Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #7,756 of 46,514
The only thing i really appreciate about hd650 for now is the price of $225 shipped with like new condition.They are about to arrive next week so i was excited.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #7,757 of 46,514
Quote:
The only thing i really appreciate about hd650 for now is the price of $225 shipped with like new condition.They are about to arrive next week so i was excited.
smily_headphones1.gif

From the FS forum? damn good deal. No idea how long they last though.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #7,758 of 46,514
@longbowbbs, that is a great album, I also find track 4 The Changeling to be amazing. His other album form 2004 was called Sub Conscious and it is pretty sick as well. @RushNerd, the 650s are very nice even with electronica, but for the micro-level transients that electronica is full of the 880s just provide a window of clarity. There is less bass with the 880s, but it seems to be more able to differentiate notes than can the 650. That is why I own both cans, sort of the ying and yang thing happening. There are things that the 650s can do better so it is just a matter of knowing when and where I use them. I am 100% glad that I purchased the 650s and now I want to look into the Denons.

Here is another artists I came across recently, this guy is out of the Northwest, Oregon I think. He calls himself Bluetech. Very nice stuff.

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #7,760 of 46,514
Quote:

Here is another artists I came across recently, this guy is out of the Northwest, Oregon I think. He calls himself Bluetech. Very nice stuff.

Interesting....I think I like primitive better, but there is a lot going on in this piece. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #7,762 of 46,514
interesting point, Mr Crazy 
biggrin.gif

I remember someone mentioned before that the he-6 responds so well with eq to the point that with the right tweaking you can have it mimic the sig of Grado or he 400/500. 
I haven't had a chance to listen to fully powered he-6 or eq it a lot. Have you successful tried to eq it mimic the sound of he400 and hd 650 ? 
The hd 650 responds well with amp changing but not so much with eq and I don't like the idea to own several headphones since no matter how much I love them I only have a pair of ears and a small wallet 
frown.gif

Quote:

My brain would unhinge itself from two conflicting counter-imperatives, and I would become comatose.
frown.gif

If I had to pick only one....it would probably be HE-6....presuming I could keep my EQ with it to make it laid back when I want it to be.  Otherwise I'd have to pick based on if I wanted to keep the one better for prolonged listening or the one better to reproduce a concert one CD at a time
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #7,763 of 46,514
Quote:
interesting point, Mr Crazy 
biggrin.gif

I remember someone mentioned before that the he-6 responds so well with eq to the point that with the right tweaking you can have it mimic the sig of Grado or he 400/500. 
I haven't had a chance to listen to fully powered he-6 or eq it a lot. Have you successful tried to eq it mimic the sound of he400 and hd 650 ? 
The hd 650 responds well with amp changing but not so much with eq and I don't like the idea to own several headphones since no matter how much I love them I only have a pair of ears and a small wallet 
frown.gif

X2
xzobinx i am in the same league as yours.
But maybe a nice extra pair of Koss Pro DJ100 or similar won't be bad ,won't it be?
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #7,764 of 46,514
I have m80 for outdoor and when I want to listen to some mainstream pop and rnb but at home there's no contest here hd 650 99% head time. Main reason is at home I prefer to listen to jazz vocal and sax which hd 650 is quite hard to beat and I'm just lazy to change the headphone 
biggrin.gif
 If some electronic stuffs pop out of no where I either let it be or change the song. The final 1% just when I need m80 mic for skype. 

To be honest, I think the reason I tried to find a flagship is due to my bad habit. I'm just curious what is the best out there and want somewhat different flavour. But none has the flavour I want so far. I can hear the better resolution and clarity but that's just for critical listening, when I actually listen to enjoy, the tone is the one rules. Get that right plus personal preference and even the koss portapro can beat some thing like T1 
Quote:
X2
xzobinx i am in the same league as yours.
But maybe a nice extra pair of Koss Pro DJ100 or similar won't be bad ,won't it be?
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #7,765 of 46,514
Well after very fast shipping, the 650's arrived today, and damn is that some A+ packaging! Why doesn't everyone give you a case like this?

Anyway, I fired them up and immediately noticed how snug and well fitted they are, polar opposite of my denons, but I actually prefer this makes it so they disappear. High-pitched sounds are very well represented so far, nice soundstage for sure but not mind blowing.

As expected the low-end certainly needs some serious help. Sounds pretty good neutral but it's not nearly enough for me. I noticed they are not nearly as sensitive to the 32Hz band as my denons are, it has a subtle effect on the overall sound and you need to crank it to really hear the difference in that band. The 64Hz band is were these cans seem to hide all of their bass, I move this band almost all the way up in iTunes. It does seem like overkill, but boosting it this much actually gets them to the level where they have impact and I really like that (some 32hz a LOT of 64hz and a pinch of 125hz). The downside here is that I have to -6Db to the EQ preamp (more or less) on itunes so it won't distort, but I have to turn it up louder and the asgard needs to be cranked to get these things to work like this (3 o clock if I really want to rock it with the EQ on).

With the low-end attuned, i'm pretty surprised at the bass, if it was a closed can (or covering the grills with my palms) it would be almost like the denons i'm thinking. 

Also I think it's pretty cool that when you put them on your hearing is almost unaffected, these are really open cans. Will report more latter, i'm pretty happy with these so far, gotta find my groove with them still.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #7,766 of 46,514

I tried a bunch of my normal "test" songs, but a while later I tried this (flac, no turntable for my vinyl :frowning2: , and I see what the 650's are about. wow.

I a-b'ed with my d5k's it is similar, but the acoustics don't have that breath and life that the 650's. For the 650s not being overly "bright" they sure as hell project 12 strings nice.Might just have to sell the 5k's omg and I love low end!

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #7,767 of 46,514
Quote:

I tried a bunch of my normal "test" songs, but a while later I tried this (flac, no turntable for my vinyl :frowning2: , and I see what the 650's are about. wow.

I a-b'ed with my d5k's it is similar, but the acoustics don't have that breath and life that the 650's. For the 650s not being overly "bright" they sure as hell project 12 strings nice.Might just have to sell the 5k's omg and I love low end!

This is one of the best prog rock albums in history, with wonderful guitar sounds courtesy Steve Howe's guitar collection (recorded with mike on amp in studio) and terrific band arrangements. Some hiss and flaws, but inspired and alive. I'm going to run it through my HD600 right now.

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #7,768 of 46,514
Quote:
I hear you.

I've come to the same conclusion as well.

The thing about the HD650 that makes is magical to me is that it is detailed... but not too analytical.

The HD800 and HifiMans are very, very good. In fact they are probably better headphones than the HD650. No wait - they are better headphones.

But the thing is that they are SO good that they tend to pick apart the music into tiny, tiny molecules.

Something that the artist just intended to be a "wall of sound" now becomes a bling there, a bleep there, a hiss there.

It can all become very fatiguing when I'm not in the mood for analytical listening.

Which is when I return to my trusty HD650s and just enjoy the music.

Sit back, relax, let your worries disappear - isn't that what music is all about?
smile.gif

I don't find harshness to be a good thing. Music is to be enjoyed and not analysed; cold, microscopic detail isn't fun for most people.

You're right that the Senns are detailed without being robotic, and you're right that there's better headphones, but I also agree that they're very warm and pleasant.

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #7,769 of 46,514
Quote:

Welcome to the party!

beerchug.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #7,770 of 46,514
I've had my HD-650's for a couple of weeks now and love them - figured this is the appreciation thread so I would post about how much I appreciate them!
biggrin.gif
  They don't sound "dark" to me whatsoever.  I had the Grado 325i's whch I recently sold and I guess the Senns would sound dark in comparison but they are also a lot more natural-sounding.  The Grado's were too bright. It's really easy to just sit there and listen for a long time because they're not in the least bit fatiguing - just clear and natural. They also fit my head, too. I was worried they might be like a vise but they are comfortable.  I decided to sell my HD-580's... now if someone would buy those that would add to the happiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back