Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX
Feb 23, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #16 of 101
  That's nice to hear :) since the recommendations for a k7xx amp were pretty expensive stuff and my budget right now is .. pretty tight 
triportsad.gif

Thanks again 

I don't have experience with the K7XX. I powered a K812 through a Lehamnn Traveller with less power and it sounded good.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #17 of 101
  I don't have experience with the K7XX. I powered a K812 through a Lehamnn Traveller with less power and it sounded good.

Your recommendation may be correct, but not your reference, K812:s are very easy cans to drive with 36 Ohms and 110dB sensitivity. Specs like your average on ear walkman can ...

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 101
Your recommendation may be correct, but not your reference, K812:s are very easy cans to drive with 36 Ohms and 110dB sensitivity. Specs like your average on ear walkman can ...

Sorry I didn't double check the impedance on the 7xx I thought that all akgs were similar. However a 60ohm can is nowhere near hard to drive at all. I think we can all agree that the 7xx is less sensitive and needs more power but the 812's are more picky on the amp used.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #19 of 101
Sorry I didn't double check the impedance on the 7xx I thought that all akgs were similar. However a 60ohm can is nowhere near hard to drive at all. I think we can all agree that the 7xx is less sensitive and needs more power but the 812's are more picky on the amp used.

As far as I've read, the k7xx are actually  pretty power hungry and very picky headphones. And that's stated not only in this review but also in many other ones. I've heard they make a good pair with Lyr 2 and Asgard but these amps are a bit too expensive for me right now ... 

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #20 of 101

As far as I've read, the k7xx are actually  pretty power hungry and very picky headphones. And that's stated not only in this review but also in many other ones. I've heard they make a good pair with Lyr 2 and Asgard but these amps are a bit too expensive for me right now ... 

I wouldn't say power hungry but sure the more power and cleaner you feed them the better results you are going to have and thats the case with almost every headphone. But with the budget you have right now, the magni 2 will be great. I've read that the K7XX pairs nicely with the magni. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #22 of 101
Alternatively you can try the 120 dollar Schiit Vali hybrid amp. You pay a 20 dollar premium over the Magni but it will make the K7xx sing.

It will sound a bit better but the Vali is not as flexible. For the K7XX it will be fine but for lower impedance IEMs/headphones I don't think it would pair well (I don't have the Vali so please don't quote me on that). The Vali lacks in output power as well in comparison to the Magni2 . For me, I would just get the Magni2 Uber and call it done deal. You will have enough juice to power almost everything. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #23 of 101
Alternatively you can try the 120 dollar Schiit Vali hybrid amp. You pay a 20 dollar premium over the Magni but it will make the K7xx sing.

The Vali is a hybrid amp and the tubes get me worried a little (although the website claims that they will last many years) I wouldn't want to pay a bunch of shipping fees in order to send it back so they can change the tubes. 

It will sound a bit better but the Vali is not as flexible. For the K7XX it will be fine but for lower impedance IEMs/headphones I don't think it would pair well (I don't have the Vali so please don't quote me on that). The Vali lacks in output power as well in comparison to the Magni2 . For me, I would just get the Magni2 Uber and call it done deal. You will have enough juice to power almost everything. 

hmmmm what are the pros of the Magni 2 Uber over the Magni 2 in terms of sound quality ? 

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #24 of 101
The Vali is a hybrid amp and the tubes get me worried a little (although the website claims that they will last many years) I wouldn't want to pay a bunch of shipping fees in order to send it back so they can change the tubes. 

hmmmm what are the pros of the Magni 2 Uber over the Magni 2 in terms of sound quality ? 

Just more power they both use the same AB class topology. The uber can also be used with speakers.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #26 of 101
It can power speakers? I thought I would just have to use the pre-amp output and hook it on my speaker amp.. ? 

It's a preamp you are correct. You could plug it in a amp or a speaker that has an amp inside.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #28 of 101

You're right there. The Magni 2 Uber will be a better choice.

I actually contacted Schiit via email and they replied that the Vali has a nice synergy with the K7xx and that they recommend it over the magni (yes , they actually have a pair of k7xx). 
And I don't mind having to change tubes (or well, an entire amp) in like.. 5 years (according to their website the tubes last 10000-20000 hours) . 
Since I don't have any other headphones (that need amping) nor do I plan on buying in the near future (and I also dislike IEMs) the power factor and microphonics don't actually matter to me. What I'm looking for is an amp that will sound well with the k7xx and will last quite a few years before I need to repair it or set it aside. 
Thanks bpandbass your recommendation was one of the reasons that I decided to look more into the Vali.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #29 of 101

I'm glad to be of service. The Vali is a very dynamic sounding headphone amp that will do well with the K7XX. Since you aren't going to be using more sensitive headphones with it or any pre-outs then the Vali should be right. The Magni will drive the K7XX but it won't give it that extra bit of dynamicness that the Vali will. Solid state amps in that price range tend to sound dull compared to tubes. The Vali will give the K7XX that extra bit of treble extension to open it up, and will bring out that mid bass impact. The K7XX with better sounding equipment you plug it into. You should be set with it for a while.

As a general rule, AKGs sound better with punchy sounding entry level hybrid solid state/tube amps like the Vali or Hifiman EF2A (not as good sounding as the Vali but has swappable tubes and a half decent built-in DAC), than with similarly priced all-solid state amps like the Objective 2 and Magni. I don't like the Fiio amps as they tend to sound dull and soft. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #30 of 101
  I actually contacted Schiit via email and they replied that the Vali has a nice synergy with the K7xx and that they recommend it over the magni (yes , they actually have a pair of k7xx). 
And I don't mind having to change tubes (or well, an entire amp) in like.. 5 years (according to their website the tubes last 10000-20000 hours) . 
Since I don't have any other headphones (that need amping) nor do I plan on buying in the near future (and I also dislike IEMs) the power factor and microphonics don't actually matter to me. What I'm looking for is an amp that will sound well with the k7xx and will last quite a few years before I need to repair it or set it aside. 
Thanks bpandbass your recommendation was one of the reasons that I decided to look more into the Vali.

I'm glad to be of service. The Vali is a very dynamic sounding headphone amp that will do well with the K7XX. Since you aren't going to be using more sensitive headphones with it or any pre-outs then the Vali should be right. The Magni will drive the K7XX but it won't give it that extra bit of dynamicness that the Vali will. Solid state amps in that price range tend to sound dull compared to tubes. The Vali will give the K7XX that extra bit of treble extension to open it up, and will bring out that mid bass impact. The K7XX will improve with better sounding equipment you plug it into. You should be set with it for a while, even if you decide to upgrade systems.

As a general rule, AKGs sound better with punchy sounding entry level hybrid solid state/tube amps like the Vali or Hifiman EF2A (not as good sounding as the Vali but has swappable tubes), than with similarly priced all-solid state amps like the Objective 2 and Magni. I don't like Fiio amps as they tend to sound dull and soft. The Vali and Modi are a great little entry level dual unit headphone system to have, especially for the price of 230 dollars or so. And they have a tiny footprint on the desk. They are also cheaper than buying an Objective 2 and ODAC, which will run you around 300 dollars for the two. As sound goes I think they're as good as a desktop system is going to get before you start spending over 500 dollars for an amp and over 300 dollars for a higher level DAC. They will also make a great workplace office desktop combination. The K7XX, Vali and Modi are likely as good a desktop open back headphone, amp and DAC system as it's going to get for under 500 dollars, especially as you don't like IEMs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back