Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #7,711 of 46,514
Quote:
I will post some impressions, and I would interested in Mad Dog compare with D5000 as well. 

You got it! Although MattTCG has both and definitely has an impression.

I'd LOVE some Mad Dog and 65 comparisons, I was thinking about getting those too. I've heard many good things but haven't seen any straight comparisons to the 650.

I have a feeling the 650 comparison would be more fair than the d5000 one, but I could be wrong.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #7,712 of 46,514
Hey guys, I stopped following this thread a while back because of all the flame wars. I decided to drop back in to let you guys know I wrote a second review of the HD650's. The first one being a comparative review between the HD650 and the SR-202 (which you can find here).

I tried to make it as clear and concise as possible without leaving anything out, and I'd like to think I succeeded, but your opinion is always welcome.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #7,715 of 46,514
Quote:
No. Because it isn't done yet. DON'T REMIND ME.
mad.gif

Aww - I feel your pain.  Same with my Dynahi.  Not done yet.

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #7,717 of 46,514
Quote:
Except yours is probably less than 10 months old. I seriously doubt I'll finish it before the 1-year mark, lol.

popcorn.gif

blink.gif

popcorn.gif

confused_face.gif
    ooooOld stale popcorn......
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #7,718 of 46,514
Quote:
Hey guys, I stopped following this thread a while back because of all the flame wars. I decided to drop back in to let you guys know I wrote a second review of the HD650's. The first one being a comparative review between the HD650 and the SR-202 (which you can find here).
I tried to make it as clear and concise as possible without leaving anything out, and I'd like to think I succeeded, but your opinion is always welcome.

I think your review smells of donkey balls - clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Only kidding! lol
wink_face.gif
  Great review, very informative and balanced!

I can honestly say that while I like the way the HD650 sounds I don't think I'd be such a big if it wasn't so comfortable.

There's something very relaxing about the HD650, like slipping into a favorite pair of well used shoes. Comfortable, and with a relaxing sound, and yet does everything so well.

I think comfort is one of those big secret things which we pretend doesn't effect our judgment of how it sounds while in reality it effects quite a bit!

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #7,719 of 46,514
Quote:

Hi Tilpo,

Nice review. Really surprised you find the mids get overshadowed by the bass. I actually find the mids the strong point of the HD650s. I was listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan's Tin Pan Alley the other day and the guitars and drums sounded amazing. I guess that's why audio is all about opinions. Not saying you're wrong because everyone's tastes are their own and are also very influenced by whatever else they listen to.

Also, now that I think about it, I was using a custom cable (silver-plated copper) which sharpens up the bass response and maybe allows the mids to come forward more than the stock cable which is a tad slow.

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #7,720 of 46,514
Quote:
Hi Tilpo,

Nice review. Really surprised you find the mids get overshadowed by the bass. I actually find the mids the strong point of the HD650s. I was listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan's Tin Pan Alley the other day and the guitars and drums sounded amazing. I guess that's why audio is all about opinions. Not saying you're wrong because everyone's tastes are their own and are also very influenced by whatever else they listen to.

Also, now that I think about it, I was using a custom cable (silver-plated copper) which sharpens up the bass response and maybe allows the mids to come forward more than the stock cable which is a tad slow.

I got a little bass bleed on my HD-650 when I had it. Could have been my crappy DAC or source. This was with basically any CD player too. Maybe it was just on very warm recordings or something.
I actually didn't realize this until I EQed down the bass. Since I have a new DAC I want to try it again when it drops to $320. ODAC should be nice with it.

Does anyone find this song congested sounding on the HD-650? This is one track that sounds bad (IMO) on very warm headphones. Even on the HD-600!
The best i've heard that album was on the ATH-AD2000.

I guess mid-bass humps annoy me, but I do love the HD-650 for female vocals. Even more so than the HD-600. I'm probably a semi treble-head, so that's maybe why I never loved the 650.
For my preferences the HD-650 would only sound best to me on dead neutral gear.

BTW I wonder what the HD-600 cable does for the HD-650. copper is copper right?
biggrin.gif
The HD-650 cable seems similar to Canare.

The first HD-650 I had sounded great. It had paint defects and the one I got in return sounding considerably worse
frown.gif

NOTE: I have limited funds these days, but if I can sell my house I will buy a brand new shiny HD-650.

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #7,721 of 46,514
Quote:

I got a little bass bleed on my HD-650 when I had it. Could have been my crappy DAC or source. This was with basically any CD player too. Maybe it was just on very warm recordings or something.
I actually didn't realize this until I EQed down the bass. Since I have a new DAC I want to try it again when it drops to $320. ODAC should be nice with it.

The more I think about it, the stock cable does create some slight bass bloat. It seems the stock cable is a bit slow with the bass and it causes individual notes to overlap and create bleed. The SPC cable I have fixes that and really tightens the bass. I'd recommend that combo (silver-plated copper) to anyone looking for an easy (and reversible) improvement that still maintains the general relaxing sound signature albeit slightly brighter and tighter.

Doing some reading at the moment on the science of cable design and definitely a believer. I know there are those that doubt cables, but on scalable headphones like the HD650s (and my SE535 in-ears) cables make a big difference!

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #7,722 of 46,514
Quote:

The more I think about it, the stock cable does create some slight bass bloat. It seems the stock cable is a bit slow with the bass and it causes individual notes to overlap and create bleed. The SPC cable I have fixes that and really tightens the bass. I'd recommend that combo (silver-plated copper) to anyone looking for an easy (and reversible) improvement that still maintains the general relaxing sound signature albeit slightly brighter and tighter.

Doing some reading at the moment on the science of cable design and definitely a believer. I know there are those that doubt cables, but on scalable headphones like the HD650s (and my SE535 in-ears) cables make a big difference!

Someone could probably get a similar result with a very low capacitance wire. Maybe Cat 6 or Belden 1192A. I always wanted to try this, but never got it done. I made a Canare wire with my HD-650 once and that was a mistake..

I used a silver plated copper cable with my Q701 and it made it too thin and less warm. It now makes perfect sense why I might like that with the HD-650.

Believe it or not Belden makes a budget version of silver plated copper that is of the Starquad variety (no sleeving required). Too hard to get it outside of bulk though. Probably costs $2/foot. 1172A or something.

I bet SPC is very similar to Cat 6. Too bad Cat6 is impossible to work with for headphone cables.

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #7,723 of 46,514
Hi Tilpo,

Yeah, it only happens on some tracks. Usually it's not a problem.
And also note that I wrote my entire impressions by comparing it to my SR-202, a very bright electrostatic headphone. It could be that such bleeding into the mids is more noticeable win contrast to my SR-202, but not really that noticeable in most cases when just listening to it alone.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #7,724 of 46,514
Hi guys,long time lurker here,especially on this thread.
I need some advise from more experienced users here,considering that those living in US and Europe and Asia too may know a little more than me.

Although i know the legendary HD650 is a model released many years ago,i found that in the past some site were selling this HP for more less than the same sites today,because i don't find any new for less than 350 dollars.
I know this because looking to old related thread on Head-Fi many users had their HD650 for about 300\350 dollars on JR and TTVJ for example,but today those site quote their models for about 500 dollars so i know that even trying to bargain with them directly i wont be able to lower the price very much.
I am not planning in looking for a used pair because if i don't like it's sound signature i can easily sell them in Brazil for the same price (the cheaper new model i found here was about 650 dollars).
I found a pair of new HD650 with free international shipping on accessoryjack (they seem to be a good ranked sellers) for 400 dollars,but i don't have yet contacted them to know if that model is the one with metal damping material and if they can declare a low value to avoid any excessive a idiotic overtax fee from my own country.
I am taking the right direction folks?
I hope i can join this thread ad the HD650 seem to be an HP that suits my sound preferences.
Salute
Antonio

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #7,725 of 46,514
Quote:

Someone could probably get a similar result with a very low capacitance wire. Maybe Cat 6 or Belden 1192A. I always wanted to try this, but never got it done. I made a Canare wire with my HD-650 once and that was a mistake..

I used a silver plated copper cable with my Q701 and it made it too thin and less warm. It now makes perfect sense why I might like that with the HD-650.

I have my 650s with a pair of twspc cables.
And i notice they improved my 650s by quite a margin.
I used to EQ them but i no longer do.
I also notice the bass can be overwhelming at times but silver content in the cables kind of tames it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back