Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #19,592 of 46,554
Sep 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #19,594 of 46,554
  ie60...

I was waiting for that response ... 
popcorn.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #19,595 of 46,554
hahah

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Westone W20's because they were on sale and I had never tried dual balanced armature IEMS before..

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #19,596 of 46,554
Just purchased my a pair of these, they sound great paired with a creative zxr and magni amp. Compared to my x1's they have much more depth, clarity and controlled bass, i never understood what peopel meant when the said the x1's had loose bass untill i got these.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #19,597 of 46,554
Welcome to the 650 club!!! 

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #19,598 of 46,554
IMO
DT880 600Ohms= less bass,more treble(sound brighter,thiner)
HD 650= more bass,better mids and less treble(sound thicker)
I prefer DT880 over HD650 because i like bright sound and i'am not a bass head but then again this is just me.

So if you enjoy the HD650 you're a bass head?

You have something against bass, in today's day and age? That's dinosaur audiophilia prejudice...not unlike being anti gay in today's day and age.

I brought up the HD650 in the new era audiophile bass lounge and it was unanimously rejected for not adhering to the strictest standards of bass transparency.

I like the HD650 not for its bass...but for its mids. You see, I realise I am not really a bass head either, but a mid head.

My priorities in a can is mids, bass then treble in that order. My brother being the bass head flips the bass and mids around but treble is always last in preference.

The HD650 is a mid lovers can.

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #19,599 of 46,554

You have something against bass, in today's day and age? That's dinosaur audiophilia prejudice...not unlike being anti gay in today's day and age.

I brought up the HD650 in the new era audiophile bass lounge and it was unanimously rejected for not adhering to the strictest standards of bass transparency.

I like the HD650 not for its bass...but for its mids. You see, I realise I am not really a bass head either, but a mid head.

My priorities in a can is mids, bass then treble in that order. My brother being the bass head flips the bass and mids around but treble is always last in preference.

I agree with all of this. :)

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #19,600 of 46,554
I occasionally will use my Q701's because the massive soundstage works really well with certain music genres but it's not long before I'm reaching for the 650's. They're not just more comfortable physically, the sound is like a comfy pair of slippers. There's just as much detail but it's delivered in a non-fatiguing way. They're my Desert Island headphones if you like.

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #19,601 of 46,554

IMO
DT880 600Ohms= less bass,more treble(sound brighter,thiner)
HD 650= more bass,better mids and less treble(sound thicker)
I prefer DT880 over HD650 because i like bright sound and i'am not a bass head but then again this is just me.

+1  The mids is where the music lives!

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #19,602 of 46,554
All the cans I enjoy give me something in the mids.  My K701 has nice uppermids, my Grado HF2 also has beautiful tubular uppermids with a nice sparkly treble.

But you see, a huge proportion of music out there revolves around middle C...this is HD650 territory.

Listen volume is also a key factor.  I personally cannot get into the music at below moderate volume, for those who do...anything goes because the reference goes out the window.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #19,604 of 46,554
  All the cans I enjoy give me something in the mids.  My K701 has nice uppermids, my Grado HF2 also has beautiful tubular uppermids with a nice sparkly treble.

But you see, a huge proportion of music out there revolves around middle C...this is HD650 territory.

Listen volume is also a key factor.  I personally cannot get into the music at below moderate volume, for those who do...anything goes because the reference goes out the window.

When I had the HD650 , I listened at moderate level.....with the HD800, I can turn it up aloy more and it sounds fantastic.

For low volume listening ....the grado RS1i can be listened to at very low volume and still retain detail, texture....best low volume can I have ever heard, bar none

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #19,605 of 46,554
  When I had the HD650 , I listened at moderate level.....with the HD800, I can turn it up aloy more and it sounds fantastic.

For low volume listening ....the grado RS1i can be listened to at very low volume and still retain detail, texture....best low volume can I have ever heard, bar none

Agreed with Grado, I only heard the HF2, but all of them built with this platform exhibit similar responses according to innerfidelity.

Someone else brought up earlier that his Q701s gave him tinnitus...the HD800, I recognise as the most articulate dynamic heaphone...but that one killed my ears at HD650 volume in 30 seconds.  So I try again at low volumes.  After a week of low volume, I was confronted with a major battle with tinnititus which subsided after several weeks hiatus from all headphone usage.

Perhaps it irritated an already damaged hearing system...who knows?

But I do know this...after using the Piston 2 iems exclusively on portables....going to my Portapros showed them to be too dark and muffled.  This happens repeatedly to me....the more I use headphones, the brighter I go.

But I always take a hiatus from headphones...often for many months (I engaged the head fi community far greater than actually using headphones at a ration of at least 100 to 1).  It is the return from these hiatuses that show up that the Portpros are a tad bright...the HD650 always wins the game on my return to headphones.

At this stage I have not fired up my HD650 or LCD2s for several months already.  Total time on my reference rig in these several months have been less than 15 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back