Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #13,126 of 46,554
Have any of you guys happened to had the chance to try the HD650s with an NFB-11.32 with ESS9018 DAC?  This is my current setup right now and am quite happy with it, but am heavily considering picking up a Bottlehead crack + speedball and probably a Hifimediy sabre dac if it'd be a huge improvement over my current setup.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #13,127 of 46,554
Quote:
I didn't love the HD650 w/ the Valhalla. I thought it was surprisingly bright, depending on the track. For me...it was, meh. Wish I could hear it with the Crack! 

I heard the 650 on the crack at the Atlanta meet. It was very good but about comparable to the lyr with good tubes. Just depends on what you're after and which direction you like to go. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #13,129 of 46,554
Can anyone recommend a good silver cable for the HD650 for around $100 USD? preferably only 5-6ft.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #13,130 of 46,554
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good silver cable for the HD650 for around $100 USD? preferably only 5-6ft.

Gonna be tough for you to get silver for that price... the materials cost alone would be pretty high. You'd have better chance with SPC. I know BTG audio has some very decent prices. You might wanna check that out. Otherwise, you'd have to check the For Sale/Trade forum here for a used one. Nobody I can think of sells pure silver cable for that cheap.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #13,131 of 46,554
Quote:

Even SPC is going to be $150 through BTG and others.  Used might be your only option.

FYI, I got my cable from them but haven't had the chance to listen to them yet.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #13,132 of 46,554
Quote:

Even SPC is going to be $150 through BTG and others.  Used might be your only option.

FYI, I got my cable from them but haven't had the chance to listen to them yet.

Yeah they look like a good option, i'll probably spring for a few extra $ and get it new from them.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #13,133 of 46,554
Quote:
Was it with speedball or not, Matt?
And what are the strength of each? I guess it would be slam for Lyr?

Honestly, I wasn't able to audition for more than about 15 minutes which was not enough to formulate any real opinion on. At the time I remember being impressed with it because for transparency and "layered" sound (no pun intended). The lyr did have more bass slam and sounded more lush. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #13,134 of 46,554
I'll reply back to Matt's post because it was my amp he listened too - it does have the speedball, but I did not have "high zoot" tubes in it. Matt listened to a Tung-sol 6189 (12au7) from New Sensor corp, an actual brand new tube made in Russia, and a NOS power tube a 6h13C "winged C" 6AS7G type tube, also from Russia. This was not the best tube combination that I have heard in this amp, but when going to a meet, the last thing anyone is interested in is listening to 50-60 year old tubes that hum and are microphonic, and all my old stock tubes, so far, are in that category.  These newer tubes are clean and sound good, but not the best that the amp can do.  Since the meet I picked up an RCA 6AS7GA that is quiet like the 6H13C, and even this tube improves the sound to my ear.   

Ron 

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #13,135 of 46,554
I am sure this has been addressed but I have not seen the answer so please bear with me.
I have heard that the 650's are dark and that the 600's are the way to go and with that said
I see a lot more 650's for sale than the 600's. My preference is tubes in my 2 channel system
and my source is analog, tt. I don't like the fatigue you suffer with bright sounding systems.
It could be said that detail manifests itself as brightness and I don't know that I concur. Looking 
for some thoughts about this. thanks

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #13,136 of 46,554
Quote:
I am sure this has been addressed but I have not seen the answer so please bear with me.
I have heard that the 650's are dark and that the 600's are the way to go and with that said
I see a lot more 650's for sale than the 600's. My preference is tubes in my 2 channel system
and my source is analog, tt. I don't like the fatigue you suffer with bright sounding systems.
It could be said that detail manifests itself as brightness and I don't know that I concur. Looking 
for some thoughts about this. thanks

I know its easy to worry about the differences, especially on Head-Fi.  But all in all these two headphones are far more similar then different.  These phones were an evolution of a sound, and not bipolar.  The HD650s are warmer/creamier then the HD600s, but not in piles. More like tablespoons.  There is more treble emphasis in the HD600, but again tablespoons.  The tubes, I think, would address your concerns of fatigue for more then going back and forth between these two particular set of cans...

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #13,137 of 46,554
Quote:

I know its easy to worry about the differences, especially on Head-Fi.  But all in all these two headphones are far more similar then different.  These phones were an evolution of a sound, and not bipolar.  The HD650s are warmer/creamier then the HD600s, but not in piles. More like tablespoons.  There is more treble emphasis in the HD600, but again tablespoons.  The tubes, I think, would address your concerns of fatigue for more then going back and forth between these two particular set of cans...

+1... haven't owned the HD600 myself, but auditioning at a meet confirmed that they indeed share more similarities than differences and both are great cans.

IMHO... if you have the cash and don't mind the extra $50-100, grab the HD 650 (to my ears they are just more musical, possibly considered more "coloured", but that's slightly what makes them so) if you want the better bargain and can find an HD 600 for significantly cheaper than the HD 650, go for it! Ultimately, I would find it tough for you to be displeased with either (can happen though to some... but usually not if you've done your homework looking at some reputable reviews
wink.gif
).

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #13,139 of 46,554
i try to avoid hd650 with paint chipped on the headband, this can is v prone to that :p 
( when it comes to reselling, a mint set is a PLUS ! ) 
tongue.gif

about the darkvoice, i bought half a dozen of tubes, and must say the sound signature changed a fair bit
according to the diff combos...some are more spatial, some more bodacious...funstuff.
I find the LYR too energetic for my ears, the darkvoice has more blooom ..just a personal thang. 

i wouldnt mind  silverplated copper(spc)  on the hd650, the brightness is a good counter to the famous "veil" ...
cant afford pure silvers. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #13,140 of 46,554
Quote:
Thanks for the info, seems like the 650's are a better deal on the used
market. Is there anything to look out for when buying used?
Are the Cardas cable a worthwhile upgrade? Thanks

I don't see that many "great" deals on used 650. Actually, I see many deals where guys are asking retail which I really don't understand. The logical choice IMO is $385 shipped from razordogdeals brand new in box from authorized seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back