Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 24, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #181 of 6,504
BTW Ya'll Black is Schwarz in German, so 800S, may be 800Schwarz or Black.

It wouldn't be priced at a significant premium, probably made on the same equipment, so no large costs sunk into manufacturing. Tweaking and using their engineering prowess in development, but those are almost fixed costs, so anything above a $300 to $500 premium would be pushing the envelope.

Totally agree.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #182 of 6,504

It wouldn't be priced at a significant premium, probably made on the same equipment, so no large costs sunk into manufacturing. Tweaking and using their engineering prowess in development, but those are almost fixed costs, so anything above a $300 to $500 premium would be pushing the envelope.

They've spent 6 years of exhaustive research and poured millions into the new damping scheme though, so we're going to see at least a 4,000 dollar asking price for this one.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #183 of 6,504
mmm......if that is true, can we expect the HD 900 or HD xxx to be priced at 5K? I still think that the price will not be too far from the current HD800 pricing, certainly not more than double. It is a re-tuned HD 800, not a new headphone. Where is the value added?

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #184 of 6,504

They've spent 6 years of exhaustive research and poured millions into the new damping scheme though, so we're going to see at least a 4,000 dollar asking price for this one.

Is this the Audeze/Hifiman thread?

I think I'll finally get an older set of hd800's finally. Or if the MSRP of the HD800 drops then all the better.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #186 of 6,504

True, but i doubt it is because of the colour. The current HD800 came in different colours already, black included and even in gold...

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #187 of 6,504
True, but i doubt it is because of the colour. The current HD800 came in different colours already, black included and even in gold...

Not exactly, you could get a Colorware Aftermarket version in different colors, from Sennheiser it's silver and black only.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #189 of 6,504
Waiting for the MSRP 
redface.gif

Ali

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #193 of 6,504
From the looks of it they improved everything I hated about the HD 800 i.e. the harsh highs and not quite enough low-end. These look like a definite buy for me.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #194 of 6,504
  Really, looking forward to see what they've done. 

Just found that recent quote of yours:

"I'm pretty sure they're aware of the mods. Their problem is that they have to build headphones that they can warranty for years. The felt in the ear cup will be exposed to sweat and humidity they may cause it to degrade over time, or maybe start smelling. Sennheiser, quite understandably, probably doesn't want to deal with those kinds of issues.  
None the less, I do mention this mod whenever I talk about the HD 800, mainly for the reader, but I am quite aware of my words potentially reaching the era of Sennheiser engineers in hopes of influencing them to continue to work hard solving issues like this. Wouldn't it be cool to see Sennheiser come out with their own mod for the HD 800!? Never happen, but fun to think about."

Hehe.

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #195 of 6,504
I had the chance to talk a bit (and listen a lot) to Axel, and to some of the Japanese distributors.  The Japanese distributors are hoping for a December release.  According to them MSRP hasn't been set (or sent to them) yet, but they will be more expensive.  BUT, they're hoping for only a couple hundred in difference.  Which fits with the $2k USD mark that a couple folks have been repeating.  The headphones are in production already, although the model Axel brought is the final pre-production prototype.

Quote:
  Is the HDVD800 also retuned or just a different color?

It isn't "retuned" - the analog stage is identical to the current model.  However, some changes were made to the pcb for the "efficiency."  IIRC, they found a new (better) boardhouse and changed a few components for higher quality ones.  This one will not be a new product as of now - it has the same sound as the "old" model. 

^^Great pics! Can you post impressions? 

Senn had a table with the 800s and 800 side by side, running out of the black amp.  BUT, they controlled the source.  It was the same track on loop - guitar and female vocals - little to no bass.  (And unfortunately down the hall were a couple really nice 2 channel shelf setups - and we all know the amount of isolation the 800 gives...)  The sibilance is greatly reduced.  To be fair, I haven't heard the Anax mod 800 - but compared to the stock ones from the same source, they were definitely easier (i.e less fatiguing) to listen to. 

The soundstage is (OK, here's where my writing skills fail) easier to sink into.  The 800 has a great soundstage, but some of the treble issues seem to interfere - and without those nasty hisses, the 800s soundstage is immediate?  By which I mean I didn't have to concentrate on positioning and separation nearly as much with the 800s.  It's the same super-awesome soundstage of the 800, but doesn't need a nice quiet space to critically sink into.

According to Axel, the bass extension is much better as well - unfortunately not something I could tell with their test track.  I would have loved to sit and listen to them more, but there was a fairly constant line and the distro/Senn reps seemed to want to move everybody that didn't have a press tag on through pretty quickly.

Strictly speaking, they're not a headphone I'd buy.  At least not without heading over to nice quiet shop (a la Bic/Yodobashi/e-earphone/Fujiya Avic) and giving them a working over with my own tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back