Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 2, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #42,407 of 46,554
I think imaging and soundstage can be quite different on different recordings.

Some tracks might be mastered and produced on a speaker set that is more 'compatible' to a certain type of headphone technology.

I think there are so many different monitor speaker types that are all technically neutral, but yet sound so different to each other, just like headphones.

Then some tracks might be mastered for a lower listening volume than others, it all depends on the target market and maximising sales potential.

I fail to see that there will ever be one headphone to rule them all. Ever.

My HD650s will always be in my collection, because for all its imperfections, there always comes a point in time where I will crave it's sound.

May 2, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #42,408 of 46,554
May 2, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #42,409 of 46,554
I would be buying a 650 used, can an ifi idsd nano BL power the 650s well enough?
Yes, it can. They aren't terribly hard to drive. The thing with the HD650's is they scale so well with different gear.

May 3, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #42,410 of 46,554
I would be buying a 650 used, can an ifi idsd nano BL power the 650s well enough?

It is the most budget DAC/AMP from iFi, if you can, get a second hand Q5 or a second hand xDSD, HD650 scales quite a bit from inano bl to either of those. I don't dislike inano BL, but it is maybe more fit for more portable IEMs or portable headphones. also, pretty smooth, and HD650 was already smooth, if pairing them together, the end signature may be quite smooth.

May 4, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #42,412 of 46,554
It is the most budget DAC/AMP from iFi, if you can, get a second hand Q5 or a second hand xDSD, HD650 scales quite a bit from inano bl to either of those. I don't dislike inano BL, but it is maybe more fit for more portable IEMs or portable headphones. also, pretty smooth, and HD650 was already smooth, if pairing them together, the end signature may be quite smooth.
i'm only getting the ifi nano bl because i don't have a decent DAC, i'm still getting another amplifier in the future, thinking about getting the darkvoice 336se.

May 4, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #42,413 of 46,554
I think imaging and soundstage can be quite different on different recordings.

Some tracks might be mastered and produced on a speaker set that is more 'compatible' to a certain type of headphone technology.

I think there are so many different monitor speaker types that are all technically neutral, but yet sound so different to each other, just like headphones.

Then some tracks might be mastered for a lower listening volume than others, it all depends on the target market and maximising sales potential.

I fail to see that there will ever be one headphone to rule them all. Ever.

My HD650s will always be in my collection, because for all its imperfections, there always comes a point in time where I will crave it's sound.
I listen to headphones for not accurate imaging, but I find headphones can have quite an interesting imaging. Like for example, of a headphone is driven by a particular amp, you can hear the bass area increase. Another amp, smaller bass area with impression of greater impact within the small area. I do notice the placement of the sounds are not accurate, and I'm sure the imaging is caused by facing the cups right over your ears at a direct angle than how we experience speakers. I find headphone sound to have interesting imaging due to a depth derived from the right DAC/Amp/headphone combo, although in certain cases, Hifiman planars tend to have interesting imaging with certain types of tracks, in which I attribute to the headphone's characteristics.

These interesting imaging motivates me to listen to many more tracks to find out what kind of imaging each track has to offer.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #42,414 of 46,554
If a person who currently used a Schiit Magni 3, to drive their 300-Ohm HD6XX, wanted to improve the audio, with a new headphone amplifier,
What would a person have to spend, to get a noticeable improvement in audio quality (and hopefully a little more bass)?

May 5, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #42,416 of 46,554
If a person who currently used a Schiit Magni 3, to drive their 300-Ohm HD6XX, wanted to improve the audio, with a new headphone amplifier,
What would a person have to spend, to get a noticeable improvement in audio quality (and hopefully a little more bass)?

Have a listen to a Schiit Lyr3 with a new production Russian Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB (one of the optional tubes at checkout). Lyr3 without DAC-card will set you back $500.

I use the HD6XX with Lyr3 (with this tube), and I think it is an improvement over Magni3 in all regards, including bass.

May 5, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #42,417 of 46,554

A good consideration would be the Project Ember ($350) which includes an RCA cleartop 12au7 tube. I have mine being fed by a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC ($250) and I have to say that this combo is my favourite of my 3 headphone systems.

Besides sounding terrific this amp has adjustable output impedance settings which allows for close impedance matching to your headphones. I find the Low setting matches my HD6XX very nicely. I like the flexibility of a tube amp (although this is a hybrid amp...preamp is driven by the tube while solid state drives the power amp section). Yes, you'll probably be lured into buying tubes from time to time but that's a good thing in my book because that's how you can tailor the sound of your system to your liking (check out Garage 1217's tube selection). A few months ago I came across 2 tubes that absolutely made my HD6XX and HD58X headphones sing, JJ ECC802S and GE 6CG7/6fQ7, also the Electro Harmonix 6H30Pi if you're interested in a warmer tubey sound.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #42,418 of 46,554
If you're wanting to stay solid state. I'd seriously consider the Emotiva basx A-100. With that said , I have never heard the magni 3 , but have owned Mjolnir 1 and 2 and the emo can hold its own with those 2. Plus you have the ability of putting jumpers in the headphone circuit to run planars at full speaker output if you ever decide to buy planars. All for $250 shipped to your door. Lol. You can find them used on the for sale forums for around $200

May 5, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #42,419 of 46,554
Over here the ifi iDSD nano BL is 50% dearer than ifi iDSD nano LE :confused:

That's interesting, but both iDSD Nano are really budget, they are really not fair examples of what the iFi experience is like, iFi really makes outstanding DAC/AMPs, those are their most entry creations. They are good, but may struggle with HD6XX...

i'm only getting the ifi nano bl because i don't have a decent DAC, i'm still getting another amplifier in the future, thinking about getting the darkvoice 336se.

I see. That would be a really good choice then, the DAC inside is good. I don't remember for sure if it had a Line Out though (?)

What DAC do you have? I think you'd be able to get a pretty good upgrade even from a portable-y DAC/AMP like iFi xDSD or FiiO Q5 + AMP5. Also, iBasso DX220 + AMP7 should sound considerably better, but that's quite a bit expensive already.

May 5, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #42,420 of 46,554

There is always, of course, the venerable Bottlehead Crack :) classic pairing with the HD650. I am a Crackhead so I may be a tad biased (no pun intended), but it's a fantastic amp and a great intro to tubes if you were ever curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back