Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #20,522 of 46,554
http://www.head-fi.org/t/742519/pure-solid-silver-cable-for-sennheiser-hd600-hd650

for those who are itching to try ...how about this?? 

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #20,523 of 46,554
  Alright, I'm just going to apologize to Beyerdynamic and take back most of my really unfair early impressions for the T1. Such a great headphone.

I spend two days with my HD-650 only and plugged my T1 on my ODAC/H10 out of curiosity because I'm going to ship them to their new owner tomorrow. 
No idea what happened, maybe because my ears were rested, or my H10 finally broke-in, but I feel completely different about them tonight.

True (without any EQ) the bass could have a little more impact to my taste, the midrange more smoothness, transparency and presence, and the highs less of a cutting edge to it. It still feels fatiguing, which I'm not a big fan of, but nowhere near as bad as before where my ears couldn't stand the high frequencies more than 20 minutes.

A warm tone, with decent bass, body, a ton of details and an impressive soundstage. I should have been in bed 2h ago, yet I'm still going from one song to another to listen how good it is, not even doing anything else. It never happened before. Much more emotion and PRaT.

Don't get me wrong, I like the HD-650 for what they are (quite different, except for some warmness shared), but the T1 just mind-blowned me 
biggrin.gif

I think the T1 and the HD650 compliment each other well.
It's also worth noting that sometimes you need to give your ears some time to adjust to headphones, particularly if their sounds contrast to the one you already own. I'm still noticing and understanding the contrasting characteristics of those two headphones.

Also, my mistake at the start was concentrating on comparing headphones, instead of listening and enjoying your music. That's what's important in the end. It's a good sign when a headphone keep you from going to bed. Being a nightowl I enjoy late night listening sessions immensely
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #20,524 of 46,554
But wait!  On Saturday, my new Project Amber tube amp (along with 4 tubes) arrived!  After spending a lot of time rolling tubes and getting a feel for it with the HE-4, I put my favorite tube back in and realized that I wasn't really sold on it.  The tube sound kinda ruined what was awesome about the HE-4.  So I figured I'd swap in the HD650 for a bit just to see how it sounds.

Holy cow!  I now know what people mean when they say that synergy of your components is more important than any individual component.  The Ember on its own and the HD650 on its own were both just okay to me.  But together, the 650 really came to life!  I mean, I don't want to overstate the changes, but we all know that very small changes can make a big difference overall.  And something about the Ember just makes the HD650 sing.

I would say that something would be tubes... Anyone who enjoys the tube sound should audition HD-650s.
What tube are you using?

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #20,525 of 46,554
I would say that something would be tubes... Anyone who enjoys the tube sound should audition HD-650s.
What tube are you using?

From memory, I believe it's an Amperex 6DJ8.  I listened to the four that I had and this seemed to be the best with my HE-4, but it wasn't as good as I'd have liked.  I popped my HD650 in and was really impressed.  I might have to roll the other tubes with the HD650 now just to see how they do on that can.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #20,526 of 46,554
Just got my HD650s in today, been wanting to try them for quite a while. Have it paired to my Modi/Magni. I think I like the sound, but I need to let my ears adjust for a little while. Anyone paired them with a Vali. Curious if that would effect the bottom end any. Not really interested in a Crack at all.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #20,527 of 46,554

From memory, I believe it's an Amperex 6DJ8.  I listened to the four that I had and this seemed to be the best with my HE-4, but it wasn't as good as I'd have liked.  I popped my HD650 in and was really impressed.  I might have to roll the other tubes with the HD650 now just to see how they do on that can.

I love Amperex 6dj8's with the HD-650s... Try the Amperex 7308 holland version... transparent, with gorgeous sounding mids. The only tube I love more is the Phillips Miniwatt E188CC... it has the mids of the Amperex tubes, plus the beautiful extended highs of the Siemens tubes, with more solid bass as well.

Anyway, enjoy!

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #20,528 of 46,554
  I love Amperex 6dj8's with the HD-650s... Try the Amperex 7308 holland version... transparent, with gorgeous sounding mids. The only tube I love more is the Phillips Miniwatt E188CC... it has the mids of the Amperex tubes, plus the beautiful extended highs of the Siemens tubes, with more solid bass as well.

Anyway, enjoy!

Thanks!  I truly appreciater the recommendations!  I've heard that the Philips Miniwatt is good with the HE-4 so maybe that will be my next purchase.  I'll probably wait for the HD700's to come in tho before I spend more on tubes for the HD650 that I may or may not keep...

EDIT - Oh good lord, $200??

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #20,530 of 46,554

Anyway, enjoy!
try to get your hands on a pair of Amperex 6ha5 tubes. I own a pair, and they're totally awesome with the hd650! They're relatively cheap, around $6 USD. Good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back