Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #20,476 of 46,554
I tried to EQ out of curiosity. I'm using the Graphic Equalizer of Foobar. Crazy how going at -12 db at 6,3k and 12k5 is such a relief to my ears, 6,3k being the most dramatic change.

Gotta say it's much more enjoyable this way, although the treble sounds somewhat bloated and off due to the EQ. Voices are also a bit meh. Interesting how I immediately feel there's something wrong in my ears when I up these two frequencies, and it start to hurt progessively after a short moment.

I also have to admit it's hard to go back at first to the HD-650 due to the lack of details. The T1 sounds so transparent/with more resolution in this regard (which was expected though). Bass also ended up sounding better with the Gustard H10 and T1, more compact and controlled, and less "in your face". Trebles and voices remain however a huge issue :'( Even at -12 db on two frequencies - ouch to the balance :D  - it still feel like a small (granted a lot less than before) physical relief to put back my HD-650 back on after only 20 minutes or so with the T1.

Be careful with doing quick A-B comparisons with very different sounding headphones like these. What seems to happen is that they both start to sound bad.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #20,477 of 46,554
A parametric EQ will allow you to focus in on the errant frequency and leave the surrounding frequencies as is.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #20,478 of 46,554
A parametric EQ will allow you to focus in on the errant frequency and leave the surrounding frequencies as is.

+1 you need to use a parametric EQ. Otherwise it is like using a hammer to comb your hair.

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #20,480 of 46,554
I'm stealing that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Consider it a gift from a long lost Scottsman. My surname is Girvan and my great grandfather emigrated from Scotland to Canada. One day soon I hope I will get to visit Scotland which I have wanted to do for quite a few years now.

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #20,482 of 46,554
Originally Posted by HemiSam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did see the link posted earlier to the eBay seller for around $50-60 so that's an option but I didn't see any posts about quality from anyone so not sure if they're good or not.

I did comment on that cable, the build quality is faultless and if the sound quality was no good I wouldn't have been using them exclusively since I got them. Maybe I should have been more emphatic
regular_smile .gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #20,483 of 46,554
I'm stealing that. :)

Consider it a gift from a long lost Scottsman. My surname is Girvan and my great grandfather emigrated from Scotland to Canada. One day soon I hope I will get to visit Scotland which I have wanted to do for quite a few years now.
[/quote
My ancestors came from Scotland/ Wales in 1756 The family name back then was Lazarus Cameron. I truly want to visit Scotland and Wales. To look upon the wind swept mores, sip some fine single malt scotch, while listening to the SEX Pistols, on a portable rig would be devine:)

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #20,485 of 46,554
Good deal. I think that's my next purchase. The stock cable is good for rappelling, but less so for jamming....

biggrin.gif

HS

you could get lucky:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Silver-Plated-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphone-/311182115962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4873e6447a

New Silver Plated Audio upgrade Cable For Sennheiser HD650 HD600 HD580 headphone

1.2meter OCC copper with Silver plated cable
  1. AU $37.12
  2. 52 bids
  3. Free postage
  1. 1d 3h left

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #20,486 of 46,554
Checking in here guys, mine just arrived from Amazon's lightning deal. 

Got some King Crimson queued up and some Bailey's Hot Chocolate.

My question is about some go to suggestions for amps nowadays. I have a Yulong U100 that seems to do a manageable job but I understand that these can really sing with more.

What are some cheaper go to's around 200-300 with or without a DAC?

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #20,487 of 46,554
Congrats on a good decision :wink:

Many people suggest OTL tube amps are best for the HD650s. The amount of times I have read this, probably means they have great synergy together, but they start just outside your budget.

The problem with an OTL amp is that they really only work for high impedance headphones, so they may not work for any of your other current/future headphones. Until you are sure that you are not going to change up headphones I would stick with a solid state as they will work with anything.

I am currently using an O2/ODAC as my amp and it works really well. Its designed to have enough power for 99% of headphones out there and it works with high or low impedance headphones. That being said, I have been through enough more expensive headphones to realize that the HD650s are "the headphone" for me, as such I am saving up for an OTL Bottlehead crack to see what all the fuss is about

BTW the bottlehead crack is probably the number one recommended amp for the HD650s. It comes in just under your budget, but doesn't include a dac and you have to build it yourself. 

EDIT: I just looked at the specs on the yulong amp you have. It has sufficient power for the HD650s, and seems to measure really well. It should be more than sufficient for the time being. Maybe you should hold off on making any decisions until you are certain that you wont be changing up headphones. This hobby gets expensive when you start switching things up... trust me :)

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #20,488 of 46,554
  Congrats on a good decision :wink:

Many people suggest OTL tube amps are best for the HD650s. The amount of times I have read this, probably means they have great synergy together, but they start just outside your budget.

The problem with an OTL amp is that they really only work for high impedance headphones, so they may not work for any of your other current/future headphones. Until you are sure that you are not going to change up headphones I would stick with a solid state as they will work with anything.

I am currently using an O2/ODAC as my amp and it works really well. Its designed to have enough power for 99% of headphones out there and it works with high or low impedance headphones. That being said, I have been through enough more expensive headphones to realize that the HD650s are "the headphone" for me, as such I am saving up for an OTL Bottlehead crack to see what all the fuss is about

BTW the bottlehead crack is probably the number one recommended amp for the HD650s. It comes in just under your budget, but doesn't include a dac and you have to build it yourself. 

EDIT: I just looked at the specs on the yulong amp you have. It has sufficient power for the HD650s, and seems to measure really well. It should be more than sufficient for the time being. Maybe you should hold off on making any decisions until you are certain that you wont be changing up headphones. This hobby gets expensive when you start switching things up... trust me :)

I was thinking of the Crack, having read the same suggestion for years. My Yulong has a good DAC portion I can use with its lineout too. Just wondering what else was out there if there's a FOTM or anything new. Lots of old standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back