Sennheiser HD800S Treble
Jan 1, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #16 of 30
Thanks guys, this is great info. Last night I watched a few videos on the super dupont mod. I will probably get the 800 soon although I just saw a new 800S for 200 euros more. I'll try straight and then EQ with my RME if the hot treble bothers me which I suspect it will. If that is not enough I'll try the SDR mod. I'm thinking the 800 needs a paint job anyway :wink:

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #17 of 30
Wrong lol.. just sold my Clears. Like the 800s better. When paired with a Violectric amp. Treble is perfect.

Which Violectric? I have my eye on the V280 but damn that's expensive...

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 30
Sell it, buy a Focal Clear.

I was about say the same sort of thing. When I was demoing headphones I had narrowed it down to the two I liked the most within my budget. These where the Senn HD800s and the Focal Elear. My impressions at this point was that he 800s had a bigger soundstage, a bit more detail, albeit with a higher treble, while the Elear had a better low end thump and a less harsh treble. I think ultimately it was the less harsh treble and more low end that swung it for me and I bought the Elear.

I think it you are either sensitive to treble or get fatigued with it, and EQ cannot fix the issue, then you may have to consider parting with them.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #20 of 30
Yes I have the 280. They use to have a 200, under$1000. I would think if u researched. There could be a amp, that is less expensive that would meet your needs.

Buying something that meets your needs yet is less expensive is totally contrary to everything I have learned in decades as a music lover :p

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #21 of 30
Which Violectric? I have my eye on the V280 but damn that's expensive...
Yes I have the 280. They use to have a 200 fo
Buying something that meets your needs yet is less expensive is totally contrary to everything I have learned in decades as a music lover :p
yes. Though the audio hobby is tricky because your bang for your buck demises rapidly as you climb the ladder.

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #22 of 30
I tried Sonarworks but I didn't like what it did to the mids and I felt female vocals were off. I then tried Roon with many different EQs but I couldn't get it to the point where the HP kept what I felt made it special while making it non fatiguing. I guess I am just going to sell them and get a warmer HP.

Jan 15, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #23 of 30
I have the 800s (not 800S) and it doesn't seem bright to me at all. I'm surprised to hear the 800S is fatiguing!

Then again maybe that is not what you meant. The title of this thread says 800S which might confuse people who don't get the difference between 800s (plural, meaning pair of 800) and 800S ("S" model).

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #24 of 30
Yeah it sucks for me, my brain loves the headphone but my ears just can't handle it. We are all different I guess and I just happen to be treble sensitive with this HP. I am definitely talking about the HD800 S not the HD800s.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #25 of 30
Thanks for the clarification on which headphone. :)

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #26 of 30
Yeah it sucks for me, my brain loves the headphone but my ears just can't handle it. We are all different I guess and I just happen to be treble sensitive with this HP. I am definitely talking about the HD800 S not the HD800s.
Yes this headphone is not for everyone. For me it’s great to have when you want detailed instrument separation. But having a warmer pair to compliment them is a good thing.

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #27 of 30
I tried Sonarworks but I didn't like what it did to the mids and I felt female vocals were off. I then tried Roon with many different EQs but I couldn't get it to the point where the HP kept what I felt made it special while making it non fatiguing. I guess I am just going to sell them and get a warmer HP.
Same here, same experiences with EQ. I get fatigued after listening to certain genres for awhile. Classical and Jazz are fine right?

We may have similar ears so I would recommend the Focal Clear as alternative or of course the better priced points, Sennheiser HD600 or 650. HD650 is smoother for people sensitive to treble. Used HE500 as well. Avoid the HE560. Hifiman HEX series like Massdrop HEXX or, V2, etc.. should have smooth sig as well, no peaks or sibilience, but IMO too smooth.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #30 of 30
Buy the Massdrop SDAC balanced Dac. Run it balanced, for sure. It accentuates the bass and lower mids, while smoothing out the treble. Pair that with a neutral amp like the Drop THX 789, so you have plenty of power and super low distortion. Now listen to your 800S and you’ll be in audio heaven. Oh, and definitely use your 800S with a balanced XLR (to your 789) and you will enjoy one of the largest soundstages ever created by headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back