Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #38,822 of 46,555
First post here. Been a longtime lurker, all the way back to the headwize days. I've owned everything from HD600's to K701's, RS-1's, DT880-250 AND 600's, K601's... you name it. If it was a decent headphone in the mid 2000's I've probably heard or owned it. The HD650 was the headphone that ended the never ending search for my personal audio heaven.

The way they presented music was, and still is simply magical for me. To me it feels like you get every bit of information that you need to fall in love with music again, but not enough to fatigue your ears like an HD800 or DT880 can seem to do. Plus, they're decently easy to amp properly with a variety of sources and scale nicely if you decide to upgrade your equipment.

They're the only headphones, besides the Orpheus 1 (haven't heard the new HE-1... yet!) that I can give a personal 5 star rating to. To my ears, they have no flaws. If they do, they're hidden deep beneath a very very faint veil of silver silk. :wink:

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #38,823 of 46,555
First post here. Been a longtime lurker, all the way back to the headwize days. I've owned everything from HD600's to K701's, RS-1's, DT880-250 AND 600's, K601's... you name it. If it was a decent headphone in the mid 2000's I've probably heard or owned it. The HD650 was the headphone that ended the never ending search for my personal audio heaven.

The way they presented music was, and still is simply magical for me. To me it feels like you get every bit of information that you need to fall in love with music again, but not enough to fatigue your ears like an HD800 or DT880 can seem to do. Plus, they're decently easy to amp properly with a variety of sources and scale nicely if you decide to upgrade your equipment.

They're the only headphones, besides the Orpheus 1 (haven't heard the new HE-1... yet!) that I can give a personal 5 star rating to. To my ears, they have no flaws. If they do, they're hidden deep beneath a very very faint veil of silver silk. :wink:

​Welcome to Head-Fi

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #38,825 of 46,555
I tested hd650 with chord mojo and i feel mojo isnt enough for hd650 and sound is very bassy and i lose micro details and even details..but when i plugged my hd650 to a exo silver plussound cable i can say sound is a lot better

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #38,827 of 46,555
Hi guys. I've been eyeing the HD650 for a while now and I think I'm finally going for it. I currently own the DT990 pro which where my first more serious headphones and a fiio e10k.

I read quite a lot about the HD650 and most people suggest good amping.

I currently have the possibility to get the HD650 Groove bundle for €340 ($370) which i think is a steal.

Anyone can comment on that combo?

Best regards

Morkha

The Groove sucks. I would recomemd the Modi Multibit + Vali 2 minimum for getting a taste of what the 650 can do.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #38,830 of 46,555
I tested hd650 with chord mojo and i feel mojo isnt enough for hd650 and sound is very bassy and i lose micro details and even details..but when i plugged my hd650 to a exo silver plussound cable i can say sound is a lot better

My experience is the exact opposite. HD650 with my Mojo sounds bass lean with plenty of details. Maybe your music has tons of bass? HD650 can't do bass well. Too much distortion and lack of extension. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #38,831 of 46,555

The SD V3 cable will be modded for an HEK V2 later on. From my perspective, if the sound is that much better, cost is irrelevant. I didn't think I would ever buy a cable but after seeing the reviews from Moon Audio and other head-fiers, I have to hear it for myself. If I think it isn't worth it, I'll definitely be returning it.

I already maxed out my Bottlehead Crack with great tubes as well as other significant mods to the main board. Can't get much better than that.

I'm the last person who will advise to get an upgrade cable, I think they're gimmicky and nonsensical. The buzzwords and terminologies they throw out about their manufacturing process and finishing and sound signature sound like what you'd put in fairytale books, and no science man/engineer dudes would spend 2 minutes to listen to their sales pitch. But if your setup is maxed out then I would agree with upgrading cables. At least until we come up with a new DAC and amplification concept.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #38,832 of 46,555
I've had the HD650 for a week now. I also have an X2 now and the Elear previously. My biggest issue with the HD650 is the lack of bass. I'm a bit of a basshead so this is a big glaring flaw for me.  Elear was perfect for me. X2 is a bit lacking in the sub bass but it was still bearable. HD650 is way too lean in the bottom end. Not only it's lean in the bottom end, it's also lean in the lower midrange where male vocals are. Many people describe HD650 as warm but to my ears through my Mojo, it is lean. I would describe my HD650 as, lean bass, lean midrange, beautiful upper midrange and rolled off treble. It sounds like an MDR1A with much less bass.

Many people recommend HD650 with tubes. Could it be that they are trying to add warmness to the sound to compensate the lean low midrange?

HD650 is still a good headphone in my books. The transparency and detail in the midrange and treble are unmatched at this price point. I just think it's low-end capability is severely outdated

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #38,833 of 46,555
All the same old cable talk. Here is a post made by a mod not too long ago about on going cable debate !
[Mod Comment]

Once again getting a lot of flags and complaints about this thread.  I have nuked a lot of posts - both stuff that breaks the rules, and also that quotes and/or replies to those posts. Lets go over the rules.

• Please stay on-topic. Talking about an amplifier in relation to the headphone in question is OK.  Talking about a comparison of two amplifiers in relation to the headphone in question is OK. Getting into a debate about two amplifiers where it is generic, and is more about the amplifiers (and nothing to do with the Utopia/Elear) is not.

• Please just leave all the cable discussion out of it.  We all know it only leads to heated debates.  Start your own thread if you want to discuss.
    Go here for subjective only - hint, objectivists stay away, it is DBT free
    Go here if you want to discuss objectively

• In your interaction on the forums - if you start posting with "you", "your" and then accompanying this with any derogatory term (eg "deluded", "stupid", "ignorant") - then you have just slipped into a personal attack.  These will be deleted, and if we find a regular pattern you will be removed from the thread.

• There will be a lot of different opinions (we are all unique).  Please at least have the decency to respect someone else's - even if it runs contrary to your own.

• Where we think posts are deliberately trolling, or goading people into responses - these will be removed.  There are one or two on this thread who have gotten into a pattern of doing this regularly.  they will know who they are because they have received repeated warnings in this thread.  This is a general warning - continuation of this behaviour, and you will be removed from the thread.

I would highly suggest reading the Posting Guidelines

Users who are viewing this thread

Back