Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 24, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #166 of 6,504

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #167 of 6,504
  I refuse to get excited until pricing is announced.  I don't want another LCD-4 let down....

I am already very much excited...I just hope the pricing does not unexcite me 
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #168 of 6,504
Oct 24, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #169 of 6,504
I didn't like any HD800 mod I have tried until now. While some helped with the sibilance and tonality, I found that they took away from transparency/clarity but also from transients / tactility. The best "mod" I have tried was also the easiest and completely free one. I am talking about removing the dust covers.

It helped a great deal in increasing the level of details, transparency but also transients/tactility. I also think that the sibilance is less annoying. If I add the dust covers the sss is sharper.

And on these notes, I hope sennheiser didn't just add more dampening, and if they did I hope they didn't affect the other qualities I've described above.

So I am addressing the people that listened to them to please describe if they have heard any losses in details/transparency and transients sections.

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #170 of 6,504
I expect it will cost more than 500 euros above the HD800, because there is a 4 pin XLR cable included (which is very expensive, cost almost as much as an HD600), plus the black paint job and the acoustical absorbers...

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #171 of 6,504
  I didn't like any HD800 mod I have tried until now. While some helped with the sibilance and tonality, I found that they took away from transparency/clarity but also from transients / tactility. The best "mod" I have tried was also the easiest and completely free one. I am talking about removing the dust covers.

It helped a great deal in increasing the level of details, transparency but also transients/tactility. I also think that the sibilance is less annoying. If I add the dust covers the sss is sharper.

And on these notes, I hope sennheiser didn't just add more dampening, and if they did I hope they didn't affect the other qualities I've described above.

So I am addressing the people that listened to them to please describe if they have heard any losses in details/transparency and transients sections.

Agreed.

This feels like a factory anax mod to me - a mod that isn't a positive one in my eyes.  

What I do suspect is that they may be a hype-builder for HD900's (or whatever a new flagship will be called), which is a very exciting notion. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #172 of 6,504
Except that 8 cylinders IS always better than 6....

Not even close...

1960 Chevrolet V8-283 produces 170 HP, and max torque of 275 lb ft.
2015 Porsche Turbo S 6-cylinder engine produces 560 HP, and maximum torque of 516 lb ft.
Please tell us again about how 8 cylinders is ALWAYS better than 6.
Look better and sound better which if you enjoy music should appeal ...no?

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #174 of 6,504

The in-house t-shirt mod buys them more R&D time to work on the HD900s:D.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #175 of 6,504
i totally want to hear a review about it, more detail about 800 vs 800s, i hope the Treble won't lose any Air or Sparkle, and for the Bass to go deeper, with hopefully a better punch. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #176 of 6,504
Great news! I aldready adored the design of the HD800 but the color of the HD800S is gorgeous and is probably one my favourite looking headphones I think. I really hope they will smooth out the treble, and not just a tiny bit, so treble sensitive people can finally be able to listen to them. Would love to add them to my collection alongside my HD650. A bit more bass quantity wouldn't be bad either since the stock HD800 need a little of that in my opinion.  It's a bit annoying though that they add a balanced cable in the package instead of just make it seperately. I don't really want to pay for a cable that I'm not gonna use, and I suspect that will add to the price. If Sennheiser is smart they don't become greedy and charge a crazy amount for it like we've seen with many of the other new releases. Should the price end up being more than $2000 I'm gonna have to pass. 

Bass quantity depends on the amping from what a read around.
Don't know about the HD800S, but seems a less expensive version. In analogy of he 400S. I dont think it will pass beyond 1500 dollar.
I think it is good they include balanced cable inside, no need to buy seperatly in case you need one. So you can spare money.
Though i think you will end up getting
the he-x.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #178 of 6,504
  Yay!!!

Can't wait to check these out.

I know you've been waiting for something like this. I saw your comment somewhere that hopefully Sennheiser listens and understands people's main problem with HD800 and implements some kind of "factory mod" sooner or later. So now we're waiting for your first impressions!

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #179 of 6,504
  So now we're waiting for your first impressions!

Me too!

It's going to be very interesting to see what Sennheiser has done to effect the change. I'd be very surprised if it was really all that close to the Anex mod. 

My take is that the resonance problem in the current HD 800 is in the ear-cup geometry. I doubt that's changed much. It seems entirely possible, given the wording so far, that they've suppressed some of the 6kHz output from the driver with an internal damper to reduce excitation of the problem. Putting felt in the ear-cup, like the Anex mod, might make the product degrade over time with sweat and moisture. They've got a top-notch engineering crew there, and have many more options than we have when it comes to modifying the design. 

Really, looking forward to see what they've done. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #180 of 6,504
BTW Ya'll Black is Schwarz in German, so 800S, may be 800Schwarz or Black.

It wouldn't be priced at a significant premium, probably made on the same equipment, so no large costs sunk into manufacturing. Tweaking and using their engineering prowess in development, but those are almost fixed costs, so anything above a $300 to $500 premium would be pushing the envelope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back