Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #14,926 of 46,570
Just checking in to say that after several years of novelty thrill experiences with various IEMs and cans, I am so delighted - in fact, ecstatic - to just enjoy music (and not headphones) again thanks to the HD650s. I still pick out details and impressive reproduction and so on but more in the sense of 'wow, I love this' than 'oh, check that out'. Despite the fact you can break it all down to science and precise measurements, there's a certain magic at play in the presentation. The only gimmick is 'everything sounds fantastic'.

Needless to say, this is through the stock BHC. I'll Speedball it one day but at the moment, and for the first period of time in several years, I want for nothing. I've even got over my HE500 wanderlust. If this is it until the grave, I couldn't ask for more.

Hey Great to hear you have your Crack up and running. Would I be correct in thinking you are UK based?

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #14,928 of 46,570
  Has anyone tried the HD650 with Bottlehead S.E.X.?

I use mine with a S.E.X. amp via a balanced cable, sounds wonderful to me
wink_face.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #14,929 of 46,570
I've got a pair of these coming soon and am looking into what I should pair with it. Are there any overview guides of what devices I should be getting with HD650s that hopefully has a comparison between the devices?

I've been recommended magni/modi, Aune, vali/modi and so many more, but I don't really know the differences between them and why I would want one over the other.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #14,930 of 46,570
Whats your budget for an amp/DAC?

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #14,931 of 46,570
I don't really know. $100-$200 would be preferred, but I'm fine paying more. That's why I really want to read the differences between them all when paired with the HD650. I doubt I'll be getting any other headphones in the near or even distant future, so I'm really curious the exact (ish) effects on the HD650s.

They will never leave my PC desk and will never need to go mobile.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #14,932 of 46,570
I don't really know. $100-$200 would be preferred, but I'm fine paying more. That's why I really want to read the differences between them all when paired with the HD650. I doubt I'll be getting any other headphones in the near or even distant future, so I'm really curious the exact (ish) effects on the HD650s.

They will never leave my PC desk and will never need to go mobile.
Vali/Modi.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #14,933 of 46,570
CEntrance is having a Christmas sale, and you can get the HiFi-M8 (portable DAC/Amp combo) at 30% off.  Just like their facebook page to see the code. I absolutely love my M8 with the HD650s...

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #14,934 of 46,570
Vali/Modi.

Thanks. I  was reading posts about the Vali and saw it mentioned athat there may be cell phone interference. There is going to two cell phones basically beside the device at all times... this sounds like an issue?

Can you expand on the differences between magni/modi, vali/modi and the Aune?

Also, do these ever go on sale or is there a specific price I should hope for before purchasing?

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #14,936 of 46,570
Hello,

I have some question about this headphone which can only be answered out of experience; so I appreciate if you could provide some answer to my in quires. 

I am looking for some information to see how fit this headphone is for listening to classical and melodies and movies sound tracks as main genre and Bluz, Pop, Rock and NewAge as second sent of genre that one may listen to?

Does this headphone fits well with the following amps, if none is matching, what amp is most suitable with this headphone? My source is my MacBook pro.

1. Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies 
  2. WA22
  3. WA2 
  4. Audio GD 15.32 dac/amp

Thank you.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #14,939 of 46,570

Does this headphone fits well with the following amps, if none is matching, what amp is most suitable with this headphone? My source is my MacBook pro.

1. Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies 
  2. WA22
  3. WA2 
  4. Audio GD 15.32 dac/amp

I've heard them with the wa22 and wa2 (and owned the wa3 for many years), and hd650's will be driven very nicely by all these amps.  The output transformerless (OTL) wa2/wa3 will sound a little fuller and tubier, with a bit more bloom in the bass.  Note that by virtue of being OTL's, these two are only really well suited for high impedance headphones - so you're basically limited to Senn's and Beyers.  The wa22, which uses output transformers and will drive a wider variety of headphones, still clearly sounds like a tube amp, but is more dynamic and a bit faster and more detailed than the woo OTL's.

That said, I'd recommend you build or buy a bottlehead crack, and add in a speedball at some point a month or two down the road.  It is a marvelous OTL kit that simply shines with hd650's/600's/800's etc.  More fun, detailed and dynamic than the woos to my ears, and with the speedball, really a more sophisticated circuit than wa2/wa3 because the tubes are supplied with constant current.  Since it is a kit, there's also room under the hood to add in a nice pair of film output caps, which do have a sonic impact and which you will not find in the woos.   

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #14,940 of 46,570
I am a new member to the "club"!  Got my HD650's on Saturday and have been breaking them in, but only with my iPhone4.  I have had a lot of medium to high-fi gear over the years but have most recently been through a down-grade phase.   All two channel and home theater and never any headphones though, so this is something new for me.

Placed my order today for a WA3 amp and a LOD cable for my iPhone.   I will use the iPhone4 or my ipod directly to the amp via the analog out or I will use an Airport Express (with it's built in DAC) until I can afford a dedicated DAC.    The headphones sound pretty decent directly via the iphone but I can hear they need more....volume is almost all the way up all the time.  I can't wait for my Christmas present to arrive, it should be here Thursday!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back