Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #8,656 of 8,790
Way better off? lol I’m doing fine but thx
If I were you I would have saved that $2k, sell the TT, use the money to get a better dac and just use the stock xlr cable.

You may think TT is great, but I can tell you Ayre QB-9 Twenty dac is noticeably better and that's better by many other dacs.

To be clear, I am not saying TT is bad, but there are a slew of dacs better than TT. If you tell me you have Rossini with the clock and you have heard MSB select, Emm Labs DV2 and MPD8 and liked Rossini the best then I think $2k cable makes sense - although I would go with a better power conditioner and power cables first.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #8,657 of 8,790
You’re not me, I’m well aware of brands out there. A poster asked me what cable I used, I answered. Think I picked it up 2016….

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #8,658 of 8,790
Sorry, don't mean to pick on you. Just wanted to make a general point that aftermarket headphone cables should be the last thing people spend money on (unless it's for ergonomics or looks)

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #8,659 of 8,790
Yes we know, they will be better off, lol. Go get em tiger

Apr 5, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #8,660 of 8,790
You’re not me, I’m well aware of brands out there. A poster asked me what cable I used, I answered. Think I picked it up 2016….
Dude...they don't understand the term...I do things because I can...
90% of folks calculate all the time; even when they have money and can afford things, there is always calculation...
And there is no freedom in that and fun...I support your way...I can't buy 2k cable and other Hi-Fi...but if I could...I would :ksc75smile:

Cheers!

Apr 5, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #8,661 of 8,790
Dude...they don't understand the term...I do things because I can...
90% of folks calculate all the time; even when they have money and can afford things, there is always calculation...
And there is no freedom in that and fun...I support your way...I can't buy 2k cable and other Hi-Fi...but if I could...I would :ksc75smile:

Cheers!
I’ll qualify I do things that I did. I haven’t done things that I haven’t. No issues with dreaming, but everyone has a place and time, so if I don’t ask for advice for my chain, don’t assume I want any.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #8,665 of 8,790
I've not heard differences between decent balanced cables with the HD800S (the stock cable is excellent). I do, however, much prefer the sound with dust covers removed. It's easy to try, free, and instantly reversible if you don't like it.

EDIT
On reflection, I recall one or two 'upgrade' cables - quite expensive - which I thought were detrimental.
Yeah yeah
Dust cover removed! I exactly did not remove it but punch tone of holes by using welder tip.
I want to have more interactive of sound with metal mesh so I remove at first for a listening session. Then I choice to punched, not to remove.

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #8,666 of 8,790
Yeah yeah
Dust cover removed! I exactly did not remove it but punch tone of holes by using welder tip.
I want to have more interactive of sound with metal mesh so I remove at first for a listening session. Then I choice to punched, not to remove.
I think I follow that. So, do you now have a hole in the centre of the dust cover? If so, do you find it also tends to reinforce lower frequencies? From memory, Sony describes something like this as an 'acoustic bass lens'.

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #8,667 of 8,790
I think I follow that. So, do you now have a hole in the centre of the dust cover? If so, do you find it also tends to reinforce lower frequencies? From memory, Sony describes something like this as an 'acoustic bass lens'.
No.
Holes are all everywhere.
I dont feel lack of bass, w/o EQ.
I use lamb skin pad.
The best still be no-cover

Attachments

• 20240406_182320.jpg
    20240406_182320.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240406_183807.jpg
    20240406_183807.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #8,668 of 8,790
The thing on my avatar is heavily modify of ibasso SR1.
There's only a thing not be touched is the diaphragm and its silicon ring. It sounds as like my hd800s by the mod.
If have same comfort and feeling as wearing 800sn I will play with it more than I wear 800s.

THE DUST COVER OF IT, IDENTICAL FINE COVER ON 800S (not the rough cover). It must be and should be sonic transparent. But it was NOT. I just found after I read a thread of SR2 the do a try.

I am curious if any one experience fine cover on 800s? Any1 removed it for check?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #8,669 of 8,790
The thing on my avatar is heavily modify of ibasso SR1.
There's only a thing not be touched is the diaphragm and its silicon ring. It sounds as like my hd800s by the mod.
If have same comfort and feeling as wearing 800sn I will play with it more than I wear 800s.

THE DUST COVER OF IT, IDENTICAL FINE COVER ON 800S (not the rough cover). It must be and should be sonic transparent. But it was NOT. I just found after I read a thread of SR2 the do a try.

I am curious if any one experience fine cover on 800s? Any1 removed it for check?
I see, thanks. I've owned quite a few 800 and 800S phones over the years, and I think it's pretty clear that the weave of the dust cover has changed from time to time. The steel weave of the driver housing also changed quite significantly before the 800S was introduced - but seems to have remained largely unchanged since. The ear pads on the early 800 phones were less 'thick' - leaving a larger opening for the ears. All of these things affected the sound I think - there are some good articles about the changes on line.

I agree the dust covers aren't acoustically transparent - they alter the sound. But I can't say I've noticed any difference between the different covers that I've used over the years. That said, my preference has always been to remove the covers, so I've not tested that properly. Keith Howard, the UK reviewer, observed in his original reviews of the 800 and 800S that they sounded better sans covers - which is what prompted me to try it years ago. For what it's worth I think he was quite right (I notice he made a similar point in a recent update review of the 800S). I believe it was Howard also who observed that removal of the covers doesn't affect the way these phones measure - which is very interesting, I think. To my ear, removing the covers in the 800S adds a degree of incisiveness that brings it more into line with the presentation of the early 800 model - which is very much to my taste. I have always thought the 800S gives away just a bit to the 800 in terms of low-frequency articulation. Removing the covers goes some way to retreiving that, without sacrificing the benefits of the high-frequency resonator.

And, by the way, I certainly agree that neither the 800 nor the 800S benefit from EQ - they are just fine without it.

EDIT
Apologies, I've just realised you mentioned the 'fine' dust cover too. I've never come across any discussion on whether this can be removed, and how it might sound. Like you, I think it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has tried it!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #8,670 of 8,790
IMO, fine grain mesh in front of diaphragm (fine cover) will raises the pressure (or vaccuming it depeding polarity of signal) if its venting not enough.
Like you shut a sealed-room door, there's a resistance from the raising room air pressure, near the end of stroke (that time, door close to be closed but still have gap for venting).
The air volume changing is not much (door are multiple few cm along of stroke) in comparision to your room volume.
Because of that, raising of air pressure in room is quite small, but, it acts reinforce to the door.
Smaller the space (room size), the more air raising (same door size).
Diaphragm to fine mesh is quite small. It can alter the sound by raise up air pressure, also dampenning the impulse.
We may all know that lower air pressure ambient will not well in transfer the low freq, it can make a lack of bass as like you listening on a flat flying airplane.
IMO, a best condition for diaphragm to reproduces audio is when pressure is balance both side of driver, and the raise on a side is same as decrease amount on the other side

I believe it's sonic transparent IF the fine mesh stick on ear hole of listener, or, locate some where in front of the ear... not right infront of driver.

Screenshot_20240407_070107_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back