Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 28, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #706 of 8,819
I think the amp you use would play a part too.

I was using a DNA Sonett in the IEC mode.
I use way too much volume through my MicroZOTL2 - enjoying the pairing too much 
beyersmile.png

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #708 of 8,819
 Very well, it is one of its admirable traits.
Some headphones seem to require high volume to sound correct - the HD800/HD800S hold their qualities at low volume.

Thank you for the feedback. That sounds very promising. 
My main use for these would be music production, and for long hours I'm looking for some headphones that will still provide good detail at lower volumes. 
I'll be trying them out tomorrow hopefully, and might pick up a pair if I like them. 

I think the amp you use would play a part too.

I'm sure it would. At first I'd be using them with my recording gear, but a dedicated headphone amp is surely in my future. Gotta spend a little time figuring out what I'm after with regards to features/specs/sound signature etc. once I've decided on the headphones. 

Have fun! I'm envious as I think that's the most enjoyable part of our hobby: researching, evaluating, trying things out, picking our favourites. And of course enjoying our favourite music through new ears. :)

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #710 of 8,819
For someone who had HD600 for a very long time... and has a bit of nostalgia, is HD800S going to be a right fix? Or should I just rebuy a HD600, lol.

Currently have an X2 which I absolutely love with heavy music (rock/metal), but they lack a bit of refinement for all the acoustic, vocal, jazzy stuff..

TH-X00 is incoming for EDM and other bassy stuff (I gotta admit - LCD-2 and X2 got me spoiled on that nice fat low end)...

PS: I've tried the original unmodded HD800 and was really turned off by a horrible SsSSsibilance.

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #711 of 8,819
  For someone who had HD600 for a very long time... and has a bit of nostalgia, is HD800S going to be a right fix? Or should I just rebuy a HD600, lol.

Currently have an X2 which I absolutely love with heavy music (rock/metal), but they lack a bit of refinement for all the acoustic, vocal, jazzy stuff..

TH-X00 is incoming for EDM and other bassy stuff (I gotta admit - LCD-2 and X2 got me spoiled on that nice fat low end)...

PS: I've tried the original unmodded HD800 and was really turned off by a horrible SsSSsibilance.

I'm going to say go back to the hd600. The 800 S doesn't present itself as a distant relative of the 800, more like a brother. Point is it's still very much a 800 still. Also, the 800S didn't replace my beloved hd650, as I still use both and consider them complements. IMO

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #712 of 8,819
I agree with MattTCG. I auditioned both before getting the HD800S. They are quite different. I would say it's more a step brother than a brother, IMO.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #713 of 8,819
  I agree with MattTCG. I auditioned both before getting the HD800S. They are quite different. I would say it's more a step brother than a brother, IMO.

Not really to me, I think that's too far apart, I have them both and after quite a bit of comparative listening I'd only go as far as non identical twins...........

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #714 of 8,819
  Not really to me, I think that's too far apart, I have them both and after quite a bit of comparative listening I'd only go as far as non identical twins...........

Well, my only problem with original HD800 was the sibilance/treble spike. Is HD800S still quite a bit brighter headphone than HD600?

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #716 of 8,819
Mar 29, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #720 of 8,819

Well, my only problem with original HD800 was the sibilance/treble spike. Is HD800S still quite a bit brighter headphone than HD600?

I think it depends on what you call bright.  I had both the HD600 and HD800S side by side, and to my ears the treble on the HD600 actually bothered me a little bit, whereas I have no fatigue with the HD800S.  I think the HD600 is a little more forward in the upper mids / lower treble than the HD800S (maybe 2-4 kHz?), which I must be a little sensitive to.  In the middle treble though (around that infamous 6 kHz mark), the HD800S probably still has a stronger response.  I think both are pretty even in the upper treble (10 kHz plus).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back