Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #12,001 of 46,553
Quote:
Of course. Silver has brighter color than copper so it has to sound brighter than a copper cable. 
wink.gif

No muxamed, I believe you've got that wrong. The relationship is inversely proportionate: the brighter the colour the darker the sound. That's why diamond cables sound darker than graphite cables (which are more electrically conductive) despite both consisting of carbon. 
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #12,002 of 46,553
It's a dark art....
The way to reach nirvana is to buy a pair of this silver cable on the buysell forum...
Plug it in n meditate over the three songs u love...
Wait for the alchemy to work.
:D
If u like the sound, keep it
If u dun like the sound, sell it.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #12,004 of 46,553
Quote:
It's a dark art....
The way to reach nirvana is to buy a pair of this silver cable on the buysell forum...
Plug it in n meditate over the three songs u love...
Wait for the alchemy to work.
biggrin.gif

If u like the sound, keep it
If u dun like the sound, sell it.

There's something to be said for this method. For me, I seem to be able to appreciate the difference most when I listen to some piece of gear for weeks/months and then make that one change, whether it be a cable or an amp. My brain seems to fool me when I try to A/B.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #12,005 of 46,553
Yes that's wat I do too.....
I let my current gears gestate for 3 to 6 months,
Meanwhile I frantically work part time for that 50bucks extra a month.
Then I take a blind/calculated shot in the buysell forum:rolleyes:
Then let the alchemy works.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #12,006 of 46,553
Quote:
Does silver cables make the hd650 sound brighter?

Before you switch cables, try removing the foam piece between the drivers and your ears to see if you like that change.

IMO, the sound will open up more with the "de-foam mod" than switching cables...and it's free.

YMMV.

beerchug.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #12,007 of 46,553
Quote:
Yes that's wat I do too.....
I let my current gears gestate for 3 to 6 months,
Meanwhile I frantically work part time for that 50bucks extra a month.
Then I take a blind/calculated shot in the buysell forum:rolleyes:
Then let the alchemy works.

I have a question for you, is english not your first language?

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #12,008 of 46,553
Oh my... I always thought the idea that a headphone's sound would change by adjusting the gain on the amp was balony, but... just now I was feeling a little dissatisfied with my HD-650's bass output, and when I realized the gain was at the 10db level, I kicked it up a couple of notches to the 20db level, and the bass all of a sudden opened up. 

Am I imagining things? I must admit I'm adjusting the volume by hand to level the volumes when comparing different gain levels. But the difference definitely seems there (and that's why I'm asking here just to confirm!). 

It's not like the bass got an immediate bump, as if I was EQing them, but, the bass just seems little more forward, and seems like a more "there". Does anyone share similar experiences? Observations? Btw, I'm using a Matrix M-Stage amp. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #12,010 of 46,553
Yea... before you posted that I just noticed the sound is a little/tiny bit muddier... but, I can't tell if it's just because I'm not used to it, or... if it indeed is more murky. Yet, turning the gain back down sounds anemic in the bass department again. :frowning2: 

I guess I'll have to do more fiddling around. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #12,011 of 46,553
Quote:
Yea... before you posted that I just noticed the sound is a little/tiny bit muddier... but, I can't tell if it's just because I'm not used to it, or... if it indeed is more murky. Yet, turning the gain back down sounds anemic in the bass department again. :frowning2: 

I guess I'll have to do more fiddling around. 

Amps have lower distortion at higher gain than on low, that is until they are clipping, but right before they clip is when they perform optimally. So, running at low gain is not recommended except if it gets too loud otherwise or if you get clipping if you do it. You can't miss clipping, it's very audible  :)

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #12,013 of 46,553
Where did you hear that amps have lower distortion at higher gains?  

Gain on amps sets the level of strength at the pre-amp stage.  It's physically impossible to lower the distortion of the input signal the more you alter it before amplification at the power amp section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back