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #3,992 of 6,514
Guess many have already read Tyll's review of the LCD 4 which made many comparisons with the HD800S. Dunno about u guys but I feel pretty damn good I chose the HD800S.

Here's the link for those who haven't read it:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/technologically-impressive-lcd-4-planar-magnetic-headphone#PFTK1T0fkDgQPZhu.97

Sounds like a positive review of the HD800S than the LCD4.

Interesting stuff, 800S hanging with the big boys.

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #3,993 of 6,514
Interesting stuff, 800S hanging with the big boys.

Thank you for the link, and here are the summed up impressions: Quoted from Tyll and the provided link

Without EQ though, to my ears the HiFiMAN HE1000—while having its own unusual soft and gentle sonic presentation and measurements with more obviously weird artifacts—ended up a more musical listening experience. The new Sennheiser HD 800 S was both cleaner and more musically satisfying by a clear margin to my ears.

Couple the above treble troubles with the $4000 price tag and the LCD-4 becomes a hard headphone for me to recommend. If you're a big fan of the Audeze sound you may become quite taken by the improvements to this headphone—which are very real compared to previous models. But if you can only afford one end-game headphone, stay away. If you've got a **** load of money and love and collect headphones, have at it. It'll be going to people doing great engineering work.

Boy, it pains me to write this review, I do so admire the work done by the folks at Audeze. Fortunately, they also sent me the new SINE in the process of moving gear around for this review. The good news? Yes, the SINE might fare much better in a future InnerFidelity review. Lots of learning and technological development for the LCD-4 ended up in the SINE, and it, so far, seems to have come together in decent and price-realistic fashion.

Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/technologically-impressive-lcd-4-planar-magnetic-headphone-page-2#kgpXCbuljBsQiv25.99

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #3,994 of 6,514
The 800S is a "big boy", it's simply priced at what high-end cans should cost, instead of 2-3x over. I look at `phones like the LCD-4, Abyss, and HEK and shake my head. The exception is the SR-009, with current exchange rates it's about spot-on @$3000. Is the HEK as good for the same $$ as the Stax? No. Is the LCD-4 and Abyss as good for $1000 and $1500 more? Not even close. (IMO, none of the 3 are as good as the 800S.)

Point? People need to stop buying those overpriced high-end headphones, they're only encouraging more of the same.

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #3,995 of 6,514
The 800S is a "big boy", it's simply priced at what high-end cans should cost, instead of 2-3x over. I look at `phones like the LCD-4, Abyss, and HEK and shake my head. The exception is the SR-009, with current exchange rates it's about spot-on @$3000. Is the HEK as good for the same $$ as the Stax? No. Is the LCD-4 and Abyss as good for $1000 and $1500 more? Not even close. (IMO, none of the 3 are as good as the 800S.)

Point? People need to stop buying those overpriced high-end headphones, they're only encouraging more of the same.

I have to agree. I was listening to all these high-end headphones and I was shocked. The Sennheiser HD 800 S is a real bargain. Yet there have been people in this thread complaining about the price of the HD 800 S 
blink.gif

I'm going to listen to the SR-009 soon hopefully. I'm going to bring my HD 800 S along and see how it compares. Probably the SR-009 will beat it though, but I'm curious to hear how much. :p

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #3,996 of 6,514

I'm not sure why the price those manufacturers charge matters. We all have the choice to buy or not buy. They have the choice to set whatever price they want. If someone has the money and wants a $3 or 4 thousand headphone, should he or she really decline to buy it in order to discourage the manufacturer from charging the high price. In the end, the marketplace will decide whether the prices are at the right level.

My complaint with the 800S is that I've had one on order for 3 weeks and still no indication of when it will be available. Maybe Sennheiser isn't charging enough and can't keep up with the demand.

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #3,997 of 6,514
Is pricing simply what people can afford,will pay etc., and up to each individual to make their own choice. I am sure many people,with apple ear buds,think £100 is a silly price for phones. I don't think anyone is daft/stupid spending $5000 or more on headphones,thats their choice. Who am i to judge?.

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #3,998 of 6,514
I'm not sure why the price those manufacturers charge matters. We all have the choice to buy or not buy. They have the choice to set whatever price they want. If someone has the money and wants a $3 or 4 thousand headphone, should he or she really decline to buy it in order to discourage the manufacturer from charging the high price. In the end, the marketplace will decide whether the prices are at the right level.

Umm. That's what I'm saying, people need to decline. Those aren't $3-5k headphones, and much like Tyll is doing by stripping certain high-end cans off the WoF, because they don't deserve to be there, it's time for head-fi enthusiasts (aka. "The Marketplace") to say "this has gotten out of hand".

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #3,999 of 6,514
When I got my LCD3 it was pretty much big league. From there there's a gap before the money no issue league like the abyss. Now that gap is no more with the likes of HE1k and LCD4. Manufacturers are watching and filling them holes. Who knows one day the Orpheus might just be another high end cans. Haha.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #4,000 of 6,514
I'll also add that when I bought my HE1k, the HD800S was not yet released. When I heard HE1k, it was the most enjoyable headphone experience I had up to that point.

Today, with HD800S, it's a wash - meaning, I'm not listening for the tiny, micro-detailed differences between the two (and for which I have read the experienced audio enthusiast simply cannot part with HD800S due to these nuances of detail). I simply find the HD800S equally enjoyable. And had the HD800S existed, I would not have bought HE1k.

I still hope Tyll does't take HE1k from the wall 
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #4,001 of 6,514

While I agree with your point that Senn are showing the way for the pricing of TOTL cans, I have to ask - why is it the SR-009, and STAX generally, always get a free ride in these discussions about the pricing of headphones while Audeze and HiFiMan (for example) get a hard time? Here in the UK, the SR-009 retails for about 3.2K GBP (which is about $4.5K at the current rate of exchange). Add in the cost of an electrostat amp for around the same price and you're looking at a total package of $9K. Now I've demoed the SR-009 on several occasions and while it is very good, it's not 3x better than the HD 800 S - at least not to my ears. I'm not sure I'd even say it was better overall. It may do certain things slightly better, but then the S trumps it in some areas too.

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #4,002 of 6,514

As someone who bought the Abyss 3 weeks ago and is buying the HD800S this Friday I have to say that (to me) the Stax 009 and Abyss play at a different level to the HD800S but are by no means 3.5X better.

One thing that remains untouched with the HD800/S after all these years, is the instrument separation which is simply remarkable. That of course doesn't mean without that you still wouldn't pick the 800/S over all of the other offerings.

Bloodborne and Battlefield 5 are gonna sound incredible this year :wink:

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #4,005 of 6,514

As someone who bought the Abyss 3 weeks ago and is buying the HD800S this Friday I have to say that (to me) the Stax 009 and Abyss play at a different level to the HD800S but are by no means 3.5X better.

One thing that remains untouched with the HD800/S after all these years, is the instrument separation which is simply remarkable. That of course doesn't mean without that you still wouldn't pick the 800/S over all of the other offerings.

Bloodborne and Battlefield 5 are gonna sound incredible this year :wink:

You got these cans for gaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back