Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #19,892 of 46,554
So I've had my O2 + ODAC for a few years now paired with my HD 650's and I'd like to upgrade to Bottlehead Crack + Speedball. I'm wondering for those of you who have heard both AMP/DAC combos, how is the difference in sound? I'd like to know if it's worth the upgrade. Thanks!

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #19,893 of 46,554
The Crack is a tremendous pairing for the 650 and IMO is the best amp I've heard with this hp. The Valhalla 2 is close but does quite offer the same magic. 

The difference between the 02 and the BHC with sb...monumental IMO. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #19,894 of 46,554
So I've had my O2 + ODAC for a few years now paired with my HD 650's and I'd like to upgrade to Bottlehead Crack + Speedball. I'm wondering for those of you who have heard both AMP/DAC combos, how is the difference in sound? I'd like to know if it's worth the upgrade. Thanks!

That's a great question.

The Crack is a tremendous pairing for the 650 and IMO is the best amp I've heard with this hp. The Valhalla 2 is close but does quite offer the same magic. 

The difference between the 02 and the BHC with sb...monumental IMO. 

That's a monumental answer.

I need a job :)

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #19,896 of 46,554
Zorrofox... Your friends here on head-fi are all rooting for you. We all identify with the motivation, since from time-to-time, we've all been there, too.

+ A GREAT BIG 1

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #19,897 of 46,554
Being out of work, or underemployed blows monkey nuts for sure mate. Hope your luck turns. Been there, done that, really didn't like it.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #19,899 of 46,554
What dac/amp combo ($200-$300) would suit the HD650's best?

The best is the Valhalla and Modi, the former a little high, you could go with the Vali for now, more than adequite.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #19,900 of 46,554
I've heard mixed reviews about the Vali with the HD650, however haven't tried it myself. The Crack on the other hand is superb. Very superb. You won't believe the tone and tight bass you will get out of a Crack with Speedball paired with the HD650s until you hear it. Upgrades and tube rolling makes this even better, not that you won't be satisfied with a stock Crack.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #19,901 of 46,554
I've been unemployed the last few months because of local politics but there's a chance I'll be starting a new job shortly. Once I get some funds behind me I intend to take a plunge into valve amplification, probably with a Bottlehead Crack (if I can source a ready-built one locally).

Hang in there, brother.  The bad feelings that come with unemployment *do* pass.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #19,902 of 46,554
Absolutely wanted to love my new HD 650's...really I did.  They're great in many ways, but in the end they proved too veiled and dark for me despite what I expected....hoped for.  Playing lossless ripped CD's through a Beresford Caiman MKII > Woo WA7 (amp) > HD 650.  Surprisingly, my AT M50X's proved to be more interesting with this rig than the Senn's.  Bummer...  I can certainly see why many love the warmth and serious bass impact.  They have plenty of that going on.

Now I'm wondering if I should try the HD 600's or the 700's.  I have a new set of the Sony Z7's on the way....will likely wait to see what those bring.

HS

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #19,903 of 46,554
  Absolutely wanted to love my new HD 650's...really I did.  They're great in many ways, but in the end they proved too veiled and dark for me despite what I expected....hoped for.  Playing lossless ripped CD's through a Beresford Caiman MKII > Woo WA7 (amp) > HD 650.  Surprisingly, my AT M50X's proved to be more interesting with this rig than the Senn's.  Bummer...  I can certainly see why many love the warmth and serious bass impact.  They have plenty of that going on.

Now I'm wondering if I should try the HD 600's or the 700's.  I have a new set of the Sony Z7's on the way....will likely wait to see what those bring.

HS

These headphones are not for everyone, to be sure. Perhaps if you stick with them, they will really grow on you, as they did with me. With that said, you might go with the HD-600 or the Beyer DT-880s. I just heard the latter today from a friend, and I was very impressed. You might want to clarify what you mean when you say you are looking for an "interesting" sound signature, though. Perhaps you are lookign for something more V-Shaped, with accentuated bass and treble. That would lead you to something like the DT-990 or the Fidelio X1. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #19,904 of 46,554

HS

Everyone's ears (and preferences) are different, so I won't insist that you'll ever like the sound of the 650s like I do, but I will suggest that you give them proper burn-in time before deciding how they sound.  I had targeted burning mine in for 300 hours before making critical observations, but noticed that the sound signature (and volume!) changed at around the 100 hour mark.  Just leave them on and burning in before you return them is my suggestion. 
They really opened-up a bit for me.  (And I wasn't even hoping for it.  I thought they were fine as they were originally.)

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about the HD-600s and 700s, but if you really like DETAIL, then I can tell you that the GRADO SR-225e headphones have it in spades, and they are relatively inexpensive.  The sound is a little too bright for my or my wife's taste, but they had great and clear detail to say the least. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #19,905 of 46,554

Everyone's ears (and preferences) are different, so I won't insist that you'll ever like the sound of the 650s like I do, but I will suggest that you give them proper burn-in time before deciding how they sound.  I had targeted burning mine in for 300 hours before making critical observations, but noticed that the sound signature (and volume!) changed at around the 100 hour mark.  Just leave them on and burning in before you return them is my suggestion. 
They really opened-up a bit for me.  (And I wasn't even hoping for it.  I thought they were fine as they were originally.)

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about the HD-600s and 700s, but if you really like DETAIL, then I can tell you that the GRADO SR-225e headphones have it in spades, and they are relatively inexpensive.  The sound is a little too bright for my or my wife's taste, but they had great and clear detail to say the least. 

+1 on the SR-225e. Also the Q701 excels in this same regard; they make for a very engaging listen. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back