Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #35,266 of 46,554
I'm talking about a new amp and using the t1 as the dac. You can also tailor the sound a bit by rolling tubes. A relatively cheap tube upgrade would be a gold lion e88cc. You can get one from Amazon, and it kills the stock tube. My favorite was a Nos Amperex 7308, but they're not cheap.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #35,267 of 46,554
Hi I finally took the plunge and bought myself a set of HD 650s after reading all the reviews.

I currently own a pair of Westone W3, Alessandro MS1000, Momentum Wireless and Plantronics Backbeat Sense. Amp wise I own an Aune T1.

To finance the purchase of the HD650s I sold a pair of Grado Prestige 325i.

After a few days of listening to the HD650s im beginning to wonder if selling the Grados for these was such a good idea.

I don't want to go into too much detail but I frankly find the HD650s boring. I don't seem to be getting what everyone else does and the vocals almost seem dull compared to the Grados.

I'm not sure if it's the amp that's causing the issue as I read that the Aune T1 isn't the best for these cans. My source is an ibasso DX50 and ive even tried it through the portable Fiio E07 but I'm still not getting what everyone else seems to be.

Can anyone help me out, is it my amp or have I become accustomed to the grado sound signature?

If I can't find a solution I'll prob be putting these up for sale.

Help
smily_headphones1.gif

Day and night, like going from sunlight (Grados) into a pitch-dark room (650). Takes a bit of adjusting to.
In the end, 650 may just not be for you. At least you gave it a shot.
I sold my 650 this summer. Got a 600 now. Love it, but I still maintain 650 is a nice can (had it for 3 yrs).

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #35,268 of 46,554
Hi I finally took the plunge and bought myself a set of HD 650s after reading all the reviews.

I currently own a pair of Westone W3, Alessandro MS1000, Momentum Wireless and Plantronics Backbeat Sense. Amp wise I own an Aune T1.

After a few days of listening to the HD650s im beginning to wonder if selling the Grados for these was such a good idea.

I don't want to go into too much detail but I frankly find the HD650s boring. I don't seem to be getting what everyone else does and the vocals almost seem dull compared to the Grados.

I'm not sure if it's the amp that's causing the issue as I read that the Aune T1 isn't the best for these cans. My source is an ibasso DX50 and ive even tried it through the portable Fiio E07 but I'm still not getting what everyone else seems to be.

Can anyone help me out, is it my amp or have I become accustomed to the grado sound signature?

Help
smily_headphones1.gif

Many years ago I bought a pair of Grado SR80's and I actually loved how they sounded.  Fast forward to 2013 when I jumped into the headphone/amps/dacs rabbit hole.  I decided to research what might be an upscale headphone that was well regarded and lo and behold it was the Sennheiser HD650.  I headed down to a local retailer that carried them and couldn't wait to get my mind blown and guess what?  I had essentially the same reaction as you did, in fact I told the sales clerk that they sounded boring.

I was so disappointed by the 650's and ended up buying a used pair of HiFiMan HE500's.  They grabbed me and I still have them.  Shortly thereafter I ended up buying a terrific amp (Lake People G109S) that really made the HE500's sing.  Next I added a Schiit Bifrost DAC and I was beginning to get my mind blown.  About a year later I attended an audio show in Toronto and had the opportunity to audition the HD650's again, this time with various amps.  Well guess what, this pair of HD650's didn't sound boring at all.  They had a relaxed nature but a very pleasing sound that I grew accustomed to rather quickly.  They were quite a shift from the HE500's and especially the Grado SR80's but I suspect the terrific amp pairings made these cans very pleasurable to listen to.  A few months later I decided to go for it and I purchased a pair of HD650's.  They sound awesome with the Lake People amp, as well as with the Schiit Vali 2.

I guess my advice is 2 fold.  First, give yourself some time with them.  You are used to the Grado sound which is quite bright, unnaturally so.  Allow some brain burn-in to the 650 sound signature.  Second, try auditioning amps that pair well with the 650's and that have plenty of juice.  These headphone scale very well with better gear.  I love mine now and never plan on parting with them.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #35,269 of 46,554
Yes, per above, grin and bear the 650's for a good week. Your brain may become accustomed to the sound, vs the "illuminated" treble of the Grados.

The Aune is ok, but not great. It does a decent job with the 650's at the lowest dip switch setting... I found changing it higher caused compression and loss of details.

FWIW, the 650's have an ability to sound much more clearer/resolving than the Grados, despite the difference in tuning. This is due to the differences in ability and distortion in the drivers themselves. (If you want some lulz, go look at Grado measurements... I mean seriously.)

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #35,270 of 46,554
Yes, per above, grin and bear the 650's for a good week. Your brain may become accustomed to the sound, vs the "illuminated" treble of the Grados.

The Aune is ok, but not great. It does a decent job with the 650's at the lowest dip switch setting... I found changing it higher caused compression and loss of details.

FWIW, the 650's have an ability to sound much more clearer/resolving than the Grados, despite the difference in tuning. This is due to the differences in ability and distortion in the drivers themselves. (If you want some lulz, go look at Grado measurements... I mean seriously.)

They deserve a very good amp.

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #35,271 of 46,554

That's a shed-load of money though. Are the gains over, say, an Ember MkII worth it?

You love your setup.  Stop listening to us audio-fools.

But man the HD650 scales to infinity I swear.  My HD650s sounded so epic on the GSX Mk2, WA5, and WA22, and I've been thinking more and more about doing a 2 year save up for an end game amp like the Zana Deux Super...

Jeff : so glad to read your last sentence pertaining to the ZDS.  I finally got one a little while ago & IMHO it's the best amp I've owned & it's a match made in heaven for the HD6X0 (I own both).  You'll love it, guaranteed.  Just try not to go crazy w/ the vacuum tube rolling .... like ..... I .... may .... have .....  .....  ..... done ..... did .... 
wink_face.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #35,272 of 46,554

Help
smily_headphones1.gif

As the others have posted the HD-650 is a radical change in sound signature from 325i.  The Aune T1 is a decent DAC/amp for the HD-650, but you might want to change the tube, IIRC the stock tube was on the warmer side so the pairing with the HD-650 might not work.

I would say give the HD-650 a few weeks and if you can change the stock tube to a cleaner or slightly brighter one do so.  If after this time the HD-650 still sounds boring then I would say that the sound signature is just not to your liking.  Too bad you couldn't keep both the 325i and HD-650 as they make a great complimentary pair, a good way to listen to the same tunes in very contrasting styles.

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #35,274 of 46,554
Darkvoice is £265 in the UK

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #35,275 of 46,554
It seems that there is value in getting a headphone that has been around for a very long time, one that has proved itself. For instance, I am very attached to my HD600 and 650, along with my Stax SR007. These would definitely be on the desert island with me.

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #35,276 of 46,554

That's very interesting. I *do* hear tons of resolution in my 650, like I can see into the texture of each musical object, even though I have not read that that this is their reputation. But again, I sure hear it. Could you elaborate or point to any material that could confirm what I sense that I hear?
It is definitely my impression that these are very insightful and resolving headphones, even in the bass where I think there is nice transparency and detail, something that is hard to do. I think the bass transparency is better than Grado.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #35,278 of 46,554
One of the reasons I love the 650's so much is the tonality. Not many headphones I've heard do as well in this area

I agree, not many headphones get tonality right. I love my hd700, but something about the tone of the treble is off. I enjoy my lcd2, but same problem. I am hoping the 650s I have coming will get it right.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #35,279 of 46,554
One of the reasons I love the 650's so much is the tonality. Not many headphones I've heard do as well in this area

I agree, not many headphones get tonality right. I love my hd700, but something about the tone of the treble is off. I enjoy my lcd2, but same problem. I am hoping the 650s I have coming will get it right.

Amp them well and you'll get the tonality you're looking for

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back