Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #13,668 of 46,554
I just got my 650's and I am using them with the newest Headstage arrow coming out of a HM602, I really like them so far. I can't tell if I prefer them over the K702 in terms of enjoyment, but I think these will be some great headphones to use with my current setup. 

I'm also looking for recommendations on balanced portable amps that would work well with the 650s, I prefer small gear since I haven't got the space for a lot of amps sitting around. I was thinking about the ALO RX MK3 B+, it looks like a fantastic amp but I've never tried it before. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #13,670 of 46,554
Hi everyone! New here! I picked up the HD650s and will be powering them with the O2 + ODAC combo for JDS labs.

This is a big jump for me from my trusty HD558s of 2 years, cannot wait!

Question - I read about hardware not being the end all of great sound and that the source (quality of file) is equally important. Most of my music is +256 kbps if that is what it is referring to, is that sufficient? Did they mean something else (unsure what else it could mean).

Newbie to the high end world, love any insight! :)

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #13,671 of 46,554
Welcome to head, "sorry about your wallet." 256 is okay, but you can appreciate hi res material even more on the hd650's. They will scale up very nicely with source. Better rips, better dac=better sounding 650's.

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #13,672 of 46,554
Wallet is crying as much as I am for the pain it had to go through. I believe my entry-level amp will be sufficient enough to power the HD650s and give me great sound for it's price and for what it is worth, most of the electronic dance music I listen to are 320 kbps although I frankly do not know what that means except that the 'quality' is better. Glad to be part of the club!

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #13,673 of 46,554
Just keep reading. Ask questions. Prepare for the ride. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #13,675 of 46,554
  Yep! Just want to confirm... MP3 file format and 320kbps = sufficient to put the HD650s to good use with a decent starter set-up? :D

Definitely.  Most of my music is 320 kbps and it sounds fantastic on my hd 650.  I think there's even been studies showing that the majority of people cannot tell the difference between 320 kbps MP3's and lossless files like FLAC.  Your mileage will vary though, everyone is different.  Regardless, you should have no problem enjoying your MP3's on the HD 650 :)

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #13,676 of 46,554

Definitely.  Most of my music is 320 kbps and it sounds fantastic on my hd 650.  I think there's even been studies showing that the majority of people cannot tell the difference between 320 kbps MP3's and lossless files like FLAC.  Your mileage will vary though, everyone is different.  Regardless, you should have no problem enjoying your MP3's on the HD 650 :)

+1. I've done some A/B blind testing on Foobar with 320 kbps ripped from FLACs... the difference is audible through my rig... but is honestly subtle. I have to actually be listening very carefully and using direct A/B. If it was just casual listening I doubt anyone would notice.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #13,677 of 46,554
Quick report on EQ again.

Love my 650s but one thing that has always bugged me about them is the occasional feeling of missing something in the recording that I could plainly hear on some of my other phones.  This missing "something" could be higher-pitched echoes, finger snaps, or that extra "bite" on violins. 

Playing around more with the digital EQ in Audirvana (and consulting the HD650 freq response curves) I have now settled on these "final" settings.  I'm really happy with the results- the "missing sounds" are now clearly audible and there is a very small tilt up in the tonal balance, but it's very pleasing and the overall sonic signature seems preserved.

I did not adjust the bass or mid bass region at all, mainly because I enjoy the 650s bass response just as it is.  Sure it could be a tad tighter and more extended- but tuneful, musical bass down to 40hz is inherently satisfying every time.  I've also found- so far- that any EQ mucking with the bass or mid bass region with my other headphones has been more harmful than good.

If others want to try these I'm curious as to reactions.  Also waiting on a Valhalla amp to hopefully take the sound of the 650s up another notch (currently using Audioquest Dragonfly).

Bryan

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #13,678 of 46,554

+1. I've done some A/B blind testing on Foobar with 320 kbps ripped from FLACs... the difference is audible through my rig... but is honestly subtle. I have to actually be listening very carefully and using direct A/B. If it was just casual listening I doubt anyone would notice.

Thanks a lot folks! Yeah, I am no 'true' audiophile and frankly will probably never notice the difference, as long as I do not need to convert my entire library to FLAC or similar to get the most out of the HD650s, that was my primary concern. Now I really cannot wait for them to get to my house next week! :D

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #13,679 of 46,554
I just love these freaking cans. The headphone journey is such a strange thing...I should have known that I would wind up with a pair of these when I first told myself, upon reading a few threads around Head-Fi, that I would never become one of these crazy geeks with huge open headphones and amps and huge systems, and looked at the HD650 user reviews, thinking "If I ever buy those, that's when I'll know I've gone too far."

Yep.

....but I swear, after I get one really good desktop source, I'll be done...

ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back