Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #19,666 of 46,554
@Nnug, I just saw a 650 for $320 US, shipping and paypal fees included. That seems a little low, but for sure they will sell quickly like that. Did you pay shipping when you bought yours, or was it free shipping? Anyway, maybe consider about $340 shipped sounds like a more realistic number, as I said $320 sounds a tad low, certainly for a new pair. Good luck.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #19,667 of 46,554
"lack of bass" issues with the HD650 !!! :blink:

Nnug was complaining about it too. My brand new ones were considerably less dark than the 650's I tried that had been well owned.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #19,668 of 46,554
  @Nnug, I just saw a 650 for $320 US, shipping and paypal fees included. That seems a little low, but for sure they will sell quickly like that. Did you pay shipping when you bought yours, or was it free shipping? Anyway, maybe consider about $340 shipped sounds like a more realistic number, as I said $320 sounds a tad low, certainly for a new pair. Good luck.

Got em with free shipping, will give em some more burn in while I look around for an alternative just in case. Thanks for the help though :)

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #19,671 of 46,554
I hope those concerned by perceived lack of bass for the HD650s will not lose heart.  Since majority of posters enjoy warmth and depth of the HD650, perhaps the set-up of others with less positive results is not coaxing the maximum tonal qualities from the HD650.  I mean absolutely no disrespect in this comment.  I own numerous amps Fiio E17, E09, PD MX6, MX4 SS amps and had considered the Schiit Valhalla, but wanted optimum performance from HD650's so, before I purchashed these cans, I spent roughly a week researching head-fi threads to see what HD650 / amp combinations received rave reviews.  LD amps, and in particular the MK IV SE topped the list.  I ordered both the HD650 and MK IV SE, and never regretted that choice.  The only other concern is pre-conceived idea prior to trying a new headphone.  If someone perceives that a headphone, like the HD650 should produce jaw viborating bass, they will be disappointed.  If they fail to burn-in new headphones, the bass response may sound more shallow and have less depth than what they are expecting.  All of these concerns may be overcome, but in summary, for those considering changes to their stable of headphones or amps... extensively research reviews, impressions and comments on any headphone or amp combination you may consider.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #19,672 of 46,554
I hope those concerned by perceived lack of bass for the HD650s will not lose heart.  Since majority of posters enjoy warmth and depth of the HD650, perhaps the set-up of others with less positive results is not coaxing the maximum tonal qualities from the HD650.  I mean absolutely no disrespect in this comment.  I own numerous amps Fiio E17, E09, PD MX6, MX4 SS amps and had considered the Schiit Valhalla, but wanted optimum performance from HD650's so, before I purchashed these cans, I spent roughly a week researching head-fi threads to see what HD650 / amp combinations received rave reviews.  LD amps, and in particular the MK IV SE topped the list.  I ordered both the HD650 and MK IV SE, and never regretted that choice.  The only other concern is pre-conceived idea prior to trying a new headphone.  If someone perceives that a headphone, like the HD650 should produce jaw viborating bass, they will be disappointed.  If they fail to burn-in new headphones, the bass response may sound more shallow and have less depth than what they are expecting.  All of these concerns may be overcome, but in summary, for those considering changes to their stable of headphones or amps... extensively research reviews, impressions and comments on any headphone or amp combination you may consider.

I tried 650's on my setup before buying them. My anticipations were based off of that. I also tried many other amps with them, and I agree that the combination is very important.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #19,673 of 46,554
I tried 650's on my setup before buying them. My anticipations were based off of that. I also tried many other amps with them, and I agree that the combination is very important.

When I tried the HD650s with my solid state amps, the sound was okay, but nothing to write home about, but when I tried the HD650s with the Little Dot MK IV SE amp, even before burning in the headphones or amp, the sound quality was incredible!  It was an added bonus that this amp was once of the lower priced amps, at only $389 USD plus shipping.  I am really glad I spent time researching what others had found to pair well.  If someone does not spend this research time, they may spend far more money trying different headphones and amps before they find a combination that matches what they are looking for.

Best of luck to those who are still looking, and know that we (head-fi community) are here for you!

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #19,674 of 46,554

"lack of bass" issues with the HD650 !!! 
blink.gif

My reaction too
confused.gif

I guess it's what you're used to, I've never been able to use IEMs so don't know what I'm "missing".

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #19,675 of 46,554
The HD 650's have more upper mid-range/lower treble than anything else so that can explain why they can be perceived as having a lack in bass or upper treble.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #19,676 of 46,554
  When I tried the HD650s with my solid state amps, the sound was okay, but nothing to write home about, but when I tried the HD650s with the Little Dot MK IV SE amp, even before burning in the headphones or amp, the sound quality was incredible!  It was an added bonus that this amp was once of the lower priced amps, at only $389 USD plus shipping.  I am really glad I spent time researching what others had found to pair well.  If someone does not spend this research time, they may spend far more money trying different headphones and amps before they find a combination that matches what they are looking for.

Best of luck to those who are still looking, and know that we (head-fi community) are here for you!

You are clearly in the honeymoon phase with your Little Dot and HD650. That is great, but don't forget to put things into perspective. I also own some of the solid state amps you own (mainly fiio e9k), and have also owned the Little Dot IV. While there may be certain differences between them, there is certainly no such magnificent difference as the HD650 going from 'nothing to write home about' to 'incredible'. I'm sure if you do some objective comparisons between e9 and little dot sometime in the future, you will find more than likely they are much more similar than they are different. In fact, that's the reason I don't even own the tube amp anymore.

I think if you feel the HD650 is lacking bass, it is either because your frame of reference is skewed or very limited, or you really have an extremely botched amp or dac.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #19,677 of 46,554

You are clearly in the honeymoon phase with your Little Dot and HD650. That is great, but don't forget to put things into perspective. I also own some of the solid state amps you own (mainly fiio e9k), and have also owned the Little Dot IV. While there may be certain differences between them, there is certainly no such magnificent difference as the HD650 going from 'nothing to write home about' to 'incredible'. I'm sure if you do some objective comparisons between e9 and little dot sometime in the future, you will find more than likely they are much more similar than they are different. In fact, that's the reason I don't even own the tube amp anymore.

I think if you feel the HD650 is lacking bass, it is either because your frame of reference is skewed or very limited, or you really have an extremely botched amp or dac.

Pretty much. I found little to no difference trying to a/b all my sources. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #19,678 of 46,554
Am I mad? My PX100II - modified with HD414 pads - and driven by my Clip+ isn't a million miles away from my HD650 powered by my 02. Certainly good enough for walking the dogs. The smoothness is there, although only with the HD414 pads.

I hope you are not mad! I've just ordered a pair of HD414 pads for my PX100 (not II) based on this.
See how they go walking my X3.
HD650s in my pocket, how cool would that be
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #19,679 of 46,554
I hope you are not mad! I've just ordered a pair of HD414 pads for my PX100 (not II) based on this.
See how they go walking my X3.
HD650s in my pocket, how cool would that be:bigsmile_face:

Well let's say they share the same characteristics & overall signature. They're certainly not twins but they could be brothers, if you get my meaning.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #19,680 of 46,554

might want to consider a better EQ tool. wouldn't matter much for that particular setting, but it never hurts to use the right tools and parametric is the way to go with digital EQ.

my last crazy EQ for hd650 would be a little difficult to get using foobar's default EQ ^_^

here is the file for easyQ if some are curious to hear the resulting mess(clic download unless you wanna copy the xml text yourself for some reasons): https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rkier422xo5eif/hd650-mytho-flat-rounded1.xml?dl=0
it's how I set it for the odac/O2 so mileage may vary.

I'm not saying it's the best, or even that it's flat but that's what I'm most comfortable with when the music is not rubbish. to me it sounds fairly balanced somehow.
for rubbish recordings, the original hd650's sound is the best there is, and I often go back to it for rap, poor guy punk rock or simply most modern day records.

when music is borderline sibilant I destroy the 3.5-4khz a little from that graph.
when I listen to classical or to good jazzy sound (understand with a drummer that isn't having a strength contest with the cymbals), then I get the 10khz back up a little(also how people wear the headphone might make them wanna tweak trebles a little more).
anyway, all this to say that there are always ways to subjectively improve a track, and a nice EQ can sure add the right spice to our daily soup. and in a way that will be more significant than +0.2db in the trebles from a cable.

funny thing is how much that EQ changes the imaging. like cymbals for me going a little more forward and up ^_^ dunno if it's from the so called phase effect, maybe some undesired crosstalk, or simply psychoachoustic 101 but the difference is obvious for me and in effect makes me listen to a different headphone. 2for the price of one woot!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

• JM
Back