Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #20,716 of 46,554

Yep there are other options indeed, have you tried the other options besides the o2?

No I have not. The Schiit would at best be a minor upgrade and anything more costs real money, of which I have none. I have an E18 which I sometimes use in my portable rig but other than that my experience of amps is sadly limited. I do believe an amp at best is a straight wire with gain and since I'm happy with the tonality of my HD 650 as is I see no reason to seek out further colouration. More power might be something I'd like to try though.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #20,717 of 46,554
eBay is your friend. I picked up a Valhalla (rollable version) for 190 ,shipped. Picked up some 78 voskhod silver shields for 40 shipped. And an D-Zero (Sabre edition) for 65 shipped from tokyo. All used with my HD-650. I can't begin to think that I could do a lot better for the same money spent. ($295).
No I have not. The Schiit would at best be a minor upgrade and anything more costs real money, of which I have none. I have an E18 which I sometimes use in my portable rig but other than that my experience of amps is sadly limited. I do believe an amp at best is a straight wire with gain and since I'm happy with the tonality of my HD 650 as is I see no reason to seek out further colouration. More power might be something I'd like to try though.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #20,718 of 46,554

Yea, if you're happy with the O2, not much reason to switch to the M&M. Or really a lot of other amps. I don't have an interest in tubes (except for guitar amps) so the only thing that really interests me is a balance DAC/amp rig from someone like Audio-GD. That starts at around $600. So, until I've got that sitting around, I'm staying put pretty much.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #20,719 of 46,554
Aye, lol, eBay is my friend. Unfortunately my bank is my mortal enemy at the moment.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #20,723 of 46,554

Another victory for the Toyota Camry of DAC/amps 
popcorn.gif

Honestly, I feel bad now about making this comment.

I was just making a snarky remark to try to be funny, but can we all just let it go, with respect to everyone's personal choices around amps?

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #20,724 of 46,554

I was just making a snarky remark to try to be funny, but can we all just let it go, with respect to everyone's personal choices around amps?

Snarky? I took it as a compliment.

It's cheap, reliable, versatile and gets the job done! It's the model of efficiency...

Seriously though, I had JDS Labs mod mine, so the 1/4 inch headphone out is switched and connected to the rear rca out. At 1x gain it makes on helluva a preamp, so now I have a true desktop O2/ODAC with a headamp/preamp/dac all in one. It makes the HD650 sing. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #20,725 of 46,554

One thing to bear in mind Schiit is not such good value for those that don't live in the USA ( some are even on the Internet
blink.gif
), when the Vali became available locally it was $260 AU, I got all the bits to make an O2 + ODAC for $150 (with spare case) sent from Headnhifi in Switzerland, guessing a mini Schiit stack would have been $400+ locally, not a value proposition if you can DIY..

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #20,727 of 46,554
Gentleman,

Can a few of you share your opinion on the soundstage of the hd600 vs hd650. I know there comparison threads but I'm trying to gather as many opinions as possible as there are no places for me to audition these.

I've heard the 650's are much better soundstage wise. I've also heard the complete opposite...
blink.gif

I can see myself getting them regardless.

Thanks in advance

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #20,730 of 46,554

Users who are viewing this thread

Back