Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX
Jul 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #91 of 101
Just tried the K7XX with the Burson and the iDSD micro and the iDSD drives it very well and I think it pairs lovely with it. Very musical a bit warm, liquid and full bodied.

cheers.

Sorry you paired it with the Burson, isn't the Burson a headphone amp? I'm just looking to use the iFi Micro by itself as both a DAC + Amp. Were you just using the Micro as a DAC?

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #92 of 101
Sorry you paired it with the Burson, isn't the Burson a headphone amp? I'm just looking to use the iFi Micro by itself as both a DAC + Amp. Were you just using the Micro as a DAC?

Nope, I was comparing it with the Burson - Burson as DAC and amp, ifi iDSD micro as DAC and amp. Photo is for illustrative purposes only, that's how my setup sits around doing nothing.

wink_face.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #93 of 101

Nope, I was comparing it with the Burson - Burson as DAC and amp, ifi iDSD micro as DAC and amp. Photo is for illustrative purposes only, that's how my setup sits around doing nothing.

wink_face.gif

Ah gotcha. Appreciate you double checking for me.

Do you have input on the HD 600? I'm currently trying to decide between the those and the AKG KXX's. Both would be paired with the iFi Micro. 

I just got the HD 700's and I think I'm going to end up returning or selling them. That peak in the highs really bothers me.

I tend to listen to a fair amount of electronica music. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #94 of 101

Ah gotcha. Appreciate you double checking for me.

Do you have input on the HD 600? I'm currently trying to decide between the those and the AKG KXX's. Both would be paired with the iFi Micro. 

I just got the HD 700's and I think I'm going to end up returning or selling them. That peak in the highs really bothers me.

I tend to listen to a fair amount of electronica music. 

No worries. Pleasure.

I also love electronic music and wasn't a fan of the HD600 - I had swapped my 650 with a friend's 600 and we both were happy to get our own headphone back. The 650 has a a bit more warmth to - more body in the low end, that I appreciated much more. I also still have the K7XX and would prefer it anytime over the HD600. and it's a very close call with the 650 for electronic music.

Cheers!

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #95 of 101

No worries. Pleasure.

I also love electronic music and wasn't a fan of the HD600 - I had swapped my 650 with a friend's 600 and we both were happy to get our own headphone back. The 650 has a a bit more warmth to - more body in the low end, that I appreciated much more. I also still have the K7XX and would prefer it anytime over the HD600. and it's a very close call with the 650 for electronic music.

Cheers!

If you had to choose between the HD 650 and the AKG K7XX, do you know which one you would go with? 

I'm currently listening to HD 650's and I already like them more than the HD 700's. I do find myself occasionally missing the clarity of the 700's but I like the laidback-ness of the 600's. The 700's can be really in your face at times. But also really analytical and slightly warm, depending on what song you're listening to. Which is why I'm leaning toward the 650's when comparing them to the K7XX's. The main thing that stuck out at me in OP's post was that the AKG's were more analytical and the Sennheiser's were more lush sounding. Which I think I might favor the Sennheiser's. 

I hate this! Haha I fear I may never truly get to the bottom of these questions until I actually try out all these headphones. Truly an expensive hobby to have.

Also how much more comfortable did your 650's get over time?

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #96 of 101

If you had to choose between the HD 650 and the AKG K7XX, do you know which one you would go with? 

I'm currently listening to HD 650's and I already like them more than the HD 700's. I do find myself occasionally missing the clarity of the 700's but I like the laidback-ness of the 600's. The 700's can be really in your face at times. But also really analytical and slightly warm, depending on what song you're listening to. Which is why I'm leaning toward the 650's when comparing them to the K7XX's. The main thing that stuck out at me in OP's post was that the AKG's were more analytical and the Sennheiser's were more lush sounding. Which I think I might favor the Sennheiser's. 

I hate this! Haha I fear I may never truly get to the bottom of these questions until I actually try out all these headphones. Truly an expensive hobby to have.

Also how much more comfortable did your 650's get over time?

Ok,

you are pretty spot on with your observations.

- if I had to choose one - it would be the 650
- for me they are very comfortable, clamping is a bit high tin the beginning but that eases over time (K7XX are more comfortable out of the box)
- 650 scale well with better equipment, check out the 650 thread - so while they sound great from an iDSD you can add a OTL tube amp later and have more fun, the K7XX don't scale up that much
- K7XX have a slightly better soundstage to my ears

So in short: I would keep the 650 if I could only have one. Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #97 of 101
I just received my K7XX in the mail today and after trying to listen to them disappointedly direct from my Note 7 on the way home from Miami. When I got home I plugged them into my Fiio E18 connected OTG from my HP ENVY Laptop I a took a big sigh of relief because they really are good. Soundstage is spacious imaging is direct, treble is full of air and headroom, the mids are lush, and the bass is fast and prominent. I am more than satisfied with my K7XX.

Aug 14, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #99 of 101
Bumping this old thread as I just got myself the K7xx and the HD600. Listening them through DM100->HeadFive.

I was expecting to get a pair of bright and a pair of neutral headphones, but they are actually much closer to each other than what I thought. The K7xx does seem to have a tad more bass and treble, but on the other hand the bass is tighter and treble cleaner on HD600.

I don't know if it is distortion or just sibilance on K7xx, but to me the HD600 sounds more transparent and clean. The neutral sound does make 'em feel a bit veiled, but to me they sound much more refined than the K7xx. I also prefer them over the HD650.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #100 of 101
After listening to both the K7XX and HD600 for a bit more, I have started to hear more differences between the two. I still think that they are closer to each other than what I expected, but the K7xx definitely has more of a V shaped sound while the HD600 is more neutral. Even bigger difference comes from the soundstage, which is way wider on K7xx while the HD600 is more intimate (not Grado intimate though).

Currently I'm using the K7xx for electronic music as well as games/movies. The HD600 works better for acoustic stuff.

I still feel that the HD600 is the "better" / more hi-fi of the two, but I don't really mind owning both. I guess I will add some Grados and Hifimans to the collection eventually.

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #101 of 101
Giving a resurgence on the forum, I had the opportunity to test the HD650 and a K7xx on Arcam rHead today.

The good thing about the Arcam amp is that it has two headphone outputs so I connect the two headphones simultaneously. That way I can do a very quick A/B comparison.

The Arcam rHead is a Class A amplifier capable of pushing both headphones with your feet behind your back.

To my ears they were too close to each other.

The sound is fuller on the HD650 because of greater bass presence and a more intimate stage.

On the other hand, the K7xx has more air and more treble extension which in some songs helps a lot.

The midranges of the hd650 are also a little ahead of the K7xx.

But both headphones are pretty good.

If I had to pick just one I would go with the hd650, mainly because it goes beautifully with an OTL amp.

I have a Darkvoice and testing the hd650 on it, it came close to my T1 from Beyerdynamic, a much more expensive phone.

The T1 is superior, but the hd650 is not that far behind in Darkvoice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back