Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #11,881 of 46,554
I have owned 3 planars and demoed another, and I somewhat agree. The Hifiman planars don't have an amazing soundstage. The LCD2 has a smaller soundstage, but it sounds more natural, with better depth. The HD650 has a traditional open dynamic soundstage which is very good. Not great, but very good. The LCD2 sounds more dimensional than the HD650, though not as open and wide.

Just my two cents.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #11,882 of 46,554
Quote:
I have been eyeing the HD650s for a while because it is in my comfort zone for my budget and I like its open, airy, dark and warm sound signature quite a bit.
I love everything abt it, except that it sometimes can't have enough oomph for my electronic music. Is there any ways to solve my problem or should I look at 
other cans? I auditioned it with this setup: iMac>Naim Dac>RSA Darkstar>HD650 (Unbalanced). 

Btw, I dun like to EQ my cans. 

What I would most likely pair it with is either 4S>CLAS>Pico Power or PC>USB DAC>Asgard 2/Graham Slee Novo or 4S/PC>iFi iDac> iFi iCan.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I like to listen to electronica a lot with the HD-650. And, as much as I love the HD-650, I'm sorry to say, if you're specifically looking for that extra "oomph", I'm not sure you'll find it with the HD-650. I personally love electronica with the HD-650, because I love all those mid-focused synthesizer parts... which, since they're mids, the HD-650 happens to do really, really well. So I personally have no problem with electronica on the HD-650. 

But if you're specifically looking for bigger bass impact, I'm not sure there is much you can do. 

I have admit, however, that I don't have much experience with pairing the HD-650 with other amps and DACs, so it certainly is possible getting different sources, may help with the bass. Maybe other people may chime in with their experiences? I know user yokken listens to electronica a lot, and has a pair of HD-650's as well. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #11,883 of 46,554
Quote:
The other standout? You probably guessed it, the HD650! I have only heard the HD518, HD598, and HD600 until today. And on all of them I heard the ignominious "veil". They have just lacked a true sense of transparency to my ears, and I just didn't get Sennheisers. Well, I can officially say that I am a Sennheiser believer now, after hearing the HD650 on the Lyr! Wow! Everything I had read about this headphone but not quite believed turned out to be true. It is natural sounding. It does have drop-dead amazing mids. It does not sound veiled. It is a forgiving and easy listen, but without sounding boring! - This especially was a surprise. I had until today believed that a smooth sounding headphone could not also be engaging. Well, the HD650 pulls both off, somehow. And, for me this was very important, the bass slam was great! This headphone manages to be a forgiving, easy listen while having the slam and dynamics to engage on even the aggressive rock and metal I love! I don't even know what to say about that - it's something I have not experienced in any other headphone.

I even got to A/B with the HE-500 briefly (on the Lyr), a headphone that I have more familiarity and experience with. And...well, the HD650 honestly sounds more natural. Am I the only one who thinks planars have a strange soundstage presentation? The HD650's soundstage presentation is great! And the mids? Yeah, no comparison for me. The HD650's mids presentation was much more natural, engaging, and enjoyable than the HE-500's. Now I still appreciate the HE-500 for the many things it does so well! But...the HD650, wow. I am seriously considering getting this headphone.

So yeah, I may be joining the ranks in the near future, HD650 owners! I understand now, forgive me it took this long!

Agreed : - ) Soundstage was one of reasons why I sold HE-400 and also those mids on HD650 was much better to my ears.

Now after some time with T1 , I feel like only thing I'am missing with HD650 is more transparent sparky treble. But hey it's different league.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #11,884 of 46,554
Agreed : - ) Soundstage was one of reasons why I sold HE-400 and also those mids on HD650 was much better to my ears.

Now after some time with T1 , I feel like only thing I'am missing with HD650 is more transparent sparky treble. But hey it's different league.

Really? Thats like one of the main reasons why I like the HE400s (with Alpha Pads though). Makes me feel like im in a movie theater and I love pinpointing where cymbals are (like for ex. Theyd be at 1 o clock and would be behind the other instruments for some trance / house songs). The excessive treble definitely could be better, same for the mids.

Im wanting to demo the HD650 before my return period is up though but theres nowhere under 400 without a ~10% restocking fee. Afraid the imaging and bass wont be up to my standards, though I love the ES3X (balanced spectrum) bass as equally as the HE400. Wanting to hear female vocals on it too but I also prefer balanced or very slightly rolled off treble.

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #11,885 of 46,554
Quote:
Really? Thats like one of the main reasons why I like the HE400s (with Alpha Pads though). Makes me feel like im in a movie theater and I love pinpointing where cymbals are (like for ex. Theyd be at 1 o clock and would be behind the other instruments for some trance / house songs). The excessive treble definitely could be better, same for the mids.

Im wanting to demo the HD650 before my return period is up though but theres nowhere under 400 without a ~10% restocking fee. Afraid the imaging and bass wont be up to my standards, though I love the ES3X (balanced spectrum) bass as equally as the HE400. Wanting to hear female vocals on it too but I also prefer balanced or very slightly rolled off treble.

Female volcals is one of best HD650 attributes :) As for soundstage it depends on what you prefer I like forward Grado like style. HD650 isn't that forward, but I'am absolutely happy when I turn volume little higher.

Treble is pretty crazy imo on HE-400, can't stand it at higher volumes and I wasn't able EQ it down. As for mids it just doesn't give me the feeling I'am looking for :frowning2:

In the end you just have to hear those headphones to make your opinion.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #11,886 of 46,554
Quote:

I've found that all the planars I've auditioned image quite well which is the pinpointing to which you refer.  On the other hand they don't seem to produce large soundstages.  

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #11,888 of 46,554
Quote:
Anybody noe of hps with the same level of sq as the hd650 but with added bass. Like someone mentioned earlier it just don't have the bass oomph for elec. music but I really like this Hp!

its sole purpose is awesome mids and recessed sub bass and treble... maybe you would like he400 or d2000 better as they are all near each other in terms of sound quality but with more bass....

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #11,889 of 46,554
its sole purpose is awesome mids and recessed sub bass and treble... maybe you would like he400 or d2000 better as they are all near each other in terms of sound quality but with more bass....

Well Hifiman isn't exactly available in my country and te shrill highs ppl mention scares me. In fact, I have compared the d5000 and the hd650, the d5000 is not as clear sounding (blanket covered type of sound) and is more ex to but with a more acceptable bass response. That's why I am considering the d7000 which I supposed to clear up the mufflenes but possibly be too bright. I also hear that the m100 is like a closed hd650, sounds interesting too, but will still keep the hd650 on my list. Just love the tastefully darkened sound.

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #11,890 of 46,554
Quote:
Well Hifiman isn't exactly available in my country and te shrill highs ppl mention scares me. In fact, I have compared the d5000 and the hd650, the d5000 is not as clear sounding (blanket covered type of sound) and is more ex to but with a more acceptable bass response. That's why I am considering the d7000 which I supposed to clear up the mufflenes but possibly be too bright. I also hear that the m100 is like a closed hd650, sounds interesting too, but will still keep the hd650 on my list. Just love the tastefully darkened sound.

yeah, d7k is the best of denon so that might quench your thirst... also there is another headphone

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626971/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-edition

i think it has more sub bass than the hd650 also and also more treble which means more balanced...

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #11,891 of 46,554
Quote:
Anybody noe of hps with the same level of sq as the hd650 but with added bass. Like someone mentioned earlier it just don't have the bass oomph for elec. music but I really like this Hp!

I think that you're looking for the lcd2.2 
size]

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #11,892 of 46,554
Quote:

Beyerdynamic T1 :) Bass impact and just bass overall is amazing on these, SQ is higher than HD650 imo.

But as for HD650 bass ... there is plenty of it, even sub bass, just add little EQ and that's it if you like these headphones.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #11,893 of 46,554
Hmm...I have not heard the T1 but have owned the dt770/880/990. They all had a V curve so I assumed that the T1 would be similar. 

I agree with Flisker about the bass on the 650. But may be plenty of sub bass for us may not be enough for you. 
size]

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #11,894 of 46,554
Quote:

I'm from Singapore too and Hifiman can be found if you head to the Adelphi and look around on the first floor, I remember a shop selling the HE-500 and HE-6. I also have tried the Denon line of Hps and the recessed mids are quite the opposite of the 650's mids. If you're looking for the 650 and wishing for more bass, they respond quite well to an EQ and you can crank the bass up quite a bit before distortion sets in.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #11,895 of 46,554
I haven't been on this site for years but the hd650 is still the king phone!....with double the hits here as the hd800 thread? It's crazy! Not much has changed.

My 650 has been sitting in the top of a cupboard for five years or more due to natural selection. Imo its hardly worth the effort to sell this kind of stuff...more fun to get it out for a comparison every few years.

It was the bass of the 650 which was the big let down for me. I really loved everything else, but that weak bass reminded me of listening to a gigantic tight paper coned horn speaker with a teeny little magnet and barely any travel.

Apart from the bass they're a great phone though.

My amp etc is fne. Any tips on how to enjoy them would be great. I like DIY modding. Any simple mods to tighten and deepen that bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back