Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #38,809 of 46,554
  Anyone here heard the HD 650 with a Silver Dragon V3? What differences in sound would I get with a cable upgrade? 

Doesn't the Silver Dragon cable cost more than the HD 650? Diminishing returns...

(The last Silver Dragon V3 I bought cost $415, but it was for a $2,500 headphone. And even with that, I question my sanity.)

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #38,811 of 46,554
  Anyone here heard the HD 650 with a Silver Dragon V3? What differences in sound would I get with a cable upgrade? 

You'd get a greater return on investment if you got new tubes and interconnects...

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #38,813 of 46,554
I disagree on the tubes. You don't need tubes to get good sound from the HD 650. I'm not saying to avoid tubes but if you want something portable, it won't have tubes.

That's not what he said. He suggested that Jimbo24 would be better of spending his money on new tubes for his amplifier than on a new cable for the headphones.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #38,815 of 46,554
Cables or veil...? The choice is yours :) 

What about cables creating the veil! 
eek.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #38,818 of 46,554

Doesn't the Silver Dragon cable cost more than the HD 650? Diminishing returns...

(The last Silver Dragon V3 I bought cost $415, but it was for a $2,500 headphone. And even with that, I question my sanity.)

The SD V3 cable will be modded for an HEK V2 later on. From my perspective, if the sound is that much better, cost is irrelevant. I didn't think I would ever buy a cable but after seeing the reviews from Moon Audio and other head-fiers, I have to hear it for myself. If I think it isn't worth it, I'll definitely be returning it.

I disagree on the tubes. You don't need tubes to get good sound from the HD 650. I'm not saying to avoid tubes but if you want something portable, it won't have tubes.

I already maxed out my Bottlehead Crack with great tubes as well as other significant mods to the main board. Can't get much better than that.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #38,819 of 46,554

The SD V3 cable will be modded for an HEK V2 later on. From my perspective, if the sound is that much better, cost is irrelevant. I didn't think I would ever buy a cable but after seeing the reviews from Moon Audio and other head-fiers, I have to hear it for myself. If I think it isn't worth it, I'll definitely be returning it.

Don't get me wrong, I have 4 Silver and Black Dragons. (You may call me Khaleesi.) But they are all for $1,400+ headphones.

I did get a $20 and a $60 cable for my HD 650's, but that was mainly to replace the original cable that is too long and heavy for me. They all sound great to me.

My problem is now that I'm of a certain age where I can afford a few nice things, my most sensitive hearing faculties that would appreciate such things as cables, tubes, etc. are beginning to abandon me. But I keep trying...and spending questionable amounts of money on that great quest.

Ah, youth! It's wasted on the young.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #38,820 of 46,554
Hi guys. I've been eyeing the HD650 for a while now and I think I'm finally going for it. I currently own the DT990 pro which where my first more serious headphones and a fiio e10k.

I read quite a lot about the HD650 and most people suggest good amping.

I currently have the possibility to get the HD650 Groove bundle for €340 ($370) which i think is a steal.

Anyone can comment on that combo?

Best regards

Morkha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back