Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #35,071 of 46,554
Sep 1, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #35,072 of 46,554
I got my Schiit Jotunheim earlier today, source is Modi Multibit. Using HD650s with stock sennheiser cable re-terminated to 4-pin XLR. Silver solder, Neutrik XLR. 

I have never heard my 650s sound better. Its hard to describe just how awesome they sound with all that power. High gain, balanced to 300ohms is 900mW, vs Vali 2 @ 270mW. More than 3 times the power. I'm not sure if its the balanced nature, or the higher power, but the music has so much more impact now. The detail I'm getting is also staggering. This amp really lets the Modi Multibit flex its precision audio reproduction muscles.

Did you also get the internal D/S dac card with the Jotunheim? And if so, how good is it compared to the Multibit Modi?

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #35,073 of 46,554
Did you also get the internal D/S dac card with the Jotunheim? And if so, how good is it compared to the Multibit Modi?

I did not get the internal DAC, I'm holding out for something better.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #35,076 of 46,554
  I got my Schiit Jotunheim earlier today, source is Modi Multibit. Using HD650s with stock sennheiser cable re-terminated to 4-pin XLR. Silver solder, Neutrik XLR. 

I have never heard my 650s sound better. Its hard to describe just how awesome they sound with all that power. High gain, balanced to 300ohms is 900mW, vs Vali 2 @ 270mW. More than 3 times the power. I'm not sure if its the balanced nature, or the higher power, but the music has so much more impact now. The detail I'm getting is also staggering. This amp really lets the Modi Multibit flex its precision audio reproduction muscles.

At $650, Modibit + Jotunheim seems to be a very good value proposition for the 650's. I would love to compare this to Mojo, and the LC...

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #35,077 of 46,554
Are you able to compare the Jotunheim to the Valhalla 2 when driving the hd650 at all?

I heard it at a friends house about 2 months ago. Unfortunately I can't remember the sound well enough to do an actual comparison, but I do remember it sounded better than my Vali 2, much warmer as well. It didn't blow my mind like the Jot, but it was a different listening environment, and different DAC, so YMMV.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #35,080 of 46,554
I know everyone is on a constant quest upgrading either amps or headphones in search of the holy grail. I recently bought a pair of HD650's and was somewhat disappointed with clarity and bass definition not being on par with my speakers.  

Before dumping the 650's I decided to try a pair of Wywire Red cables and im astonished at the transformation. Im surprised everyone isn't instantly ditching the stock cable. Now I have the resolution I was hoping for, well worth the price of entry!! The 650's are now singing and no desire to upgrade.
Thank you Alex!!

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #35,084 of 46,554
  I know everyone is on a constant quest upgrading either amps or headphones in search of the holy grail. I recently bought a pair of HD650's and was somewhat disappointed with clarity and bass definition not being on par with my speakers.  

Before dumping the 650's I decided to try a pair of Wywire Red cables and im astonished at the transformation. Im surprised everyone isn't instantly ditching the stock cable. Now I have the resolution I was hoping for, well worth the price of entry!! The 650's are now singing and no desire to upgrade.
Thank you Alex!!

Pad wear in, or possibly some driver burn in would change the sound a lot more dramatically than a cable. They are dynamic drivers, and I did find they had a bit of burn in myself (nothing as dramatic as some capacitors in other gear).

What is your chain going to the 650's? They also scale like mad... Depending on which amp you're using to drive them, I would recommend to anyone interested in purchasing a $300+ cable to instead stick with the stock cable, and invest in a better amplifier, and/or DAC. Tossing a 4 pin XLR onto the end of the stock cable is a worthy upgrade as well, if you have balanced gear. 

This is why others forgo upgrading from the (knowingly good) stock cable. FWIW, I do use different interconnects, and I've found that I have a preference myself, but I don't think that cost necessarily equals better sound- especially for cables.

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #35,085 of 46,554

Thank you Alex!!

As @mikoss posted above, agree with him about cables.  If you go to the HD-600 thread there are some there that think the HD-650 cable is an upgrade to stock HD-600 cable.  I would rather spend the $300+ for cables on a better amp or great tubes if you have a tube amp, way more bang for your buck IMO.  FWIW I don't use the stock cable either since it kinks a little (not as bad as the HD-700 cable), been building my own cables using Mogami, Canare and Cardas wires for a few years now, much cheaper and I can make any length I want.

I've also had some high priced (to me anyway) Double Helix and Forza cables ($400-500) and tried some informal blind testing and couldn't tell the difference so figured I'm better off spending my funds on something that I can hear the difference with, like tubes, new DAC, better recorded/mastered music, etc.

But if you can hear the difference in cables then I can't argue with what you hear, only person that matters is you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back