Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #9,408 of 46,554
HDTracks have a 24/88.2 Sophie Milman album. I'm a fan of her voice.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #9,409 of 46,554
Amazon coupon back up for grabs again. 10% off 500. Guy I sent it to decided against his purchase.

Want to send it to someone on here to help them get the HD650. Only requirement is you PM me the order confirm so I can see it went to good use. Same as before. :D

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #9,410 of 46,554
Quote:
Amazon coupon back up for grabs again. 10% off 500. Guy I sent it to decided against his purchase.
Want to send it to someone on here to help them get the HD650. Only requirement is you PM me the order confirm so I can see it went to good use. Same as before.
biggrin.gif

Never thought I'd see the day that it would be this hard to give something away
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #9,411 of 46,554
I want to convey my opinion on my HD650 I got just a week back. I have read all the reviews criticism and everything and tested my cans
through all kind of music. I do not have a expensive setup but I have customised it to deliver the best.

My setup on my mac-> FLAC/mp3(320kbps) -> Audinirvana -> Audio Hijack Pro (Add a Lowshelf Filter to amplify the lower frequencies which will improve the bass)
-> Fiio E7(will replace by E10) -> E9 (high gain mode) -> HD650

And i would say I am more than satisfied by the sound production of HD650. Clarity and authenticity of sound signature of different instruments are wonderful.
If I am not satisfied with the bass of some tracks I will notch up the Lowshelf Filter a lil to improve. Other than that I have no complains whatsoever. With future
upgrades I am excited that sound will improve further.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #9,412 of 46,554
Amp question for the HD650.

How does the Little Dot MkIII compare to other tube amps like the Schiit Lyr, ALO Pan Am, Woo Audio WA3, etc?

I am using the Little Dot MkIII at the moment, however, a lot of ppl seem to give high praises to the Lyr/HD650 pairing. For those who have tried different amps, is the Little Dot MkIII comparable to the Schiit Lyr, or are they totally in different leagues?

I have $500 to spend on my headphone setup, so just wondering if I should upgrade my amp or DAC (HRT MSII). For the DAC, I'll probably make a decision after I spend sometime comparing between the HRT MSII, DragonFly and Rega DAC I have at home to see if different DACs do make a difference for the HD650.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #9,413 of 46,554
IMO opinion always upgrade in this order: hp>amp>dac. So I wouldn't worry too much about the dac unless you are having jitter or playback issues. I have owned several of the LD amps and the lyr is much better to my ears. I have not owned any of the others that you mention although I hear that the Woo stuff is very nice. The lyr has curbed my appetite to get newer amps. It's just a beast of a pairing. 

gL!!

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #9,414 of 46,554
Thanks MattTCG. Might have to get myself to a Schiit dealer here in Oz to listen to the Lyr.

At the moment, I'm comparing the 3 DACs I have, DragonFly, HRT MSII, and Rega DAC. And on the Rega DAC, my headphone setup has not sounded better. The HD650 do indeed scale up depending on the source. Unfortunately, the Rega DAC can't stay with the headphone setup as it is needed in the main system.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #9,415 of 46,554
Quote:

Never thought I'd see the day that it would be this hard to give something away
tongue_smile.gif

It is a sweet gesture for sure, but not everybody has $500 to spend on a whim like that. Especially this close to the holidays.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #9,418 of 46,554
Dec 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #9,419 of 46,554
Quote:
IMO opinion always upgrade in this order: hp>amp>dac. So I wouldn't worry too much about the dac unless you are having jitter or playback issues. I have owned several of the LD amps and the lyr is much better to my ears. I have not owned any of the others that you mention although I hear that the Woo stuff is very nice. The lyr has curbed my appetite to get newer amps. It's just a beast of a pairing. 

gL!!

I though tit was in the exact opposite order 
redface.gif

I upgraded my dac once and it actually made me go from despising a HP/amp combo to kinda liking it (amp still wasn't my taste but it was a lot better still). Then again, it was from a FiiO E7 (~$100) to a PS Audio DLIII (then retail $800, $500 used). I think if you want higher quality sound (not a SS change) and your headphones aren't obviously the limiting factor an amp or DAC upgrade may be good to try first. Especially with the 650s :wink:

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #9,420 of 46,554
For me, it's: HP, Amp, DAC. The headphone is obviously the most significant aspect of sound. The amp further colors the sound and provides the juice. The DAC, I have found to be the least likely to affect sound, assuming the DAC isn't a pile of crap. So many DACs, and they all sounded good, but basically the same. Well, the E7 was the worst. Just not a very good DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back