Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #20,671 of 46,554
  Do you find the Crack+SB sluggish compared to the NFB10WM, or does it keep up the pace pretty well? I'm looking for something that'll quicken up my HD650s a bit and add some slam, but my current SS gear is obscure enough that I can't find any reliable comparisons between it and any common headphone amps.

What are some good tubes to start with? I'm completely unversed in the world of tube rolling, and I would have no clue where to start with the Crack. If I spring for SB my tube budget will probably be fairly limited, so I'm looking for good values instead of objective bests.

I've found mercedesmann via fleabay a good source. Just send him a message with your budget and tell him the sound signature you prefer. Amperex orange globes are tried and true and usually go for about $60, sometimes less. The Russians are also good for the money. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #20,676 of 46,554
This might be the dumbest question ever. I recently purchased a new cable for my HD-650. The new one has red and black plugs , that plug into the phones, and neither are labeled L or R. Is there a consensus on R & L , by color? Thanks in advance.

Red is Right.

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #20,678 of 46,554
Thanks bro.

I had that problem aswell when I bought a custom cable, as they didn't come as red from the factory as I guess the HD600 do
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #20,679 of 46,554
  I had that problem aswell when I bought a custom cable, as they didn't come as red from the factory as I guess the HD600 do
tongue.gif

The big problem with my 2 custom cables for my 650? While there are color coded, there are not labeled inside/outside, so you have to test fit. Super annoying...

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #20,680 of 46,554

The big problem with my 2 custom cables for my 650? While there are color coded, there are not labeled inside/outside, so you have to test fit. Super annoying...

Well one of the 2 spikes (or what to call it) is thicker than the other, and you will see if they are supposed to be forward or not if u look at the original cable. That is how I found out anyway!

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #20,681 of 46,554
  Well one of the 2 spikes (or what to call it) is thicker than the other, and you will see if they are supposed to be forward or not if u look at the original cable. That is how I found out anyway!

Snap! Thanks for the tip. I actually looked at that, but I didn't notice a difference in thickness. I am frequently changing cables (6.3mm on desktop vs. 3.5mm for portable use) and I was worrying about the number of duty cycles on the connector and/or the socket from pushing them in backwards.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #20,682 of 46,554

Snap! Thanks for the tip. I actually looked at that, but I didn't notice a difference in thickness. I am frequently changing cables (6.3mm on desktop vs. 3.5mm for portable use) and I was worrying about the number of duty cycles on the connector and/or the socket from pushing them in backwards.

Yeah, I'd switch to just using the 3.5 with an adapter...

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #20,683 of 46,554
  Yeah, I'd switch to just using the 3.5 with an adapter...

RIght, except the 3.5mm adapter won't make the cable a lot shorter 
wink_face.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #20,684 of 46,554
Highly detailed, very textured, natural seem that's smooth, easy and relaxing to hear. A forgiving allrounder with superb comfort. It's a true reference class earphone that's very natural sounding, although leaning very slightly perfectly into a more dark tone. The seem is detailed, smooth and highly textured, especially drums come to life wonderfully. It's not a problem spanning completely in the greatest bass towards the greatest levels with supreme control and lots of muscles to spare. But to be honest, though so good it is, I saved my money for a quite long time for it.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #20,685 of 46,554

Yea i'm not sure if it's good with constant changing, as I know I seen a hd600 in a store that did not properly work. But I guess there was a lot of ppl that wasn't careful, and disconnecting the plugs quite alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back