Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K702 65th or Hifiman He500 ?
Apr 3, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #31 of 172
I actually like the 65th better than both.  I've sold the 650s and selling the 500s right now.  I'm keeping the 65th.  Someone said the 500s gives more space around the instruments.  I don't find that to be the case at all.  The 65th kills in sound stage and air around the instruments.  However, I do believe the 500s does extend a bit further in the treble area.  

I vote AKG 65th Anniversaries

How would you compare the HD650 and the Annies the low end department? Both extension and impact.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #38 of 172
Quote:
Well, it is at least an overstatement. To say that an O2 "absolutely" cannot drive them would mean that you wouldn't get any music at all. It obviously can create music (I know several people that use the O2 to amp their HE-500s) and several people are quite happy with the result. You can say it doesn't drive them to their best, but not that they don't drive them at all.

It drives them poorly enough that I prefer the HD650 to the HE-500 amped with O2.  The O2 is not sufficient to drive these headphones adequately.  You get 'sound' out of the HE-500 and O2, I suppose.  After hitting that thrilling benchmark with the O2 though, the rest is pure fail.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #39 of 172
Quote:
i see u have both hd650 and he500, which one do u prefer ?:p u think its worth the extra money for the he500 ?

I also have both the HD650 and HE-500 and it is absolutely worth the money - but you must drive them properly (I.E. not with an O2).  If you're not going to drive them, stick with the HD650 - the HD650 sounds good out of many lower-powered amps.  I've heard that it can sound GREAT out of some amps, but an HE-500 needs at least 1w output.  It just does.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #40 of 172
Quote:
so magni combo is better than odac combo with he500 ?

Oh god, yes.  Although, I've heard great things about the ODAC and honestly, USB input DACs are just not a high priority for Schiit.  I don't have the Modi - I have an HRT MSii+ DAC.  DACs will affect the sound, obviously, but as long as you have enough power with your amp, a high-quality DAC cannot fail with the same magnitude that the O2 amp does in this particular application.  DAC fails are more subtle (in my VERY limited experience) and probably won't eviscerate the sound of the HE-500 quite the way that an underpowered amp will.

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #41 of 172
so magni/modi is better than Odac/o2 for he500, how much better ?
and Audio GD NFB 11.32 is a dac/amp combo right ? is this one better than the magni/modi ? how much better ?:p

sorry so many questions :p i think iam planning on he500 :p

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #42 of 172
and Audio GD NFB 11.32 is a dac/amp combo right ? is this one better than the magni/modi ? how much better ?:p

It depends on what kind of signature you are looking for. The HE series is known for its all-rounder signature, the AKG are not that bassy and really neutral and great for monitoring, and I think the 650's are neutral too, from what I've read.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #43 of 172
M/M stack is cheaper and inaudibly different to O2/ODAC according to some impressions but not necessarily better as it doesn't have a variable gain switch to use for efficient cans, if you can afford the 11.32, it has more options and power so its pretty great for its price

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #44 of 172
Anyone have a direct comparison on comfort and fit between the K702/65 and the HD650?

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #45 of 172
Quote:

I can't speak to the ODAC, only the O2.  The ODAC may in fact be a good DAC for the HE-500, but the O2 isn't a good amp for the HE-500.  I like Schiit because of the Magni (such a nice amp for such a low price) but if you read the Schiit website, they seem to really poo-poo USB input as a concept, and so I don't know how much faith I have in their implementation of USB input because I get the feeling that they really don't like the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back