Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 2, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #8,626 of 8,815
Speaking of spare parts, for my the HD800S, within the last month, I bought a....
  • 4-Pin XLR balanced cable
  • Spare Headband
  • Spare set of Earpads
The only one of immediate use is the balanced XLR cable (received today), as I was using a Geekria XLR 4Pin to 4.4mm Balanced Plug Adapter I got from Amazon for $35 bucks...

Geekria Adapter.jpg
The adapter turns the 4.4 balanced connector into a 4-Pin XLR connector. Worked well, and is good quality, but I couldn't tell if it was altering the signal, plus, I wanted a spare OEM cable anyway, this the balanced choice. A bit expensive, but I wanted it.

CH800 Balanced XLR Cable.jpg

Don't need the headband and earpads now as my phones are only two months old; just want to have them around when I do.
boss

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #8,627 of 8,815
V
SuperbestAudioFriends has put a lot of effort into figuring out the best amps for the HD800S. You might want to look there. The best I have personally heard is one of the eddie currents and a donald north amp ( but I forget the exact models). The EC isn't made anymore. DNA is pricey and I am happy with the Icon audio.

For dacs, but I don't think they make anywhere near as much difference as the transducer and amp. But generally I have found r2r dacs better match the HD800S. I am quite happy with the Schiit Gugnir multibit. I thought their yggy was a teeny weeny bit better, but not worth the 1000 eur extra. But I am not sure the Gugnir was really worth the extra either :laughing: It's a great dac, but dacs just don't matter as much as many people say. Of course the more resolving a headphone is the more you can hear the dac... Yet, if it comes down to it, it's much better to buy better headphones and then a better amp, in that order before obsessing about the dac.
I have the Eddie Current Aficionado and a Yggy. The combo is superb with my HD800S's

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #8,628 of 8,815
Speaking of spare parts, for my the HD800S, within the last month, I bought a....
  • 4-Pin XLR balanced cable
  • Spare Headband
  • Spare set of Earpads
The only one of immediate use is the balanced XLR cable (received today), as I was using a Geekria XLR 4Pin to 4.4mm Balanced Plug Adapter I got from Amazon for $35 bucks...

Geekria Adapter.jpg
The adapter turns the 4.4 balanced connector into a 4-Pin XLR connector. Worked well, and is good quality, but I couldn't tell if it was altering the signal, plus, I wanted a spare OEM cable anyway, this the balanced choice. A bit expensive, but I wanted it.

CH800 Balanced XLR Cable.jpg

Don't need the headband and earpads now as my phones are only two months old; just want to have them around when I do.
Geekria has lamb skin pad toon and it sounds good. Im using a pair

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #8,630 of 8,815
Folks, my levels of fomo of premium gear increased exponentially since I joint the community
welcome to head fi

money-rain-cash.gif

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #8,634 of 8,815
Folks, I desperately need a large amount of money to spend on things that I don't really need nor understand but can't live without them
This section of the forum is more like audiophile upper middle class; the rich folks hang out at Whatsbest :sweat_smile:

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #8,637 of 8,815
This section of the forum is more like audiophile upper middle class; the rich folks hang out at Whatsbest :sweat_smile:
Exactly.... https://www.whatsbestforum.com/

Anyway....
Folks, I desperately need a large amount of money to spend on things that I don't really need nor understand but can't live without them
I find this statement is like someone going a Hi-End audio forum and complaining things cost too much. Oh, wait.... ^^^ :unamused:

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #8,639 of 8,815
I don't complain about things being expensive, I honestly think they are pricey because they are exceptionally good. I complain about the effort that I have to make in order to be able to purchase those beloved items... but again, it is what it is, that's life
I thought you decided to get an audeze and pair it with your mojo2 and be done 4 life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back